Cell phone confiscation probed

Cell phone confiscation probed

There are 126 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from May 19, 2007, titled Cell phone confiscation probed. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A special prosecutor will determine if a judge did anything illegal when he confiscated a Purdue University student's cell phone after it rang during a class he was teaching, and afterward refused to return it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
judge jerk

United States

#1 May 20, 2007
Elected official? Bet not next time. What a jerk.
Thomas Crane

Michigan City, IN

#2 May 20, 2007
Judges often turn into little Hitlers. Just ask any attorney who deals with them daily.
A Friend

Chicago, IL

#3 May 20, 2007
Who's the jerk here??? The punk kid, that's who's the jerk! Family energency my eye. Just another spoiled baby, I guarentee it. If it were an emergency, the punk, er I mean "student" should/could have excused himself and left the room.
And what is wrong with this police department? My word! Since when is it "theft" for a teacher to confiscate some item that is disrupting a classroom? That new president/soccer mom needs to get some training into this brilliant police force...theft...holy cow! Hooray for that professor/judge.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#4 May 20, 2007
Friend, what do you expect? They learn this in our public high schools today.
Hmm

United States

#5 May 20, 2007
judge jerk wrote:
Elected official? Bet not next time. What a jerk.
The person who posted this is indeed a jerk and ignorant also.
Money

Indianapolis, IN

#6 May 20, 2007
Let's not forget he is a punk oh sorry, student that pays 20+ thousand a year to go to school. Lets not hurt his feelings too bad, he may take his education/money elsewhere.
Wrong

AOL

#7 May 20, 2007
Class, today's lesson is how to become considerate of others. It's too bad the student never learned this earlier in life.
Ogre

Indianapolis, IN

#8 May 20, 2007
He should have taken the phone away and chucked it against the wall. I guarantee no one would have disrupted class again.
Kumar

Avon, IN

#9 May 20, 2007
That student was being a tool and apparently learned the lesson that the prof was trying to set up by having the dean give the phone back.

What were seeing here is lack of any sense of cell phone courtesy/etiquette.
Even if it's a so-called emergency (as people feel that everything that comes across their cell is anymore), HOW HARD IS IT to excuse yourself from class? It shows that you think you not only need to take this call/text, but that you respect your prof and classmates by leaving the room.
Retired Police Officer

Newburgh, IN

#10 May 20, 2007
A Friend wrote:
Who's the jerk here??? The punk kid, that's who's the jerk! Family energency my eye. Just another spoiled baby, I guarentee it. If it were an emergency, the punk, er I mean "student" should/could have excused himself and left the room.
And what is wrong with this police department? My word! Since when is it "theft" for a teacher to confiscate some item that is disrupting a classroom? That new president/soccer mom needs to get some training into this brilliant police force...theft...holy cow! Hooray for that professor/judge.
I couldn't have stated it in any better fashion! Spoiled punk kid is right..........
A Friend

Chicago, IL

#11 May 20, 2007
DavidM wrote:
Friend, what do you expect? They learn this in our public high schools today.
You're almost right...it actually goes back a little farther...to elementary school. The guy who wrote the book, "Everything I Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten" was right. Sadly, either curtesy and sharing aren't taught there anymore and/or it's not being reinforced in the following grades.
I teach in a local high school--trust me, I talk about such things. Our school gave up even trying to keep cell phones away from kids, they're just not "supposed" to have them out in the open--yeah right!
Retired Police Officer

Newburgh, IN

#12 May 20, 2007
Hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
The person who posted this is indeed a jerk and ignorant also.
I fully agree..........
Roy Bean

Merrillville, IN

#13 May 20, 2007
I always set my cell phone to "vibrate" or "silent" before going into classrooms, libraries, etc.
How sad

San Francisco, CA

#14 May 20, 2007
It's pretty pathetic that a judge doesn't know the definition of theft.

Kick the kid out of class or take away the phone for the rest of class if he wants to stay.
Amazing

Claypool, IN

#15 May 20, 2007
It's an emergency! My baby's momma ran out of smokes and malt liquor!
concernedhoosier

Virginia Beach, VA

#16 May 20, 2007
The kid should learn a lesson here about what is appropriate in certain situations and what is not. What about all the other people in that class that are tying to learn and paying alot of money for the PRIVELEDGE of attending that class. If the emergency situation was that bad what was he doing in class that day anyway?

The kid should have known better, he disrespected the prof and the rest of the class with his behaviour.
Ejected Student

AOL

#17 May 20, 2007
Rather than confiscate the phone he should have asked the student to leave.
IndyTeach

Fishers, IN

#18 May 20, 2007
I teach high school on the north side. I had 3 kids using cell phones in class on Friday - all were text messaging during class. I took the first two kids' phones away and gave them back at the end of the day (first offenses). The third kid had his taken away and his parents will have to retrieve it from the Dean's Office (second offense). It really is getting out of control in the classroom. They use the phones to do basic chatting, yes, but also to cheat and to bully.

However, I have NEVER had a students refuse to turn off a phone when requested, as the student in this story did. Wow!
inindy

AOL

#19 May 20, 2007
My 4 year old great-grandaughter knows to turn an object off if ask to, or told to...How old was this spoiled brat ? I blame this on Mommy & Daddy...(not good parenting)...
PHATE

Rushville, IN

#20 May 20, 2007
`My god! you people are pathetic! 1) He was a judge, not a prof. Granted the kid should have put it on vibrate, but still. the Judge had no right to take it. it was not in court so his "powers" were bs!
If he were at the store and behind someone with 15 items instead of 12 would he use his "powers" to order them to return 3 items?

HE STOLE THE KIDS PHONE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lafayette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WL residents pick up speed in battle to slow do... Wed zzzz 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Jul 20 realism 34
Information needed Jun '15 curious 1
ISO family of Thomas Matthew Farrell (Senior).... Jun '15 Ranae 1
News WLFI will be available on DISH Network (Mar '08) Jun '15 David Keller 13
Shut down hotels/motels (Nov '14) Jun '15 hometownhub 2
Michael Hickman Jun '15 Mr Pete 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lafayette Mortgages