Truck driver charged in deaths of 3 c...

Truck driver charged in deaths of 3 children

There are 32 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Aug 29, 2007, titled Truck driver charged in deaths of 3 children. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

By Christine Hanley, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer 11:36 AM PDT, August 29, 2007 Vehicular manslaughter charges have been filed against the driver of a big rig that slammed into the back of a minivan in May, ... via Los Angeles Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

United States

#1 Oct 4, 2007
I think someone is not looking at the point that this was an accident, this is a very dangerous stretch of the 5 freeway going thru mission viejo. It is that traffic light at oso parkway that backs cars up and when you come around that bend from La Paz you never see it back up until your right on top of it (Traffic) dont you think this guy has to live with it for the rest of his life that he took the lives of 3 kids. why put this pour guy thru hell.
Ditto

Hayward, CA

#2 Oct 5, 2007
It's likely that when the shock and horror of losing your children wears down the family seeks "justice" (aka revenge) through a big settlement.

3 kids deaths aren't tragic enough, must ruin a poor truck drivers life too.
JCBZT

Aliso Viejo, CA

#3 Oct 5, 2007
One thing is absolute there are no winners in this horrible accident. No amount of money will change the fact that the Coble home was once filled with 3 lovely, giggling voices and in an instant, they were gone.
This truck driver must live with the fact he is responsible for that every day. That his laspe in judgement took the lives of 3 precious children. There are no winners.
Idiot Truck Driver

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Oct 10, 2007
A lot of truckers just keep on making stupid driving mistakes, all over the country. They cut people off without warning, and think they own the damn road. I'll grow my crops locally and build a crystal set to tune in the airwaves if that means making things safer. These idiots are the WORST road ragers out there, and they have stupid macho redneck hillbilly driving attitudes. So what if they haul the nation's goods. Fact is, they are always tipping over, driving much more unsafe than most car motorists, and they always take out more innocent people when they crash. We all know many if not over half of them are good decent people, but screw the rest of them. You know they go out, get drunk (sometimes during the day), drive drunk, who knows how many take drugs and solicit prostitutes, and play with motorists lives like a chess game. Many of them flee the scene and don't even stop to help an injured, possibly critically bleeding person. Happened twice where I live. These stupid hick morons need to be taken out back and given a good old fashioned country ass whipping. My heart goes out to the families who've lost loved ones as a result of Billy Bob's inattention or road rage driving a 40,000 pound rig. Stupid hick idiot truckers.
ditto

Hayward, CA

#5 Oct 12, 2007
Most drivers make mistakes, cut people off, use their cell phones, apply make-up, change clothes, look in the back for something they cant find, eat, text message, read, or shave while driving. All of us are guilty. Pretty sad to stereotype a profession that way.
Idiot Truck Driver

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Oct 25, 2007
Pretty sad to ignore reality, ditto. Fact is, truckers cause greater damage when they wreck, and their rigs are more easily used to intimidate innocent motorists because of their size. Furthermore, if you bother to understand and re-read my comment, it is perfectly clear from the first four words that the profession as a whole is not being stereotyped. Hence the use of the words "A lot of" and not the words "All of". Try intelligently evaluating an article instead of misrepresenting the obvious truth. On top of that whiff of logic on your part, "most drivers" as you put it do not in fact do that sort of stuff - change clothes? That is rare. And the impact of a car crash is almost always less than the impact of an idiot trucker doing the same thing, therefore they SHOULD be held to higher standards. Plus, they are getting PAID to drive. Big difference there, ditto. Try and think on your own for once. You're probably one of those truckers.
Mee

Lake Forest, CA

#7 Oct 25, 2007
You need to calm down mr idiot. Past is past - there's nothing you can do about it anymore. We have so many other things to worry about. My advise to you is.. focus your energy to something more productive.
Idiot Truck Driver

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Oct 26, 2007
100% wrong, Mee. You have such a defeatist attitude, and that is unfortunate for you. Yes there is always something that can be done, such as raise awareness that these idiot drivers need to be fired and banned from driving big rigs, plain and simple. How do you know I haven't lost someone to a preventable big rig accident caused by some careless jerk who never should have gotten that job in the first place? That makes you pretty shallow and naive.

Just this morning, I almost got side swiped by a truck who realized, after missing six signs, that he needed to be in the lane I was in, in order to take a different route. Just at the last second before the center divide started, he swerves across 3 lanes of traffic. Thank God I had a free lane to my left to veer into, or I'd be under the middle of his truck right now. It's one thing if it were a car and the relative size of my car would stand a chance of survival against it. It's a totally different thing when an idiot trucker does that - the chances of survival are markedly lower. THEREFORE, Mee, there should be HIGHER standards, and STEEPER punishment for these idiot bubbas out there driving recklessly, PERIOD.

So, you need to not be so jaded and naive about reality, and wake up. Most of us Americans out here do not excuse and just ignore/forget these types of situations like you are proposing. There is always something that can be done. It is sad that you are so dispassionate. I hope if you ever get in a bad wreck and are in critical condition, that there is not another Mee out there who is so uncaring and dispassionate about preventable problems.
hard to believe

Irvine, CA

#9 Nov 9, 2007
As im watching the news cast & crying, seeing these 3 beutiful children & what these inocent parents went through. I just have hard time believeing that a supreme being exits. I have 2 great kids who 21yr & 18 yrs old. And having to raise my kids by myself after my wife passed away in 95. I can't believe how they can be so strong. After this horrible situation happend!
Jip

Lancaster, CA

#10 Nov 11, 2007
Ditto wrote:
It's likely that when the shock and horror of losing your children wears down the family seeks "justice" (aka revenge) through a big settlement.
3 kids deaths aren't tragic enough, must ruin a poor truck drivers life too.
Your a moron. The driver was reckless and murdered 3 children and should receive the death penalty. A vehicle is a deadly weapon and he never tried to stop and you are going to protect him? Those kids blood are also on your hands. This should serve as a reminder to all truk drivers to slow down. One citation should be enough to suspend their license for 6 months regardless of how they will make a living. 3 kids are dead which means they are not living at all. Remember that while you sleep and defend this trash.
Jip

Lancaster, CA

#11 Nov 11, 2007
ditto wrote:
Most drivers make mistakes, cut people off, use their cell phones, apply make-up, change clothes, look in the back for something they cant find, eat, text message, read, or shave while driving. All of us are guilty. Pretty sad to stereotype a profession that way.
Were you born yesterday? Yes they do and should be held accountable when 3 children die. You obviously do not have any children and have little to no regard for them whatsoever.
Fact is truck drivers have even more so of a responsibility in that when they rear end someone people almost always die. Big difference from a Camry hitting a Accord.
Get a clue and stop trying to defend truckers; you must be a trucker yourself to defend their mistakes over the lives of children.
Your a horrible person.
Jip

Lancaster, CA

#12 Nov 11, 2007
Charged because he was speeding for the driving conditions. 55-60 in Friday stop and go traffic in So California. That is wreckless by any definition and with his DMV record it takes something like this to put him away.
And to figure there are those trying to defend this killer of 3 children. Hopefully tragedy will never place your family in a similar situation, you may feel differently when a young loved one is killed by wreckless endangerment.
A truckers wife

United States

#13 Nov 14, 2007
There are truck drivers out there that don't need to be driving. I'm sure there are truck drivers that are on drugs and overly tired, but drivers of automobiles do these things too. To say accidents happen is not completely true, carelessness causes accidents. You can't single out truck drives bad drivng untill you have riden in a big truck. Once you do that you begin to realize they can't stop on a dime when traffic comes to a sudden stop even if they are running the speed limit, cars cut trucks off all the time and small cars are hard to see in the mirrors espeacially if they ride along side of the truck.
However, there are truck drivers that are careful and do follow the very strick rules and regulations that truckers have. If everybody on the road would give the other cars around them a break when they see someone pulling out or needing to change lanes accidents could be avoided too.
It's not a new fact that you should take extra precautions when driving near tractor trailer, this terrible situation is tragic for everyone involved, but you can't blame every truck diver for every death and every accident. Cars cause just as many traffic accidents & deaths as trucks do.

Since: Nov 07

Ladera Ranch, CA

#14 Nov 15, 2007
Hey Jip: don't treat the guy like a murderer. It was an accident.

I'm pretty damn sure you wouldn't want to be blamed for the deaths of three young children, right? People make mistakes-- don't condemn this man to hell.

Also, murder is killing somebody with malicious intent. Mr. Truck Driver didn't wake up and say "I want to kill kids".

One last thing, Jip: learn to spell. There are a few different spellings of "your". They are "you're", "your", and "get off the internet".

Since: Nov 07

Ladera Ranch, CA

#15 Nov 15, 2007
"3 kids are dead which means they are not living at all" is also the funniest thing I've read all night. Such a profound statement. Put it on a t-shirt.
Idiot Truck Driver

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Nov 21, 2007
Mellisa W is a typical jaded, uncaring back-biter who, like so many misguided people in this country, turn their focus incorrectly at good and decent people. Jip was just speaking, correctly in my view, about the fact that this trucker should be puished, has done something majorly wrong, and should never have been on the road in the first place. We all can agree on that. Mellisa should not spend her time back-biting righteous people like Jip who are just trying to speak up for 3 dead children.

At some point, we all have to stop and say enough, and start categorizing these heinous events in a more harsh light. So, to use the language "murder" does not bother me at all. If we don't as a population start using harsher language in the process of trying to stand up and be righteous about things, then we truly are in trouble as a country.

I agree, the idiot trucker should be punished to the full extent of the law, which is still probably too lenient. Maybe he should go to hell for being so oblivious and careless. How can one go through life that way? This is the very heart of the problem with the moral decline of this country. It spider-webs throughout everything, even cases like this.
Idiot Truck Driver

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Nov 21, 2007
And as for the trucker's wife who in her above comment defends truckers, well, honey, it's not about you and the good truckers. There are many of them out there, but there a higher number of deaths caused per accident that a trucker is involved in. I personally have witnessed more truckers road raging and harassing innocent cars, much more than 20 years ago when most truckers were actually more polite. So you can sit there and think that truckers are good, and maybe the ones you know are, but by and large many of them are much worse than ever before in history. Yes, people in cars cause accidents too, but not nearly as much damage is caused as when a trucker causes a wreck.

I am at the point with these idiot truckers that I'd rather grow my own crops locally and not have the benefit of trucker commerce, in order to make the roads safer. Every day I see truckers SLAMMING on their brakes, the burnt rubber smoke covering the highways, in and around St. Louis. Hundreds of near misses a day go unreported in this country, which would have caused much more devastation than an equivalent number of car wrecks.
Dustin

Ladera Ranch, CA

#18 Nov 22, 2007
She pregnant again with the same amount of children as before. 2 boys and a girl i believe.

Wierd
alex

Newport Beach, CA

#19 Nov 23, 2007
Idiot Truck Driver wrote:
Mellisa W is a typical jaded, uncaring back-biter who, like so many misguided people in this country, turn their focus incorrectly at good and decent people. Jip was just speaking, correctly in my view, about the fact that this trucker should be puished, has done something majorly wrong, and should never have been on the road in the first place. We all can agree on that. Mellisa should not spend her time back-biting righteous people like Jip who are just trying to speak up for 3 dead children.
At some point, we all have to stop and say enough, and start categorizing these heinous events in a more harsh light. So, to use the language "murder" does not bother me at all. If we don't as a population start using harsher language in the process of trying to stand up and be righteous about things, then we truly are in trouble as a country.
I agree, the idiot trucker should be punished to the full extent of the law, which is still probably too lenient. Maybe he should go to hell for being so oblivious and careless. How can one go through life that way? This is the very heart of the problem with the moral decline of this country. It spider-webs throughout everything, even cases like this.
He doesn't deserve the death pentaly,IT WAS AN ACCIDENT. And he will not get the death penalty.
Mellisa W

Ladera Ranch, CA

#20 Nov 25, 2007
Idiot Truck Driver wrote:
Speak up for three dead children? You're speaking up for the idiots of the world. Not all truckers are bad.

How about this: you're a human. There are a lot of terrible humans. Because you made a mistake you get the death penalty. Why? Because humans are terrible. Devarr.com , ass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ladera Ranch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nuclear waste, anyone? Feds look to willing states Jun 26 warrengraham 1
News They have gangs in south Orange County? (Dec '07) Jun 25 South OC 131
News 1 Fatally Shot, 1 Wounded In San Juan Capistrano (Aug '06) Jun 24 SBY 164
Review: ARI Novick PHD (Feb '13) Jun 18 Edward1978 7
Jun 13 Richie Galvan 1
Helicopter circling above? (Nov '06) May '16 Ugh 25
the rudeness of the 'adults' in ladera ranch (Oct '12) Oct '15 tellinitlikeitis 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ladera Ranch Mortgages