Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Mar 8, 2010
Who do you think should win?

“YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#2 Mar 12, 2010
With how Mickey Schmidt has handled the Grandote issue, no one in La Veta should vote for him. What a disgrace. Don't those people down there know they have a "jewel" in their back yard? Those old timers who sooner or later or going to die off are going to ruin that community. In the Cheiftain, there was a letter by Darrel Arnold about how the Dr. Briggs (owner of Grandote) only wants to make money. Duh, isn't that way ANY business is in business, to make money? If the town can't work out a deal to keep Grandote open, sooner or later, that town will slowly die. I don't understand why people down there don't want growth. First it was the wind farm, because it would hurt their views of the Spanish Peaks. With no growth, no one will be down there to see the Peaks anyway. Come on La Veta....don't blow this with Grandote.
Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 Mar 12, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
With how Mickey Schmidt has handled the Grandote issue, no one in La Veta should vote for him. What a disgrace. Don't those people down there know they have a "jewel" in their back yard? Those old timers who sooner or later or going to die off are going to ruin that community. In the Cheiftain, there was a letter by Darrel Arnold about how the Dr. Briggs (owner of Grandote) only wants to make money. Duh, isn't that way ANY business is in business, to make money? If the town can't work out a deal to keep Grandote open, sooner or later, that town will slowly die. I don't understand why people down there don't want growth. First it was the wind farm, because it would hurt their views of the Spanish Peaks. With no growth, no one will be down there to see the Peaks anyway. Come on La Veta....don't blow this with Grandote.
I absolutely agree with you and I hope Don Keairns wins this race by a wide margin! Nice to meet you!

Location hidden

#4 Mar 15, 2010
Politically Incorrect wrote:
<quoted text>
I absolutely agree with you and I hope Don Keairns wins this race by a wide margin! Nice to meet you!
Greetings PI. Are you in Colorado Springs?
Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Mar 15, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings PI. Are you in Colorado Springs?
Occasionally, where are you?

Location hidden

#6 Mar 16, 2010
<quoted text>
Occasionally, where are you?
Springs, Pueblo, Walsenburg, Trinidad, La Veta. My job requires that I visit all of these towns every now and then. I enjoy playing golf in La Veta, so that is why I know what's going on down there. It would be a shame if Grandote didn't open up this year because of a few old foggies who think they "own" La Veta. Take care.
Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 Mar 16, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Springs, Pueblo, Walsenburg, Trinidad, La Veta. My job requires that I visit all of these towns every now and then. I enjoy playing golf in La Veta, so that is why I know what's going on down there. It would be a shame if Grandote didn't open up this year because of a few old foggies who think they "own" La Veta. Take care.
Yes, it is a disaster in La Veta. The Town Board is strangling this town to death. I pray that Keairns prevails in the April election.
I think that Huerfano County might go down in flames with La Veta if something doesn't change in that Government quickly. Take care, Jack.

Location hidden

#8 Mar 16, 2010
<quoted text>
Yes, it is a disaster in La Veta. The Town Board is strangling this town to death. I pray that Keairns prevails in the April election.
I think that Huerfano County might go down in flames with La Veta if something doesn't change in that Government quickly. Take care, Jack.
I agree....this isn't just a La Veta issue...it's a Huerfano County issue. I can understand the county commissioners keeping a low profile on this. Part of the course is "in the county", so if they got involved, it might look like they are siding with Doc Briggs. I could be wrong, but that's the way it looks. I hope the people of La Veta have an open mind and see what is happening withoug looking through "city council glasses".
Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#9 Mar 16, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree....this isn't just a La Veta issue...it's a Huerfano County issue. I can understand the county commissioners keeping a low profile on this. Part of the course is "in the county", so if they got involved, it might look like they are siding with Doc Briggs. I could be wrong, but that's the way it looks. I hope the people of La Veta have an open mind and see what is happening withoug looking through "city council glasses".
Yep, the County Commissioners are staying low because they know if they make one comment, a lot of people on either side will be furious with them.
And it's not like Randy Briggs is the right guy either, people have continually told me that he is a pompous a/ss, but that does not justify the La Veta Town Board playing legal games with him.

The Town Board keeps saying "Just give us an annexation proposal".
Last week, the former owner of the golf course, Dwight Harrison, brought up a proposal to annex the course, the Mayor and all of the Town Board, except Trustee Don Keairns, voted down the measure saying that it violates certain State Statutes.
Do you know how much the annexation fee is??
$ 1.5 million!$ 5,000 an acre! And the Town Board put this in place after Briggs went to them with a proposal!
They are playing games with him at the expense of Huerfano County!

I hope Mickey Schmidt, Dale Davis, Jesse Yarbrough, and Tracy Webb all get voted out in April.
I personally feel like Don Keairns might be La Veta's only hope.
It's certainly not the current Town Government!

Location hidden

#10 Mar 17, 2010
<quoted text>
Yep, the County Commissioners are staying low because they know if they make one comment, a lot of people on either side will be furious with them.
And it's not like Randy Briggs is the right guy either, people have continually told me that he is a pompous a/ss, but that does not justify the La Veta Town Board playing legal games with him.
The Town Board keeps saying "Just give us an annexation proposal".
Last week, the former owner of the golf course, Dwight Harrison, brought up a proposal to annex the course, the Mayor and all of the Town Board, except Trustee Don Keairns, voted down the measure saying that it violates certain State Statutes.
Do you know how much the annexation fee is??
$ 1.5 million!$ 5,000 an acre! And the Town Board put this in place after Briggs went to them with a proposal!
They are playing games with him at the expense of Huerfano County!
I hope Mickey Schmidt, Dale Davis, Jesse Yarbrough, and Tracy Webb all get voted out in April.
I personally feel like Don Keairns might be La Veta's only hope.
It's certainly not the current Town Government!
I've heard that abaout Randy Briggs. I've also heard that he really doesn't need the course to be open, he can "afford" to lose what money he might lose while the course is closed. How ture that is, I don't know. How can anything be resolved when you have adults who won't "agree to disagree". I'd guess there are more problems down there than just this issue, but like I said before, they have a "jewel" in Grandote. It is a "destination" golf course. I have clients who live in California, Illinois and Texas who would rather go play Grandote than play the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the elections in April. Good talking to you.
Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#11 Mar 17, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard that abaout Randy Briggs. I've also heard that he really doesn't need the course to be open, he can "afford" to lose what money he might lose while the course is closed. How ture that is, I don't know. How can anything be resolved when you have adults who won't "agree to disagree". I'd guess there are more problems down there than just this issue, but like I said before, they have a "jewel" in Grandote. It is a "destination" golf course. I have clients who live in California, Illinois and Texas who would rather go play Grandote than play the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the elections in April. Good talking to you.
Thanks, Uncle Jack.
It was a pleasure speaking with you also.
I'll keep you updated in the coming weeks.

Location hidden

#12 Mar 31, 2010
Well, a week from today, we might have a better idea if Grandote will open this year, or be closed for good. The people of La Veta hold the future of that town in their hands. Do what is best for you, your grandkids, your great grandkids and so on. The town needs "new blood" and not the same old "backwards" leadership.
Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#13 Mar 31, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
Well, a week from today, we might have a better idea if Grandote will open this year, or be closed for good. The people of La Veta hold the future of that town in their hands. Do what is best for you, your grandkids, your great grandkids and so on. The town needs "new blood" and not the same old "backwards" leadership.
They held a debate for the Town Board and Mayoral candidates. I attended and practically b-slapped Mickey Schmidt with my question. Lol.

I have talked with Don Keairns and he told me that even if he get's elected, Grandote doesn't have enough time to prepare to open for the Summer so they will likely stay closed until next year. That is a major economic blow for the County but you know things will be better if La Veta at least has a new Mayor.

Turnout will be key. I urge you to come in contact with every single voter you know and plead for them to go out and elect Don Keairns Mayor. I am doing all that I can to make sure he wins.

Location hidden

#14 Apr 5, 2010
<quoted text>
They held a debate for the Town Board and Mayoral candidates. I attended and practically b-slapped Mickey Schmidt with my question. Lol.
I have talked with Don Keairns and he told me that even if he get's elected, Grandote doesn't have enough time to prepare to open for the Summer so they will likely stay closed until next year. That is a major economic blow for the County but you know things will be better if La Veta at least has a new Mayor.
Turnout will be key. I urge you to come in contact with every single voter you know and plead for them to go out and elect Don Keairns Mayor. I am doing all that I can to make sure he wins.
I wonder why they couldn't open this Summer. I realize they need to aerate and fertilize, but hasn't Mother Nature keep the course wet? I just feel if they remain closed this year, it will take years to get people going back down there. I still believe the drought from 2001-2003 was still affecting them last year. That's too bad. It sounds like Grandote will end up being just like Panadero....you'll be able to see where it was, but won't be able to enjoy it. That entire city council should be hung.
Politically Incorrect

Colorado Springs, CO

#15 Apr 5, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder why they couldn't open this Summer. I realize they need to aerate and fertilize, but hasn't Mother Nature keep the course wet? I just feel if they remain closed this year, it will take years to get people going back down there. I still believe the drought from 2001-2003 was still affecting them last year. That's too bad. It sounds like Grandote will end up being just like Panadero....you'll be able to see where it was, but won't be able to enjoy it. That entire city council should be hung.
Well, we will find out how wise La Veta is tomorrow.
I will post results as soon as I know them.

Location hidden

#16 Apr 6, 2010
<quoted text>
Well, we will find out how wise La Veta is tomorrow.
I will post results as soon as I know them.
Here's hoping for the best for that small town.
Politically Incorrect

Fountain, CO

#17 Apr 6, 2010
Uncle Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's hoping for the best for that small town.
Cheers, mister.
The polls close at 7 PM so I'll let you know a while after that, they are expecting historically high turnout. Go Don!

Location hidden

#18 Apr 6, 2010
<quoted text>
Cheers, mister.
The polls close at 7 PM so I'll let you know a while after that, they are expecting historically high turnout. Go Don!
I've got a client dinner tonight, so I might not get a chance to log-on here until really late or early tomorrow. I hope everyone who lives down there and can vote gets out and votes that way they can't complain later. Talk to you tomorrow PI.
Politically Incorrect

Fountain, CO

#19 Apr 7, 2010
I finally have news.

Don Keairns has been elected Mayor of La Veta by a landslide.
Don ousted Mayor Mickey Schmidt by a near landslide 230 votes to 145. This may be one of the largest margins of victory in recent memory.
Also, two of the pro-business candidates defeated incumbents Jesse Yarbrough and Tracy Webb.
Newly elected Trustee Larry Klinke received 175 votes, the highest number of votes by far, among the Trustee candidates. Larry will be joined on the Town Board by other winners Laurie Erwin and incumbent Dale Davis. Klinke’s high popularity vote count would suggest his consideration for Board elected Mayor Pro-tem at Wednesday night’s organizational meeting.

Thank God people are willing to accept positive change.
For once in a very long time, It is a beautiful day in Huerfano County.

Location hidden

#20 Apr 7, 2010
I finally have news.
Don Keairns has been elected Mayor of La Veta by a landslide.
Don ousted Mayor Mickey Schmidt by a near landslide 230 votes to 145. This may be one of the largest margins of victory in recent memory.
Also, two of the pro-business candidates defeated incumbents Jesse Yarbrough and Tracy Webb.
Newly elected Trustee Larry Klinke received 175 votes, the highest number of votes by far, among the Trustee candidates. Larry will be joined on the Town Board by other winners Laurie Erwin and incumbent Dale Davis. Klinke’s high popularity vote count would suggest his consideration for Board elected Mayor Pro-tem at Wednesday night’s organizational meeting.
Thank God people are willing to accept positive change.
For once in a very long time, It is a beautiful day in Huerfano County.
That's great to hear....finally some good news coming from that sleeply little town. Way to go voters of La Veta.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Veta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Town Of Blanca CO Homepage Apr 27 bco 1
News Teen Beaten With Weapon In Walsenburg (Oct '11) Apr 23 KindWolf 2
News Ralph Candelario's Bizarre Murder of His Wife G... Apr 15 Phyllis Schlafly ... 1
Dakota Duke`s (May '12) Jan '16 Roudy The Second 14
News Lamar School Board narrows serach for superinte... (Jan '10) May '15 themiddleduck 23
Colorado Dialect Survey (2015) (Apr '15) Apr '15 aspen_eagle 2
Aspens Turning Yet (Sep '14) Sep '14 wondering 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Veta Mortgages