Latest fad a Smart bet

Latest fad a Smart bet

There are 4 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 9, 2007, titled Latest fad a Smart bet. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Fads sometimes require sacrifice. Like inhaling sushi. Or conserving fuel. The former has you eating raw fish; the latter means buying a vehicle with a pack of batteries to do some of the work -- at a $5,000 ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Regulus Black

Camano Island, WA

#1 Dec 9, 2007
Good Review. Let's weigh the pluses and minuses.

Low cost - Huge.
High Mileage - Huge.

Small - not great but OK for a commuter.
BobL

United States

#2 Dec 9, 2007
While the gas mileage isn't as high as I would have expected--although that is probably somewhat due to the EPA's new calculations--this would be a smart bet for commuters, allowing them to own a new, inexpensive second car instead of driving alone in the Suburban or Tahoe to work.

Also, I understand that the smart is manufactured in a very "green" plant, so it uses less material and generates less waste. Good for the environment there, too.
Bob

Washington, DC

#3 Dec 10, 2007
Where's a picture?
Mike Cember

United States

#4 Dec 13, 2007
Even as a fashion statement, I don't get why anyone would want one. The world is full of "city cars" that are small, get 40+ mpg, and carry 4 people in reasonable comfort. I just returned from Aruba, where the Chevrolet Spark, the Hyundai Getz and the Kia Picanto are popular. VW makes 2 cars (the Polo and the Fox) that are smaller than anyting they sell in the US. Toyota makes the 134" Aygo, with 4 seats and 5 doors. The only thing I can think of in favor of the SmartCar is that it might open the US to the whole city car idea, and give us more choice at the small car end of the spectrum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Jehovah Witness is a Dangerous CULT - Keep ... (Jul '12) 10 hr Darren 20
News $3.5 Million Bond In Deadly Waukegan Gang Shooting (Jun '08) Jun 16 Unknown 44
News Attorney: Ari Squire's Wife Not Involved In Twi... (Mar '08) May 27 Unk 59
Wheeling's name Origin (Aug '10) May 23 Hillbilly 2
Whos that girl May '17 Well then 2
News 'Power' move by male students ruffles U. of C. (May '09) May '16 USA2Elsewhere 1,710
News Get the Best Gas Fireplace Installation Service... (Nov '13) Oct '14 Jerry Boggs 2

Lake Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake Bluff Mortgages