Increased thefts from vehicle and auto burglaries lead police to wa...

Due to a jump in car burglaries and thefts from vehicles, Whittier police started passing out postcards and fliers last week telling residents to lock their cars and not to leave valuables in plain view. Full Story
Spelling PD

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Aug 7, 2010
Auto burglaries went up by 39 percent in Whittier and thefts from vehicles increased by 80 percent this years, Dekowski said.
Is this a high school paper? no proofreading?
Bin Laden

Whittier, CA

#2 Aug 7, 2010
Common sense isn't so common.
RealDemocrat

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Aug 8, 2010
And to think, Whittier is NOTHING like Phoenix huh?
peed off

Crescent City, CA

#5 Aug 8, 2010
Good, people there deserve it.
careless

Whittier, CA

#6 Aug 8, 2010
Maybe folks want stuff stolen?
SadButTrue

Ontario, CA

#7 Aug 8, 2010
I think if people were to stop leaving high value items in their cars this would not be such a huge problem! I mean we have the right to leave things in our cars without them being stolen, but people have to think. Honestly Whittier PD needs to do a better job at patrolling for these people breaking in, if possible why don't Whittier PD place out a Bait car and load it up with some valuable items like they do on TV and then catch the person once they break in or steal the car! Something needs to be done because obviously what they are doing now (NOTHING) is not working.
lady bug

Whittier, CA

#8 Aug 8, 2010
SadButTrue wrote:
I think if people were to stop leaving high value items in their cars this would not be such a huge problem! I mean we have the right to leave things in our cars without them being stolen, but people have to think. Honestly Whittier PD needs to do a better job at patrolling for these people breaking in, if possible why don't Whittier PD place out a Bait car and load it up with some valuable items like they do on TV and then catch the person once they break in or steal the car! Something needs to be done because obviously what they are doing now (NOTHING) is not working.
Did you read the whole article? It clearly states what they are doing now. One thing they are doing is alerting residents by getting this article printed.

Since: Sep 09

Pico Rivera

#9 Aug 8, 2010
turning into the bario ghetto
Really A Realtor

Pico Rivera, CA

#10 Aug 8, 2010
Many do not understand, nor live under, the rules of Private Property or Do Not Enter. I see this increase as another sign of, unfortunately, desperate times. Absolutely locking vehicles and removing belongings would prevent or at least decrease these crimes. Smart'n up!

Since: Aug 09

Long Beach, CA

#11 Aug 8, 2010
Are we trying to over catch Las Vegas in the most car thefts?
trs

Whittier, CA

#12 Aug 9, 2010
it would be nice to nkow if these incidents are confined (more or less) to a particular geographic area in the Whittier area. Come on WPD. Be a bit more specific.
MikeSweeney

North Hollywood, CA

#13 Aug 9, 2010
Spelling PD wrote:
Auto burglaries went up by 39 percent in Whittier and thefts from vehicles increased by 80 percent this years, Dekowski said.
Is this a high school paper? no proofreading?
Burglary and theft are two different things.
MikeSweeney

North Hollywood, CA

#14 Aug 9, 2010
peej18404 wrote:
turning into the bario ghetto
You're right. And it is downright scary.
lady lala

Whittier, CA

#15 Aug 9, 2010
Really A Realtor wrote:
Many do not understand, nor live under, the rules of Private Property or Do Not Enter. I see this increase as another sign of, unfortunately, desperate times. Absolutely locking vehicles and removing belongings would prevent or at least decrease these crimes. Smart'n up!
Watch for people on bikes riding through your neighborhood. Often young girls ride around and look for the stuff in cars, then the guys come and take it. Be wary of anyone who looks like they don't belong and are just hanging with nothing to do. They have something to do, but don't want you to see them do it!!!Call WPD and report suspicious activity.

Since: Aug 09

Long Beach, CA

#16 Aug 9, 2010
Insurance companies love reports like this as well as its a common tacit used to skyrocket already high rates for car insurance.
actuary

Whittier, CA

#17 Aug 9, 2010
Lightning10 Whittier wrote:
Insurance companies love reports like this as well as its a common tacit used to skyrocket already high rates for car insurance.
Articles cannot be used to raise or lower insurance rates. The state has formulas insurance companies are required to use to determine rates. Reported accidents, police reports, and the cost of repairing or replacing the vehicle are the common numbers used, not newspaper reports.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Puente Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
history of gangs in west covina (Dec '07) 52 min SGV Historian 2,616
Liking Parnell Park (May '08) 3 hr Jane and Sun-up 35
Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 3 hr tellinitlikeitis 1,315
Area police arrest officer (Aug '06) 4 hr Son 206
Who is CarParkr (Mar '13) 4 hr Justice 27
La Habra Heights author Regina Phelan dies (May '10) 17 hr Clarice 4
townsmen gang Feb 25 TSM 7

La Puente News Video

La Puente Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

La Puente People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:51 am PST