Changes to welfare hurts some

Full story: WLFI Lafayette 6
Advocates for the poor and disabled say fewer people are getting welfare services since the state privatized the system nearly two years ago. Full Story
lillyalex

Downers Grove, IL

#1 Apr 2, 2009
What people fail to realize is there are record numbers of people who are applying for assistance. In Lafayette the public assistance system is the old system. Caseworkers are handling 500-600+ cases. They are only human and can only do so much in 8 hours a day.
Ann Werner

South Whitley, IN

#2 Apr 2, 2009
lillyalex wrote:
What people fail to realize is there are record numbers of people who are applying for assistance. In Lafayette the public assistance system is the old system. Caseworkers are handling 500-600+ cases. They are only human and can only do so much in 8 hours a day.
I suppose you might be one of those workers. What of the workers in Marion, In whose system is supposedly 'updated'. Regardless of our admitted humanity, if the system is failing us then attention needs to be drawn to it and solutions put in place.
are you kidding

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Apr 3, 2009
The goverment dosen,t care one way of another!
TJ Kistler

Peru, IN

#4 Apr 3, 2009
It would help if the welfare would stop giving out aid to those that do not need it. The hispanics while working also receive medicade, welfare, and foodstamps. They are not paying taxes and most of the time their rent is paid by the company they work for. I say if you are working, go by the income, then disperse what is needed.
you are

Burkesville, KY

#5 Apr 25, 2009
right,
Hurt and Dissapointed

Boulder, CO

#6 Aug 5, 2009
We live in Colorado.
Today was one of the worst days of my life and my 61 year-old husband.
We are both disabled. My husband has applied for his social security early. Until he receives it, we need help.
The social worker said my disabled husband must apply for work. And reapply for unemployment. Also, my ss check must go for food. "It's nice you have paid your bills on time but now...they will just have to wait.
Also, we had to sign a paper giving all our possessions to the government when we both die. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING!!!She said even if we didn't sign it, the government would take everything anyway-to pay back Medicare.
We don't know what we will do-eat or be on the street.
I don't know what we will do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lafayette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Fri party loyalty 98
Review: Vincent M Guido - Dentist Sep 17 Briansaul 7
Indiana officer to keep job after pushing over ... Aug 28 Fight back on bad... 3
SCREWED BY SIA/CTI? Let's talk!! Aug 26 Hoorah 2
New ISP troopers hit the road Aug '14 Idealist101 1
CPS steal kids test pesticides on them Aug '14 Ms Longstreet 1
Large Yard Sale - Inside and Out Aug '14 Becky 1
•••
•••
•••

Lafayette Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Lafayette People Search