Amish workers hit hard by recession

Amish workers hit hard by recession

There are 49 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 18, 2009, titled Amish workers hit hard by recession. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

GOSHEN, Ind. - The Amish are defined by their religious beliefs, shunning modern conventions such as automobiles, insurance and electricity in their houses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Howie

Willowbrook, IL

#3 Apr 19, 2009
Obamanomics Fails wrote:
If you think losing your job is bad wait... The only thing BO's gianormous spending bill will stimulate is inflation. See if you like a $1000 loaf of Obama bread...
On.e
A.$$
Mis.take
Am.erica
So often, it's easier to blame others than ourselves. I suspect that your contempt for Obama allows you to avoid dealing with the real issue of your own gross inadequacy. Good luck.
tuckeredout

United States

#4 Apr 19, 2009
Howie, Obamamonics Falls right. Inflation and higher taxes are on the rise, but I don't eat bread so I don't have to worry about a $1,000 loaf. I'm living off the land here in Chicago.
that_girl

Bloomingdale, IL

#5 Apr 19, 2009
once again, someone oversimplifies the Mennonites. It's more than just the Amish with cars and electricity. The Mennonites came first! Sigh.
Marsha

New Orleans, LA

#6 Apr 19, 2009
blitherer wrote:
Boo-F-in-Hoo,now's the time to start taxing them on their buisness.
Perhaps we should put YOU out to pasture, since what is taxing is your condescension and ignorance.
ReadingisaSkill

United States

#7 Apr 19, 2009
blitherer wrote:
Boo-F-in-Hoo,now's the time to start taxing them on their buisness.
They pay taxes just like everybody else. A closer reading of the article should have made that clear.
Homer

Pella, IA

#9 Apr 19, 2009
Gosh...can't they just make more of those widely advertised Amish Electric Fireplaces? After all, the Amish and electricity just naturally go together.
david wayne osedach

San Marcos, CA

#10 Apr 19, 2009
The Amish will weather out this recession and be stronger for it.
Wow

Chicago, IL

#11 Apr 19, 2009
Isn't the whole point of the Amish that they shun technology and modern conveniences and live off the land because to participate in the world will corrupt them? If they had maintained their agrarian lifestyle and kept manageable families they would not have needed to drive cars to get to chase factory jobs to pay for shopping trips.
Chibos

Chicago, IL

#12 Apr 19, 2009
Thanks to the Trib for a brief but interesting article and for moving the issue beyond Chicago and the larger national political battles. I know how the economic issues are impacting my family. This story shows me how the economy impacts families in other communities that I had (wrongly) assumed were more insulated. This is exactly the stuff beyond the sound-bites that I look for in my news.
American jobs

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Apr 19, 2009
That is what these are...and high paying. I hope when the economy improves they can turn the area into the "furniture belt of
America." Buying good quality furniture is a terrific investment, versus foreign made garbage that breaks after just a few years, or isis wood-looking, but just pressed board and dark stain. Best of luck to these craftspeople.
A Guy

Chicago, IL

#14 Apr 19, 2009
This situation represents an illustration of the absurdity of cult communities. As separate and righteous as they believe themselves to be they are, in fact, just as dependent on Wall Street and the financial markets as a hard-drinkin' Joe Lunch Bucket.

Since: Apr 08

Chicago...but now in Tampa

#16 Apr 19, 2009
Wow wrote:
Isn't the whole point of the Amish that they shun technology and modern conveniences and live off the land because to participate in the world will corrupt them? If they had maintained their agrarian lifestyle and kept manageable families they would not have needed to drive cars to get to chase factory jobs to pay for shopping trips.
Perhaps many of them have maintained their traditional ways, however that does not necessarily insulate them from the higher taxes and cost of living today. Farming, in particular the method of non-commercial farming that Amish do, will not make anyone wealthy. In times of rising taxes and cost of living, subsistence farming does not provide enough to raise a family. In those circumstances they must branch out into ways of earning income other than farming.
Dave Coyne

Levittown, PA

#18 Apr 19, 2009
Excellent article about my home, Goshen. When I first started working with Amish in RV factories, I tended to focus on differences rather than what we have in common. After twenty years I have learned that most Amish are remarkably like the rest of us – only harder working and better behaved. You rarely see Amish mentioned in the Police Notes in the Goshen News. I like to think that I have benefitted from their example.
SuzieIsDrinking

Orlando, FL

#19 Apr 19, 2009
Suzie avoids reading and left out the true blame and the causes of our country going broke. It may be due to her hitting the Jack Daniels hard. The truth is:

a) Dubya and the Goof party waged 2 wars at the same time while outsourcing services to Haliburton and Blackwater USA, his homies.
b) Dubya and the Goof party increased deregulation and looked the other way while Wall Street played. CEO's gone wild.
c) Dubya and Greenspan, who talks out of his ass, lied about the House of Cards we call the Housing boom. May 2005: "The Fed chief said Friday that he didn't see a national housing bubble and that the economy was not at risk, an assertion he had also made in February. "But it's not hard to see that there are a lot of local bubbles," he said Friday, without specifying these local markets. Greenspan said price surges might "simmer down" as housing became less affordable."
d) Middle and lower class jobs outsourced to India and China...no one looking out for us. Not only are our jobs gone, but Corporations are STILL bringing in foreign workers via H1B Visas to work here.

Same old bs that we heard in the 90's..Clinton..Bubba..blah..bl ah..blah.
jsd

Oswego, IL

#20 Apr 19, 2009
Wow wrote:
Exactly isnt this an oxymoron?
Marsha

New Orleans, LA

#21 Apr 19, 2009
A Guy wrote:
This situation represents an illustration of the absurdity of cult communities. As separate and righteous as they believe themselves to be they are, in fact, just as dependent on Wall Street and the financial markets as a hard-drinkin' Joe Lunch Bucket.
You obviously don't know much about the Amish and their beliefs. Otherwise you'd realize how foolish your statements sound.
Chris W

North Port, FL

#22 Apr 19, 2009
SuzieIsDrinking wrote:
Suzie avoids reading and left out the true blame and the causes of our country going broke. It may be due to her hitting the Jack Daniels hard. The truth is:
a) Dubya and the Goof party waged 2 wars at the same time while outsourcing services to Haliburton and Blackwater USA, his homies.
b) Dubya and the Goof party increased deregulation and looked the other way while Wall Street played. CEO's gone wild.
c) Dubya and Greenspan, who talks out of his ****, lied about the House of Cards we call the Housing boom. May 2005: "The Fed chief said Friday that he didn't see a national housing bubble and that the economy was not at risk, an assertion he had also made in February. "But it's not hard to see that there are a lot of local bubbles," he said Friday, without specifying these local markets. Greenspan said price surges might "simmer down" as housing became less affordable."
d) Middle and lower class jobs outsourced to India and China...no one looking out for us. Not only are our jobs gone, but Corporations are STILL bringing in foreign workers via H1B Visas to work here.
Same old bs that we heard in the 90's..Clinton..Bubba..blah..bl ah..blah.
Former President Bush, was required to hire contractors to fulfill military jobs thanks to Mr. Smoke a Joint rather than join the military Clinton.
Greenspan was not just Former President Bush's pick as a Fed Chairman either, he was also Mr. Internet Stock Bubble Clinton's Fed Chairman. Let's put blame where blame is due.
reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

#24 Apr 19, 2009
A Guy wrote:
They are NOT a cult. The world could use more people such as them with high morals and ethics.
Kathleen Johnson

United States

#25 Apr 19, 2009
Here in the Gulf Coast - it is the Armish and Mennonite workers that have provided a huge core part of the re-building. They come time, and time, and time again to work for those who are languishing in the aftermath and provide hope where there has been little to look forward to.
And it has been a universal response from every State in the Union where there has been an Amish population.
And despite the crisis at home in their own communities - they still are coming to assist.
God bless them one and all.
Kathleen Johnson
Waveland, Mississippi
Disgusted

Calumet City, IL

#28 Apr 19, 2009
A Guy wrote:
You are truly an idiot. What cult? They have a an old and established religious belief that guides their way of life. I actually respect for holding to their beliefs more than most "Joe lunchbuckets".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lagrange Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Convict gets more time (Dec '11) Sat russellyoheyisdea... 4
People stealing from unlocked vehicles (Jul '12) Jun 16 Duh 2
Kevin stephens (May '15) Jan '16 Wow 3
verlin under investigation (Sep '14) Nov '15 mom 2
verlin Isaac gay marriage (Sep '14) Nov '15 mom 3
haunted places in mongo (Oct '08) Nov '15 Hamilton 23
amish buggies (Sep '06) Oct '15 Rich 52
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lagrange Mortgages