Lafayette Caterpillar lays off 439

Full story: WLFI Lafayette

To bring production levels in line with current demand, Caterpillar Inc. Tuesday notified 439 employees at its Lafayette, Indiana, Large Engine Center of layoffs expected to last at least six months.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
are you kidding

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

Figures if you can,t beat them join them IDIOTS!
JustanotherINfam ily

Crown Point, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

My question is why didn't CAT opt for other strategies to maintain their work force here in Lafayette? This is a non-union plant. I understand that no one can predict what the future will hold but the impress that was given upon being hired was CAT will takes care of you. Well, then why In prior meetings was it was mentioned that other options would be done before layoffs? Such as additional shut down times and possible shortened work weeks. WHAT HAPPENED? Why didn't we try this approach before we let 405 people go to the unemployment line? Not to mention all the temps that were let go the first of February? If CATERPILLAR really cared about Lafayette and it's community WHY didn't they put forth a bit more effort in keeping their loyal employees, our friends and families employed?
Reader

West Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

JustanotherINfamily wrote:
My question is why didn't CAT opt for other strategies to maintain their work force here in Lafayette? This is a non-union plant. I understand that no one can predict what the future will hold but the impress that was given upon being hired was CAT will takes care of you. Well, then why In prior meetings was it was mentioned that other options would be done before layoffs? Such as additional shut down times and possible shortened work weeks. WHAT HAPPENED? Why didn't we try this approach before we let 405 people go to the unemployment line? Not to mention all the temps that were let go the first of February? If CATERPILLAR really cared about Lafayette and it's community WHY didn't they put forth a bit more effort in keeping their loyal employees, our friends and families employed?
It is interesting that they elected not to
1) do a shutdown
2) offer pay cuts (including the executives)

It doesn't seem like they made much effort to save employment.
Let's hope it doesn't come out in the news that their corporate execs were paid millions in bonuses.
Tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

It is not just Lafayette that Caterpillar is effected. IL will be cutting 2100 jobs in IL, the first of April. Just be thankful they didn't completely shutdown. The economy is bad so we will have to deal with what comes at us. Unfortunately I am effected by unemployment. Complaining isn't going to make things better. Thank our politicians and Government for this debt that has gotten us in trouble.
JustanotherINfam ily

Crown Point, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

Well Tom....I agree Complaining isn't going to do much good. But Questions on the other hand...Might develop into answers that so many CAT employees are in search of. Not just in Lafayette but all over the US where the cuts are being made.
As for some of the other CAT locations ~ Many are union. When your in the union the company doesn't have the wiggle room to try alternative schedules, or additional shut downs. They are limited but as I mentioned earlier...this doesn't applied here in Lafayette?

Yes..."OUR" Government is to blame but what about the Huge corporations?
bmom401

West Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

My husband has worked on the line for Caterpillar for the last 10 years and has been fortunate enough to have made it through all their layoffs. It has been our experience that they make every attempt to keep their valuable employees. As a company they are planning several weeks of shutdowns in the coming months. We live in unfortunate times and my prayers go out to all those affected.
JS from New Richmond

West Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

It is so sad because it affects not only the workers, but their wives/husbands, children, pets, communitites, etc...The trickle down effect will be great. Many will heve to move because there is not much work to be had in Lafayette right now. Even minimum wage jobs have been swiped up. God be with the families. I hope government starts paying as much attention to the common man as they do the numbers on the stock market...
Old Guy

The Villages, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

I could see this coming , but I am surprised at the size of the layoff!
Another CAT family

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

I hope you are right Bmom401. We had heard CAT was an excellent company to work for. That is why my husband made the career move. He has been very pleased there and would be happy to receive a call back. I just hope it's sooner than later.:0) I'll be praying for us all! It has to get better....Doesn't it?
CAT wifeandmother

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

The news says that CAT expects the layoffs to go on for at least another 6 months...does this mean more lay offs besides the 439 employees or does this mean that these 439 employees will only be laid off for at least six months? My Husband works at CAT and he told me tonight over the phone that he was not laid off and that there are 40 or so people beneath him still. This makes me sick to my stomach. He says that if they lay off again in the 3rd or 4th quarter he probably be let go. How likely do you think these employees will be hired back to CAT before one year?
CAT observer

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

CAT wifeandmother wrote:
The news says that CAT expects the layoffs to go on for at least another 6 months...does this mean more lay offs besides the 439 employees or does this mean that these 439 employees will only be laid off for at least six months? My Husband works at CAT and he told me tonight over the phone that he was not laid off and that there are 40 or so people beneath him still. This makes me sick to my stomach. He says that if they lay off again in the 3rd or 4th quarter he probably be let go. How likely do you think these employees will be hired back to CAT before one year?
In all honesty and from experience, you can expect more layoffs announced in the next three to six months. The mere size of this announcement is an indication of the seriousness of the circumstances. Call backs should not be expected for fifteen to twenty four months or longer. When all of this happened to my very large corporation in the mid-nineties, the workforce was slashed from 78,000 to 43,000. However, the corporation has survived and is still around today...that is the ultimate goal. I received some excellent advice at that time "lie low and pay off what you owe". I did just that and would suggest to all CAT employees that they do the same.
Interesting

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2011

Its very funny how everyone is talking about how CAT is laying off so many people, when they strongly supported Obama for president....even the stimulus package if I remember correctly! Sort of ironic! Hows that working out for you CAT?
Citizen Kane

Frankfort, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Interesting wrote:
Its very funny how everyone is talking about how CAT is laying off so many people, when they strongly supported Obama for president....even the stimulus package if I remember correctly! Sort of ironic! Hows that working out for you CAT?
Obviously an uninformed company if they supported Obama. How is that working out for you CAT?
Brian

Edwardsville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

This is what happenes when union demands exceed what aworker is actually worth. The union greed is second to none and is the reason why jobs are leaving the country

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Lafayette Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Lafayette People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance