Community reacts to CAT layoffs

Full story: WLFI Lafayette

Nearly a quarter of Caterpillar's work force will be laid off in May. And with an already struggling economy, some worry about where those who are laid off will find work.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Jul 3, 2009
capitallist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

It's not going to get any better for Cat as long as Obama gets his way. Raising corprate tax rates and taking away thier available deductions will more than likely just make the situation worse.
are you kidding

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

The damage was done long before Obamas time. He isn,t helping but its been for years.
Bush, Republicans, Clinton Democrats, Bush Senior, The list gose on and on!everyone of these corprates want to jump on the bandwagone we want bailout money and we will let ourselves look bad to get it.
You can thank the Automakers conartist who flew in asking for bailout in their own jets. Now everyone wants it!
Still Struggling

Warsaw, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

What the news media was not told on Tuesday's announcement, the Lafayette Cat plant has actually laid off more then 800 people. There were many temporary full time and contract employees let go over the last 2 months. There is more of an impact on the community then a lot of people know about. My heart goes out to all of them. They were all dedicated hard working people. God help us all through this economic mess.
Visioneer

North Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2009

Still Struggling wrote:
What the news media was not told on Tuesday's announcement, the Lafayette Cat plant has actually laid off more then 800 people. There were many temporary full time and contract employees let go over the last 2 months. There is more of an impact on the community then a lot of people know about. My heart goes out to all of them. They were all dedicated hard working people. God help us all through this economic mess.
It truly amazes me to see how naive the majority of these "mentally handicapped" ex-CAT employees are. These jobs are going to Mexico, etc. Our workforce can't even read/write their own language properly. Get ready dudes cause this is just the inception. The sad part is that 50% of all of these so-called skilled workers will not be rehired by CAT, ever again. Wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!!!!Why doesn't CAT hold their fort another 6 months and not layoff their GREATEST ASSETS? Can't a company that has been reaping extraodinary consistent FINANCIAL REWARDS for the past decade not demonstrate a little more LOYALTY to their workers? Don't fool yourselves, the era of VALUED EMPLOYEES/WORKFORCE no longer exists. There exists NO LOYAL RECIPROCITY between big business and our humble American Workforce!!!!
Nice try

Gulf Breeze, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

The fact is these jobs are not going to mexico, they are not going to china or anyplace else. The fact is there is no orders for cat equipment right now. One of the plants in illinois went from a 40 unit build a day to 4 in a 5 month time frame with no better outlook until october.

Hang in there guys , hope for the best and that this will turn around fast.
Just Curious

Mcminnville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Does anyone know if Cat is turning to manufacturing parts in house rather than outsourcing to suppliers in order to cut cost during this down economy?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Lafayette Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Lafayette People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Lafayette News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lafayette