Men's group forms at University of Chicago

Full story: Chicago Tribune

A group of University of Chicago students thinks it's time the campus focused more on its men.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Jun 1, 2009

“End Corporate Domination!”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

I want to write them a note of encouragement. Men have been undervalued in various unfair and insidious ways for a long time, not just by general society but more recently by women and the media. Where is a link to contact this courageous group?
Handy Andy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Good for the men. Of course MSNBC had one of their hack anchors sit there with a digusted look on her face (she was black btw) as she interviewed Steve Saltarelli, the president of Men in Power. Guess that's why MSNBC is turning into a regional cable network - local only to total idiots.
U of C Parent

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Oh come on!
U of C Parent

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Seriously!
Par Par

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

U of C Parent wrote:
Oh come on!
Indeed!
Par Par

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

U of C Parent wrote:
Seriously!
Very!
James H

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

I'm neutral on the group. Still, if you've got eight different groups representing women's issues and interests, then I don't see how a single men's group hurts.
Len Firewood

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

For far too long men have been coerced into accepting that because they are the supposed 'privileged sex' then by default everything is set up for them and is in their favour. This is absolute nonsense as the statistics on a wide range of indicators reveal.(Education,Health Spending, Family Courts and Custody issues, Employment, Workplace deaths and serious injuries, mortality rate etc). This myth of privilege has been promoted mainly by radical feminism which uses the Frontman Fallacy as one of it's primary arguments - the Frontman Fallacy assumes that where there is a predominance (say in Politics) of men in positions of power then automatically they will favour their own sex above the opposite. Well this seems to hold more true of radical feminists because male chivalry both personal and political actually favours women's interests before mens. That's why I say 'about time too'- men need to be more positive and assertive about their goals - after all do we not laud those very qualities in women too these days?
jackal

Jefferson, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Another organization for men is nothing new. There have been hundreds ever since the National Organization for Woman made fashionable the no-fault divorce laws more than a generation ago, however, no one men's group has ever risen to national ranking. As long as the law unfairly favors woman over men, things will continue to decline for men -- and the family and children. Before suffrage, upper most in the minds of men had been the fact that both males and females make up but one species, and men accordingly operated on the premise that what is good for the species is better than what is good for men, alone. Throughout history and prior to suffrage, men have toiled for the species, served as firemen and police for species, died for the freedom of the species, and -- this is key -- even placed women and children above their own gender. My father didn't have many friends because he had no spare time after dedicating his entire life to his family. Ever since the early Victorian age and suffrage, crimes against woman have steadily increased. By the time the Sixties arrived, female power began to catapult into the forefront of society -- and crime was right on its heels. We now live in a time when it's no longer safe on streets -- day or night -- for either sex. As female power escalated, so did growth in government, so much so that all government combined now squanders more than 50% of GNP. In other words, every other paycheck goes to the government. The national debt is already pegged at more than half-a-million dollars for every family -- with no end in sight. The longer that woman are at the helm, the more that family and children continue to decline. Decline under female rule is nothing new. Isabella of Spain gave us the Inquisition and drove out the Jews. Under female rule, irresponsible woman are like drunken sailors, only their elixir isn't alcohol. Instead, it's self-absorption, taken to art-form never before written in history. Everywhere today woman dress near-naked, strutting their bodies where once was confined to the cabarets. Self-absorption is not limited to single women, but in fact dominated by married woman devoid of self-respect for themselves, family and spouse. When men were in charge, woman were the object of a man's attention. Today, the only way any woman can get any attention is by offering sex. As anyone familiar with sex already knows, it's not a strategy that lends itself to any long-term objectives. Samuel Johnson in the 18th century said: "Nature has given women so much power that the law has very wisely given them little." In fact, woman had more power before suffrage than after. The time has passed to put a collar on the selfishness that has already ruined the lives for tens of millions of children, children who will never recover. It will take generations to undue the damage caused by suffrage and the upset in the balance of power between the sexes.
GBro

Warsaw, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2009

I grew up in an era of female elementary school teachers who did not understand the psychology of young males. Men were often maligned and made to feel inferior in many of our classes. The only role-models for boys were fierce elementary school principals who doled out punishment on the boys at the behest of the women teachers who often had an axe to grind on their wards.

Boys were often left with competitive sports and ex-military male coaches to whip them into line.
It was rare, except in Scouting, to find an atmosphere that was non-competitive and cooperative. Boys were otherwise expected to compete with one another and stab each other in the back to get ahead. The system produced young men cut off from their emotions and never rightfully nurtured by positive, loving male models.
Richard Stephens

Old Westbury, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

I am a white male. I have little power and little money. Many of the people who have or have had power over me (bosses, government buraucrats influencing important events in my life), are women and "minority" members. I was excluded from certain scholarship offerings because of my sex and race. Nevertheless I am the first person in my family -- and in my trailer park -- to get a college education. Yet the government funds hate language against men and fathers, painting us all with the same brush. Bravo to the emerging international men's movement.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lake Bluff Discussions

Search the Lake Bluff Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 8 min Cold hard facts 3,898
Animal Rescue Group: Man Charged with Arizona M... (Oct '12) 13 min Punish him good 3
Walmart Seeks Northbrook Location (Dec '12) 19 min Lake County Citizen 2
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 35 min Cali Girl 2014 49,240
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) 4 hr Weneedchange 147
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Mon newpoly 1,898
Judge jay ukena (Mar '13) Aug 13 Observant 128
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lake Bluff Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lake Bluff People Search