Letters: More police needed on the To...

Letters: More police needed on the Toll Road

There are 1 comment on the News-Sentinel story from May 10, 2007, titled Letters: More police needed on the Toll Road. In it, News-Sentinel reports that:

I am very upset and concerned with the attitude of the state in its explanation of the 20 deaths at the Middlebury construction zone on the Toll Road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News-Sentinel.

Karyn

United States

#1 Aug 9, 2007
My husband and I camp at the Indian Lakes Campground in Wolcottville, IN on weekends throughout the summer. Our lot faces an Amish farm. I do not know much about them, but I do know that they are very clean, their yards and houses are always in beautiful condition, and that they work their farms hard. Last weekend some boys were riding their horses along the fence line where we camp. My husband talked to these boys. I stayed away and watched from afar because I don’t know their beliefs on what women are suppose to and not suppose to do, and I respected that. They were out there for a little while talking and during that conversation my husband found out that their father was killed in a very bad accident in April 2007. The next day I saw your article. I could not believe what I read. These boys lost their father in that accident. Now, my husband works out in Indiana and pays Indiana taxes so I feel I have the right to speak my mind.

The problem I see is that these families will be taken advantage of by the insurance company. They are of little means and do not believe in suing anyone (if only we could all be like that). They will settle for whatever the insurance company offers without a second thought and live with that. Do people realize that these were families? There are children involved and now the wives have to either do the work that their husbands did, or hire someone. I thought our society was all about “the children”. Well, come on people, what about these children. These people’s lives have been changed unfairly.

I went to truck driving school, got my CDL, and I was taught I was driving a huge piece of machinery that could kill anyone or anything that got in its way. It was continuously repeated to us. In your article it states,“…he was not paying attention to the roadway ahead of him”. If he was a “professional” truck driver, his logs were all good, he was negative on his drug and alcohol test, and there was no mechanical errors or violations, then why? Why wasn’t this man paying attention? He had over a mile to pay attention. Did he make phone calls during this time? Was he on the computer in his truck? Was his television on? What speed was he traveling? This was not an accident, this was a negligent act. There was no reason for these people to die. This man should be held accountable for his severe actions and the lives he has affected. He should lose his drivers license, because I would be afraid to know that people like that truck driver are out there on the same roads that my family and me are traveling. Being a truck driver is a huge responsibility and you should not be doing anything except for paying attention and both hands on the wheel. If he had killed a construction worker though, things would have worked out differently. Construction workers are special people and deserve the full extent that the law allows, where as a normal ‘Joe’ off the street is a nobody. Why is their life more important than anyone else’s? What makes them better than you or me?

These families deserve everything that a lawsuit would get them, without the lawsuit and I wish someone out there could see to that as an anonymous gift, to be sure, these people get what they justly deserve and that the truck driver gets what he justly deserves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lagrange Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sex offender (Mar '08) Jul 21 homonger 14
amish buggy's horse crap (Mar '10) Jul 21 jilga 37
haunted places in mongo (Oct '08) Jan '17 Bre12 24
Erin Huss (Oct '16) Oct '16 Moshpit21 1
Cement tower west of Mongo (Aug '16) Aug '16 Mongo maniac 1
People stealing from unlocked vehicles (Jul '12) Jun '16 Duh 2
Kevin stephens (May '15) Jan '16 Wow 3

Lagrange Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance