Missouri child-support law change touches many issues

Sep 8, 2007 | Posted by: Kansas City Star | Full story: Kansas City Star

“This is not in the best interest of Missouri's children”

Children, according to popular notion, don't buy Johnnie Walker Red or engage enemy combatants in Iraq.

So why should parents be required to pay child support for someone old enough to do either?

A Missouri lawmaker from Belton doesn't think they should. Rep. Brian Baker pushed for change, and last week a new state law dropped the maximum age for child support from 22 to 21. It also set new academic standards for students whose parents receive child support.

Baker, a Republican, had wanted the limit to fall to 18, because that is when people first can vote. It is also the age at which most states, including Kansas, draw the line for child support. Read more

Comments
1 - 20 of 4,296 Comments Last updated Mar 29, 2014
First Prev
of 215
Next Last
Upset Mother

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

Judged:

This issue is infuriating to me. What about those children still in college. First of all I don't like it when Missouri compares itself with Kansas. We are our own entity and the Royals are Missouri's and the Chief's are Missouri's and Kansas can have their own everything and we don't need to compare ourselves to them at all. So what if their age limit is 18 for child support. We can be different. Why are we so interested in the cutoff age anyway when their are bigger issues at hand in regards to child support. What about enforcement issues it isn't easy being a parent in this day and age let alone a single parent with no help from the non-custodial parent. We need to worry more about enforcement and punishment for those who don't stand up and care for that which they helped to create. Don't get me started, I have fought for my children's rights for their entire lives to get the help that they deserved from their father. To end up with nothing because he drank and smoked himself to death before the youngest was 14. I have raised them all alone and they have gone without. Without nice clothes with out school pictures, with out yearbooks without the love of a father and much much more so just don't get me started on something so trivial as lowering the age limit for payment because I'll give you an earfull. Mr. Baker you need to think again about where you stand and work to help the children and single parents not hinder them.
Just Mom

Monett, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Judged:

Hold on a minute...I am a mother too. Why should a non-custodial parent continue to pay for a child who is 18, and no longer a minor??? Why should a non-custodial parent be forced to pay child support when the non minor attends college. Why can't the child get a job, get a student loan, get a grant, just like anyone else??? I have a child who's parent passed away when she was 18 months old, do you think social security is going to pay when she goes to college, NO. Social Security stops at age 18..period. She will have to get loans, a job, whatever it takes for her to attend college. When you are 18 or graduate from high school, you are an adult...they need to take on the resposiblities of an adult, and make their own way. I had to make my own way. Who says that parents that are still married will pay for their children to go to college?
curious dad

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2007

Judged:

what is the definition of a single mother? if someone can answer that for me that would be great!
loving dad

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2007

Judged:

my concern is what about the father who has always taken care of his child or children but no longer has ties with the childs mother due to certain circumstances in which the mother has married moved the child to another state and his child being raised by a man he doesn't even know. like curious dad asked what is the true criteria of a single mother? what about a father who may has fallen on hard times and is trying to put his life together to make a better life for him and his child. i know there are fathers out there that do not do the right thing but what about the ones that do? where is there justice and due process? how do we know that the mother isn't using this form of legal support for her own gain or just to hurt the father. who decides these cases for the women to have the right to take such actions without being investigated first and see if they really need this type of support. i love my child beyond measure and sometimes cry myself to sleep because i am not with him. what can a father due when his own country doesn't allow him to be a father to his child. we talk about our kids not being able to survive without a father figure in our childs life where is our support who helps us. this puzzles me someone answer these questions sincerely loving dad.
Child support paying Dad

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2007

Judged:

The whole child support system is not in the best
interest of children.. It has destroyed and will continue to destroy more families because most
women have abused child support, due to lack of
accountability.(ie purchase Lexus,Mercedes,expensive clothing). Child support
is use as a weapon, its gets a lot of people killed and it has destroyed the family in america as we have known it. Be responsible or don't have a child with someone who isn't. Leave the money out of expropreation.
Fenton MO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2007

Judged:

Child support is a difficult subject and no most women who get child support are not abusing the system. The money goes towards room and board, insurance, food, clothes, medical bills, school supplies and projects and yes sometimes entertainment. The majority of women I know including myself who should be receiving child support do not recieve it. I know it is hard to pay child support and have your own place, but guess what the custodial parent is pulling off having there own place and paying for a child. My ex and I have been apart for 6.5 years and he owes over 30,000 in back child support. If you think a child doesn't cost that much, take this into consideration $180 a month in prescriptions (this is with insurance) $210 a month in child care so I can work (this is just after school) say 160 a month for food (Just the kids portion) That is 550 a month which is $6600 a year and that is not including clothes, school activities extra money for rent or mortgage for a bigger place and so on. Oh yeah I have figured it out on average kids cost about 9700 a year to raise, feed and bathe. I am sorry if you don't get to see your children, I have custody of mine and don't get to see her much either because I am working my butt of to keep a roof over her head. I do think after 18 child support should not be mandatory but if a non custodial parent is behind when the child turns 18 they should pay the custodial parent until they are caught up. I sacrifice and so does my daughter. Her father not so much.
KS vs MO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Judged:

The main difference that I've seen regarding child support enforcement is that Kansas actually does enforce child support orders whereas MO is VERY lax. The does not appear any to be any willingness on the part of the offices of MO's Child Support Enforcement to go after the deadbeat parent. In KS, you have no choice. They suck it right out of your pay check. If you do the old job switcharoo, they'll find you. I have no problem with a state suspending driver's license or professional licenses of deadbeat parents. Will this catch or effect every deadbeat, no. But it will help at least some.
a concerned parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Judged:

My concern stems from the idea that an education beyond high school in this country is considered a privilege and not a guarantee. Why should divorced parents have a court order in place to pay for a post secondary education when married parents are not held to the same legal mandate. If my husband and I could not afford to pay for university for our children then the judicial system would not force us to do so. It is unfortunate that there are so many children with divorced parents in this country but it needs to be fair. My husband has a child from a previous relationship. Why should the legal system order us to pay for education for one child and not another. I
stepmom

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2007

Judged:

While it may be a majority of men, their are also non-paying mothers, too. While my husbands exwife is 2 years behind on support, we can't help but feel that their is a different set of laws for non-custodial women. If it were my husband behind that much he would have had his licence taken away already and probably put in jail. As far as cutting off child support at 18, my stepson will be 18 in April of his junior year of high school. Shouldn't he get support until he's graduated?
Split week DAD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2007

Judged:

I know that there are Dad's out there that may hate me because I fought my ex through the court system to get my son exactly half of the week and pay NO child support. I do put money aside for my ex to use for school supplies, activities, and presents. Most of the time she doesn't even use that money, so we put it in a separate college fund for our son.

The point is, no courts should have to force anyone to take care of their kids. They are the best thing that have ever happened to us. They are the reasons that we have to go on and be successful. They are our future and it is the parents job to teach them to be a useful person in society. Not a loser on welfare or a drugdealer. We have to teach our kids how to work hard and respect everyone. I personally know a guy that has six kids and gives them no support. My mother had four kids and my father never gave her a dime in child support. I kind of have a bit of anger with her because she never went after him. If you are a single mother that is too afraid to go to court and get what is owed to your child, then you are a COWARD!!!! Your kids will resent you when you get older. And if you are a deadbeat dad, then you might as well drive your car off a bridge so at least the kids can get Social Security (LOSER).
wifey

Waynesville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

Judged:

I think that the child support money should be used like a WIC voucher is: The money that a woman recieves from child support should only be spent on the child, and i think they need to make the child support checks into vouchers that can only be spent on certain things, like food, school supplies, clothes, etc. I see so many women out there getting child support and using it on crap. ANd i see so many women out there who dont care about teh father of the child, just his money.
Charity

Independence, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

Judged:

KS vs MO wrote:
The main difference that I've seen regarding child support enforcement is that Kansas actually does enforce child support orders whereas MO is VERY lax. The does not appear any to be any willingness on the part of the offices of MO's Child Support Enforcement to go after the deadbeat parent. In KS, you have no choice. They suck it right out of your pay check. If you do the old job switcharoo, they'll find you. I have no problem with a state suspending driver's license or professional licenses of deadbeat parents. Will this catch or effect every deadbeat, no. But it will help at least some.
I would love to know who you are receiving help from in the State of Kansas, my ex-husband lives in Kansas he is currently $34,000.00 behind I have contacted the State of Kansas, the Interstate Child Support Division and the Governor herself and have been informed that Kansas considers my ex in compliance with his child support as long as a payment of any amount is made within any given 90 day period. My attorney thought I was crazy telling him I was getting no place with the great State of Kansas and was shocked when he was informed the same. My ex-husband lives in Kansas, has a drivers license, owns his own business with trucks, mowers and to much other business equipment to mention, has bought and sold property at a profit, has a $40k boat, lives the high life while my children are considered lucky by State of Kansas to get his bread crumbs hey he drops a hundred or so here or there so Kansas laws says he can continue to work, drive, live, have a great life at no threat of losing it how does this make any sense. My current husband and I live in Missouri a few years ago he got down on his child support by 1.5 MONTHS and was summound to court in order to keep his license yet my ex is over $32k behind and Kansas can't do anything they enforce Kansas laws even though the order is out of Missouri the laws of Missouri can not be applied only KS laws which are nothing short of a joke, try paying what ever you want on your house payment every ninety days and see how long you get to keep your home yet Kansas considers any payment of any amount in a 90 day period acceptable for the care of children are you serious?
concerned

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

Judged:

I am a child of a debt father. Money was always tight and I had to drop out of college because of the lack of child support. It was up to my mother and I to try to swing it. I consider myself lucky to recieve the 2 yrs of education I did get but it infurates me this man had no resonsablities to make sure my education was continued. If you think missouri is lax on child support laws try dealing with Indania - that is where he ran to.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

Judged:

Im a dad living in MO. The ex and kids live in KS. I pay EVERY month at the 1st. I started out paying $1300.00 a month. I pay $1000.00 now. The other kid turns 18 next June and will be DONE! Thank god! I've been paying since 1999. Its just a damn shame the ex never saved any of that money and give it to the kids when they turned 18! What a pity!

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

Judged:

KS vs MO wrote:
I agree, MO is way too lax on these deadbeat dads!!!!
Just Mom

Monett, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

Judged:

concerned wrote:
I am a child of a debt father. Money was always tight and I had to drop out of college because of the lack of child support. It was up to my mother and I to try to swing it. I consider myself lucky to recieve the 2 yrs of education I did get but it infurates me this man had no resonsablities to make sure my education was continued. If you think missouri is lax on child support laws try dealing with Indania - that is where he ran to.
Concerned- you say it infuriates you that this man has not responsiblities to make sure your education was continued....your a graduate from high school, why is it his resposibility or even your mothers? Your an adult you figure out how to further your education. At age 18 anyone can legally enter into a contract, why should a non-custodial parent be forced to continue support if a young adult wants to further their education. Maybe part of the education is paying for it.
Fatherless

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

Judged:

Dear Concerned - You're a prime example of why support needs to stop at 18. As an adult, if you have failed to further your education, you have only yourself to blame. Your father would have been wasting his money. Fatherless at 11.
outraged

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2007

Judged:

I'd be happy to receive my child support as a voucher to use toward clothing, school supplies, child care etc .. the pittiful amount I'm supposed to be getting dosen't even cover the day care expenses for my child, and he's only there 3 days a week. If he would just pay for that directly that'd make me happy, but I am expected to pay for everything without any help, when he's been orderd to help and wants the benefits of being a dad -- time with our son etc, but none of the responsiblity. i'm thankful that he wants to spend time with his son, but i also think it's not fair that he's the one with all the toys .. a new computer, cable tv, an ipod, a new digital camera, and yet he pays not one single dime. That is unfair.

“Here kitty kitty...”

Since: Apr 07

Joplin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2007

Judged:

curious dad wrote:
what is the definition of a single mother? if someone can answer that for me that would be great!
Are you kidding me? Why ask that question?

“Here kitty kitty...”

Since: Apr 07

Joplin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2007

Judged:

How many of you on here actually have to fight for your support? I am a single mom of six and have put myself thru college and am continuing my education. CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT is A FRIGGING JOKE.It completely blows my mind how you tend to think just because your child turns 18 then they can handle life all on their own, let's just push them out of the nest. Time to move on. Have you never had to borrow money from your parents when you were older than 18 to fix your car or buy a meal or bag of groceries? If you think your obligation to them stops because they enter draft age then why did you have children? They are a lifelong commitment people, not a trophy for enduring years of marriage. We send them unequipped into a world full of unknowns when they are still learning to be people themselves. Now we have a bunch of butthole politicians telling us when to cut the strings for supporting our children? It's astounding especially since most of you paying support had to be ordered to do so in the first place. How about in the next life you opt to wear a condom or perhaps two to prevent yourselves from obtaining the "parent" sticker. What a sad waste, and we wonder why this Earth and our children are going to hell in a handbasket.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 215
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Lake Annette Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Lake Annette Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••