Off-duty Tavares police officer dies when motorcycle, SUV collide

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

An off-duty Tavares police officer on Sunday became the third motorcyclist in recent days to be killed when cut off by another motorist.
Comments
81 - 85 of 85 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2011
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Rorysfriend

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2007

Thank you so much for your supportive comments. I think the important thing to realize both in my loss, and in the police officer's loss, as well as many others I'm sure, is that it can happen to anyone. Whether we are driving a SUV, a motorcycle, or are rushing through our day only half paying attention none of us are immune to causing such a tradegy. I think that because we drive so often we become automatic behind the wheel. We only half pay attention. We have alot of close calls. It can happen to anyone. One little mistake can cause the life of another to be taken away, or our own life, or the life of our loved ones. It is a very scary thought. I think that cars and motorcycles are perfectly capable of existing on the same roadway. Roads are designed to accomodate both. However, we have to be aware that the peices of metal we take for granted as common everyday devices are very easily turned to weapons in the blink of an eye, unfortunatly often unkowingly.
Mostly, my heart goes out to the families of everyone who has ever lost a loved one. It is horrible, and heart breaking when you lose someone who was such a wonderful part of your life. But anger only pulls you further away from the memory of your loved one. Anger only closes you off to the love of others. Enjoy everyday of your life. Enjoy your loved ones, and your not so loved ones even! Life is a beautiful gift, and when it's over, regrets mean nothing.
Cincy, remeber Rory for who he was. Remember the moments which are dear to you. Focus on the good. I think you will find peace. I pray you find peace, because you deserve it. Life is just too short.
Spider Man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2011

expatriated kentuckian wrote:
<quoted text>
Why even speculate? It is a tragedy,and no doubt he was not seen. Motorcycle visibility is a problem even with the head light on. The Look Twice program may have some merit..if we can get it implimented.
ACTUALLY, she was TEXTING on her blackberry. I know because she said so. She lives in Millville Ohio under an assumed name of Tracy Keller.
They have the authority

Mount Dora, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

Tavares Police do not stop at stop signs and speed often. They also do not stop those that run stop signs. They also do not control out of control bikers.

If they did their little part maybe the 4 wheeler they stop may pay more attention to two wheelers. You may even cause some drivers to fix head and tail lights that have been out for years.
Trailers are a another story little or no lights. Bottom line the Police is a part of the do nothing attitude, and a part of the reason a person lost their life. They have the authority to stop some of this.
Angery Drivers

Mount Dora, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

People here cannot work and are paid along with given free Medicare because they not able to work, they get ANGERY.

They do not like to be told what to do so they are treated for that out of control Anger. BUT THEY DRIVE around all night and hang out on their welfare money. If you are drawing money for a mental disorder especially out of control anger, seems you should unable to drive.

This is fashionable here among the young. I know several.
good point

Mount Dora, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

Spider Man wrote:
<quoted text>
ACTUALLY, she was TEXTING on her blackberry. I know because she said so. She lives in Millville Ohio under an assumed name of Tracy Keller.
Your point was not of any value to this posting. She makes a very good point.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Lady Lake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lady Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••