Don Keairns

Mickey Schmidt

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jerry

United States

#21 Apr 9, 2010
We saw Dr. Briggs car here in La Veta yesterday. Hope that bodes well for summer golf plans. http://www.lavetarealty.com/blog/...

“YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#22 Apr 9, 2010
Jerry wrote:
We saw Dr. Briggs car here in La Veta yesterday. Hope that bodes well for summer golf plans. http://www.lavetarealty.com/blog/...
That's good to hear. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an opening soon....very soon. Thanks for the info Jerry.
Jerry

United States

#23 Apr 9, 2010
Politically Incorrect wrote:
I finally have news.
Don Keairns has been elected Mayor of La Veta by a landslide.
Don ousted Mayor Mickey Schmidt by a near landslide 230 votes to 145. This may be one of the largest margins of victory in recent memory.
Also, two of the pro-business candidates defeated incumbents Jesse Yarbrough and Tracy Webb.
Newly elected Trustee Larry Klinke received 175 votes, the highest number of votes by far, among the Trustee candidates. Larry will be joined on the Town Board by other winners Laurie Erwin and incumbent Dale Davis. Klinke’s high popularity vote count would suggest his consideration for Board elected Mayor Pro-tem at Wednesday night’s organizational meeting.
Thank God people are willing to accept positive change.
For once in a very long time, It is a beautiful day in Huerfano County.
Politically Correct maybe, and familiar blog copy post too. http://www.lavetarealty.com/blog/...
Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#24 Apr 9, 2010
Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>
Politically Correct maybe, and familiar blog copy post too. http://www.lavetarealty.com/blog/...
That is exactly where I got it actually, Thanks a million for posting that blog, I wouldn't have known who had won until Tuesday.

I read your blogs everyday.
I was in a hurry to post who had won so I just copied it,
hope you don't mind, I didn't mean no harm. Just trying to get the info out.

Were you at Wednesday night's meeting?
Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#25 Apr 9, 2010
Jerry wrote:
I hope so too. That effects the County economy.

Location hidden

#26 Apr 15, 2010
Any word on if/when Grandote will open?

“R3V01U7!0N”

Since: Apr 10

Denver, CO

#27 Apr 15, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
Any word on if/when Grandote will open?
Randy Briggs was in La Veta the other day to talk with the new Mayor Don Keairns. From what I hear, the meeting was positive but a lot has to be done before the Course can re-open. Briggs wants the Grandote annexed in to the Town but the fees are incredibly high ($5,000 an acre) and need to be lowered. Everyone is at a standstill until Mayor Keairns' old Trustee seat is filled.

There is a very vocal group of people who want an old Trustee who was defeated in the election to take the position. Of course, this former Trustee is a pawn of Mickey Schmidt and would block any of the new Mayor's agenda.
Right now, the Board is split down the middle 3-3, the Town Board might not be able to agree on a nominee to the seat and have to propose a special election.

Here's an article on Grandote re-opening for you.=)

http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/la-veta-golf-c...

Location hidden

#28 Apr 15, 2010
Politically_Incorrect wrote:
<quoted text>
Randy Briggs was in La Veta the other day to talk with the new Mayor Don Keairns. From what I hear, the meeting was positive but a lot has to be done before the Course can re-open. Briggs wants the Grandote annexed in to the Town but the fees are incredibly high ($5,000 an acre) and need to be lowered. Everyone is at a standstill until Mayor Keairns' old Trustee seat is filled.
There is a very vocal group of people who want an old Trustee who was defeated in the election to take the position. Of course, this former Trustee is a pawn of Mickey Schmidt and would block any of the new Mayor's agenda.
Right now, the Board is split down the middle 3-3, the Town Board might not be able to agree on a nominee to the seat and have to propose a special election.
Here's an article on Grandote re-opening for you.=)
http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/la-veta-golf-c...
I was hoping the course would open sometime in May. I have clients who are coming into town on June 1st. We normally go play golf at Grandote. Looks like that's not going to happen...at least by June 1st. Guess it's time to bite the bullet and book somewhere else. I don't want to go somewhere else. We might like the "new" place and not go back next year, or years after this year. Mickey "Mouse" wasn't think what is best for La Veta, like I understand he did for many many years. What a way to go out....hurting something that is so special to the town.

“R3V01U7!0N”

Denver, CO

#29 Apr 15, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
I was hoping the course would open sometime in May. I have clients who are coming into town on June 1st. We normally go play golf at Grandote. Looks like that's not going to happen...at least by June 1st. Guess it's time to bite the bullet and book somewhere else. I don't want to go somewhere else. We might like the "new" place and not go back next year, or years after this year. Mickey "Mouse" wasn't think what is best for La Veta, like I understand he did for many many years. What a way to go out....hurting something that is so special to the town.
I'm sorry, It's just there is so much for the new Board to do and they need no fill that Trustee seat on top of it. Everyone is at a stalemate until they can figure out how to fill that Trustee seat.

I do expect the Grandote Golf Course to be open next year.
Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm watching this situation closely.

Location hidden

#30 Apr 15, 2010
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, It's just there is so much for the new Board to do and they need no fill that Trustee seat on top of it. Everyone is at a stalemate until they can figure out how to fill that Trustee seat.
I do expect the Grandote Golf Course to be open next year.
Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm watching this situation closely.
No need to say "sorry" PI....it's not your fault. I appreciate you keeping us outsiders informed. I'm not the owner, so what I'm about to say might not be possible, but I believe if the course is closed for this entire summer, it will take years to overcome being closed this year. Please keep posting updated information when you receive it. All my best.

Location hidden

#31 Apr 21, 2010
Rumor has it that Grandote will open on June 1st. The "new" big question now is what kind of shape will the course be in??? Will the course be in playing condition?

“R3V01U7!0N”

Denver, CO

#32 Apr 21, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
Rumor has it that Grandote will open on June 1st. The "new" big question now is what kind of shape will the course be in??? Will the course be in playing condition?
Really? I haven't heard that! Well, I know the Mayor so I guess I'll ask him what's up. I've also heard that Randy Briggs has been in La Veta for the past few days. However, last night, there was political defeat. Tracy Webb, one of the old Trustees from the Schmidt Board, somehow managed to win the last Trustee seat. This makes it very difficult for the Mayor to get a majority on several issues including Grandote.

Here's the news story:
http://www.lavetarealty.com/blog/...
Please log in to the blog and post comments with me, I am debating Jesse Yarbrough, a Schmidt Trustee who lost re-election. Hahaha. Hope to see you there!=)

“R3V01U7!0N”

Denver, CO

#33 Apr 22, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
No, this is false. I've been told that Briggs will not be able to open this year at all.

Location hidden

#34 Apr 23, 2010
<quoted text>
No, this is false. I've been told that Briggs will not be able to open this year at all.
Interesting. I heard from a second "person with knowledge" that its going to open. I guess until an "offical" announcment is made, I'll just have to assume its not going to open. Thanks for the update PI.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Veta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Colorado priest accused of sex abuse (Mar '09) Oct '17 Momma redd 4
News Weird 19 mins ago 8:35 a.m.'Teeth' in tacos: Te... (Mar '17) Oct '17 An eye for an eye 13
The City of Broken Dreams Oct '17 Welcome Wagon 1
Ware (Jun '17) Jun '17 Butta 1
Goat (May '17) May '17 Goat 1
Gardner Community Center (Dec '12) May '17 Goat 6
Moving to La veta yes no ? (Apr '14) May '17 SquanchTastic9 8

La Veta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Veta Mortgages