jan lane

Christchurch, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2013

I am a single 69 from NZ and wondered about renting a house for 6 weeks or so in June/July and playing golf? Is this do-able and how hot is it at that time of the year? What would I be expected to pay? What would I have to pay to play golf and what transport would I use?
KittyHawkDoug

Elk River, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

Judged:

Former Villager wrote:
<quoted text>
Lived in The Villages for 5 years. I moved across the street to Stonecrest, less congested, less money bigger bang for your buck, NO BONDS, great facilities, a short golf car ride to The Villages. A lot of houses blew down during the Tornado in the Villages and that is why I moved.

A lot of houses blew down..........that is why I moved????? Well you better pull up your big boy pants or grow a pair. Sounds like your afraid to live in 95% of the good old US of A!
Nature gives you a scare and take running with your arms whipping in the air. 1776 would have been a lost cause with wilting violets like you. Good luck Stonecrest with this pillar of the community. Wind picks up and up goes the sails, GONE.
MaryEllen

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2014

Judged:

KittyHawkDoug wrote:
<quoted text>.
A lot of houses blew down..........that is why I moved????? Well you better pull up your big boy pants or grow a pair. Sounds like your afraid to live in 95% of the good old US of A!
Nature gives you a scare and take running with your arms whipping in the air. 1776 would have been a lost cause with wilting violets like you. Good luck Stonecrest with this pillar of the community. Wind picks up and up goes the sails, GONE.
Guess she thinks that no tornado can hit Stonecrest. How insane is that ? Does she think Stonecrest is immune to storms ?
Leroy

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

IN THE WORLD.
Seadog

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2014

I retire to Villages and miss the ocean. I moving soon to Panama City. Lot of lady in Villages. That good for me.
Lance Boyle

East Orange, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

We've been at The Villages since 2007 and I must say the glow has worn off. There ARE many good points such as the proximity to good medical care but the comments about grumpy people are pretty much spot on. Also, lot's of turf wars amongst women reminding us of high school days. Get over it folks.
The place has grown form around 60,000 when we moved here and will soon be nearly 120,000. Lot's of road congestion in the winter when the snowbirds are here.
House will be on the market in the spring we're heading towards the beach, probably Ormond, Vero or the like.
One very odd thing we noticed is how many people jettison EVRYTHING from their former lives and buy new and furnish new. Don't they have any memories they cherish? Kind a weird..

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2014

Judged:

Florida has many great retirement areas....for me, the S.E. coast is ideal, due to the great beaches, proximity to the Gulfstream breezes which are a "must," in a tropical climate....and a positive business climate...There is a reason, so many wealthy people retire in this area....and you don't even have to be wealthy.....
Underdog

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2014

The Villages grew from 60,000 to 120,000 since 2007? The only possible way for that to happen is if it were some type of "Disneyland for Adults."

Since: Feb 14

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Judged:

Retiring wrote:
<quoted text> Can't they have their kids visit? Besides, I heard that the mount of sexual activity going on there with the seniors is truly amazing!
That is truly a myth that some contractors started over a bottle of scotch, I actually read that, besides some of these people can't even get out of a chair much less sex

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Obviously, just retired rich people live in The Villages. Us in the small towns around them just gets crumbs. They do not spend money in our diners but wants us to go to them. I do like the cheap and big drinks and the free country music at Spanish Springs and I got a guest pass that a buddy got for me so I can go to their pools.
Anonymous

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

When I visit, I always feel like smiling. If you don't enjoy this place, it's you, not the location.
Anonymous

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

Judged:

Lord Scotchdrinker wrote:
Obviously, just retired rich people live in The Villages. Us in the small towns around them just gets crumbs. They do not spend money in our diners but wants us to go to them. I do like the cheap and big drinks and the free country music at Spanish Springs and I got a guest pass that a buddy got for me so I can go to their pools.
That makes you a cheap cheater. People that live their don't pay amenity fees to support your drunk ass.
Rich

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

This site is a bit out of hand.

The Villages is the single most popular retirement communityA in the entire country from coast to coast.

Is it for everybody.....NO. Are the things you read on here about sexual promiscuity true...NO Is it only for rich people....NO. And guess what, you do not have to wear a badge identiyfing your political party because it does not make any difference.

This has become a dump for all the cliches and crap that exist. Big guy, like The Villages I suppose is open to that.

The surrounding area has many great alternatives. Stonecrest, Plantation, etc are just super. If anyone is actually reading this for information or hints, trust me......ALL of the communities are exactly what you make of it......this board is NOT what you want to use as any kind of test for making a decision.
Penny

Mitchell, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Who works in the restaurants and shops in the Villages? Is it people who live there and are only semi-retired or is it people from the nearby towns?
Rich

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Penny wrote:
Who works in the restaurants and shops in the Villages? Is it people who live there and are only semi-retired or is it people from the nearby towns?
Basically the answer is yes. There are "retired" folks in many stores who live in The Villages. I would say most of the servers come from surrounding area of Lady Lake, Wildwood, Leesburg, Ocala, etc.

If you are just curious, hope that answers your question. If seriously interested go to The Villages website and order a DVD...consider a visit on a program where you can stay here and take it all in. Do not allow message boards like this or TOTV influence you in anyway. Get all the "official" info you can. Message boards can serve a purpose, but trusting someone who is anonymous is not smart. If you wish to be at all suspicious about anything you might hear from sales folks, etc., during a visit here, strike up conversations with real residents and ask pointed questions, plus no matter what you read on sites like this, the sales folks do a good job communicating, but nothing beats visiting.

And you will never ever be asked what political party you belong to in any way, nor be invited to a swing party :). It is probably very close to your town.

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

Houses are too expensive there and the people are rich snobs who doesnt spend their money in the outlaying towms.

On the good side, they have cheap happy hours, good music on squares, free executive golf, and pools. You can always find a person in the villages to get you unlimited guest passes or can buy fake ID card.
Penny

Mitchell, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Rich, thank you for the information. I browsed around the Villages website a bit and went to google maps and drove around there. It's a beautiful area and I can see why it's such a popular retirement spot.

I am interested in living in the area, but not the Villages. Several reasons, which finances happens to be one of them. We've saved and have been responsible, but I feel more comfy not stretching our budget to the limit. Maybe pitching a tent in the Ocala forest would be more my style.(Joking, well, maybe not LOL)

You were helpful to me though since, once I leave here and leave my f/t job, I will need at least p/t work both for my sanity and my checkbook. I figure that a pleasant job in the Villages would help me out enough to live happily in the warmth and sunshine. Medicare is a few years into my future so I need to do things responsibly and need to earn enough to pay my entire health insurance premium since my employer would no longer be paying a portion of it. As far as the other expenses, we'd be set as long as we continue living modestly.

Enjoy your day in that beautiful Florida sunshine, Rich and thanks again.
Penny

Mitchell, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Lord Scotch, it doesn't sound like you're a fan of The Villages. I did notice that non-residents are allowed to attend some of their events.(concerts) The admission fee is just a few dollars more then for the residents and the prices weren't too bad.

As far as barging in and asking for guess passes and I.D. cards, I guess I'll pass. Even if I can't afford the best, I'd rather pay for what I get.

And Scotch, you enjoy your day filled with sunshine, too!
John

North Wales, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2014

My parents retired in the Villages in 1991 and spent their final years there, and I can tell you that were absolutely thrilled to live there!
We come from a large family and they always had us visiting and enjoying the fabulous facilities together.
I personally visited them countless times and honestly the villages brought us closer together as a family, it was like a perpetual vacation.
My parents were always so excited to show us around and see the continuous improvements and additions to the amenities.
I can't imagine my parents sitting in their house in the cold north east with nothing to do, it added years to their lives.
I will definitely consider moving there when I retire, honestly it is like Disney for adults, first class place and very friendly people!
RockinRobbin

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

We live here full time, and love it mostly. There are some jerky people, but you'll find those anywhere. the only thing to be aware of is the IRS boondoggle. Still waiting to see how that will affect things when it is finally resolved.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Lady Lake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lady Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Lady Lake News, Events & Info