Dana Pride Boat Gets Too Close To Mot...

Dana Pride Boat Gets Too Close To Mother & Calf

Posted in the Ladera Ranch Forum

Respect The Whales

Laguna Beach, CA

#1 Apr 21, 2014
This past weekend while a mother and calf grey whale were continuing their journey north a whale watch boat disturbed the pair forcing them into the kelp at the headlands and back south towards the water break. The large vessel got too close!!

The mother and calf eventually headed north again once the vessel moved out of their path.

Please, anyone who may witness such behavior please report it immediately.

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Wildomar, CA

#2 Apr 25, 2014
This week I witnessed the exact same pattern with the same whale boat. The mother and baby were moving along and that big boat followed right behind them while the idiot on the loud speaker wouldn't shut up. The pair reached the point where the kelp started to be dense. The big boat was so close to the pair that they were forced back south instead of being able to going around the kelp. They were blocked from their natural migration due to a huge boat chasing them at an unsafe distance for the pair.

What authority should this boat operator be reported to?

Fontana, CA

#3 Apr 25, 2014
The Dana Pride boat operator or whomever has the microphone has yelled into the Mic at sailboats who are out sailing and whale watching. I was out in my powerboat and I saw the Dana Pride boat out looking for whales. I noticed he was heading our way from Doheny Beach he must have noticed the blows from the whales. There was a little sailboat where the whales came up and we saw the surprise on the face of the boats skipper. The Dana Pride boat roars up to the little sailboat and some one starts yelling on the loudspeaker at him. Now, the whales came up along side the little boat and hung out with the boat. The rude person on the loud speaker accused the skipper of being to close to the whales. Then the Dana Pride boat positions itself in front of the whale. Some one undercover should board that boat for a whale watch cruise and Video what goes on on that boat.
Dana Point Sailor

Riverside, CA

#4 May 10, 2014
It seems The Dana Pride outfit is ruining the whale watch experience for anyone not paying to whale watch with them.
Join The Group

Aliso Viejo, CA

#5 Oct 7, 2015
Dana Point Sailor wrote:
It seems The Dana Pride outfit is ruining the whale watch experience for anyone not paying to whale watch with them.
Oh boy, that vessel. I don't know how many individuals captain that vessel so I can't say except for the radio recordings and surveillance captured while the vessel is out in open water who may be in charge for the whale watch cruise. Watch out if you are in proximity of whales and Dana Pride isn't. They have their sites on the whales and take off like a bat out of hell when one is spotted. They ruin the beauty of the migrating whales by roaring up on them.

They also ruin it for the sport fishermen in the area. That boat gets too close to other boats!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ladera Ranch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News They have gangs in south Orange County? (Dec '07) Nov 29 Bus 125
News Chinese homebuilder Landsea buys 569-house Lake... Nov 27 GabeS 1
black friday deals on dvd, blu-ray & steelbooks Nov 26 RJWOnline 1
News Watchdog: Water fines rise as tempers flare Nov 21 Mjb 1
the rudeness of the 'adults' in ladera ranch (Oct '12) Oct '15 tellinitlikeitis 14
Awesome New Maid/House Cleaning Service in Lade... (Apr '15) Apr '15 occlean 4
Hit and run Ladera Ranch (Feb '15) Feb '15 Kristi 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ladera Ranch Mortgages