La Vergne to double property tax rate

La Vergne to double property tax rate

There are 8 comments on the The Daily News Journal story from May 24, 2011, titled La Vergne to double property tax rate. In it, The Daily News Journal reports that:

Residents here may soon see their property taxes double. The proposed 2011-2012 budget calls for property taxes to jump from 50 cents per $100 of assessed value to $1 per $100 of assessed value.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily News Journal.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#1 May 24, 2011
This new adminstration is hell bent on Emergency Management. 4 new police officers a year and 18 new firefighters over the next 5 years. All this to raise property taxes 100 percent increase. At the same time an increase in Water and Sewer bills. This will effectively cost each citizen an extra 1000 dollars or more each year. Does the city adminstration not understand that citizens may not stay and can move. When citizens are broke. They are not going to be able to spend money in the city. When new residents coming in find out about the increases, they will change there mind about moving here. Businesses will not come when being taxed to death. Senior Citizens, and Disabled living on a fixed income are unable to come up with kind of money. Moving may be the answer, and the city may see more homes go into foreclosure, more homes sitting empty. Then who are they going to tax to death.

Location hidden

#2 May 24, 2011
Will the Mayor and Aldermen increase there salary after this property tax increase? Will the City administrator recieve more money. Will we keep giving employees large severance packages. Will the city continue to discriminate and be out over half million on lawsuits. Will the salaries of Police Chief go up since they are already under paid. Same with other police officers. Sounds like are local government is trying to squeeze the citizens to make themselves even larger. Have a million dollars on sirens and the economy is already in the toilet. Does anyone have any sense here?
Big T

Smyrna, TN

#3 May 25, 2011
Vote them out.
Snail

United States

#4 Jun 9, 2011
i so agree with u
recall vote

Murfreesboro, TN

#5 Jun 10, 2011
I think it is time for a recall election. If someone would get a petition up and get the required number of voters to sign, we could then recall the election and get the tax mongers out.
Cissy

La Vergne, TN

#6 Aug 16, 2011
"Thanks!!!" So Much "SLICKWILLYBUDDY"... I Don't Know That I Could Of Said It Any Better...I Called Down To City Hall Just The Other Day...Water Dept. To Be Exact...After Having Received Another Bill...
Last Month...$75.54...This Month...$77.50...
"MARY" SAID..."IT'S EVERYONE IN LAVERGNE"...So Far...So Good...I Don't Feel So Alone Now...Then Went On To Tell..."THE CITY OF LAVERGNE HAS NOT HAD AN INCREASE IN 18 YEARS-THAT LAVERGNE HAD BEEN IN THE RED ZONE FOR SOMETIME WITH THE GOVERNMENT-IF THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE CHANGES NOW-THE GOVERNMENT WOULD-The PERCENTAGE OF WATER AND SEWER WERE ALSO MENTIONED ALONG WITH AN ADDED BONUS OF THE TAXES!!!
AN EXTRA 50%-(Meaning Taxes Are To Be Doubled!!!)-
I'm A Disabled/Handicap-Independent- And SSI Is The ONLY Income I Have-This DID NOT Seem To Matter!!!-
This Is A Brief Conversation BUTT By The Time I Listened To Everything MS MARY Was Saying-And After ASKING To DISCONNECT MY WATER-And AFTER BEING REFUSED-(The ONLY Way Of Having Water DISCONNECTED WOULD Be To MOVE-And AFTER BEING TOLD I COULDN'T PLACE A WELL ON "MY" OWN PROPERTY DUE TO THE FACT I WOULD STILL HAVE TO PAY CITY WATER BILL-And AFTER SAID ALL THIS...
Cissy

La Vergne, TN

#7 Aug 16, 2011
I Told MS MARY-I'D CALL BACK WITH NEW ADDRESS...
LOT OF LAUGHS-They DON'T Seem To Care If Your Own A Limited Budget-DON'T Seem To Care If You Are Handicap/Disabled...Mind You-I DON'T Want To Be Treated Any Different Then Anyone Else-They DON'T Care About OUR Own Senior Citizens-The Families With Minor Children With Disabilities-BUTT Were NOT Suppose To Care Either-BUTT They're In Office BY THE PEOPLE-FOR THE PEOPLE??-BUTT My 2 Questions Is Simply This-"WHERE DID THE PEOPLE GO?"-"I'M ONLY ONE PERSON WITH ONE VOICE"-"WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE HERE?"-"PLEASE LET ME KNOW"-Second-"ARE WE REALLY GOING TO TAKE AND PAY FOR SOMEONE ELSE'S CRAP?-`"THANKS!!!" FOR ALLOWING ME TO EXPRESS MYSELF-SINCERELY-"CISSY "-A CONCERNED CITIZEN OF LAVERGNE-TN...

Location hidden

#8 Oct 20, 2012
the time is now to go vote. Vote for Dennis Waldron and Melisa Brown. Remember our current adminstration did not listen to the people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Vergne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for Bobby Johnson, former Univ. of Kans... (Nov '14) Aug 20 Dont that beat all 7
Jason D. Keith.... (Feb '13) Aug 16 gay lives matter 4
Yates in smyrna (Mar '11) Aug 14 goose 1,329
Ashley Duncan/ Gibbs (Jun '14) Aug 11 donnell45 3
Vanessa Gregory and Meghan Joy Mayo helping ISIS Aug 8 Izod 5
Help Find Fugitive Aug 8 KimJasper 2
Any grown man want a young teen? (Mar '14) Aug 1 waffles 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Vergne Mortgages