Spot Zoning is back
Open Records Act TX

La Porte, TX

#123 Feb 7, 2012
It is a lot of work at the City to comply with this. It is much less work, and much less costly if they just forked over the information when you asked for it the first time.

Trust me, whenever a ORA or a FOIA request is received, it it the subject of the next staff meeting. If an employee is lazy, and it caused this request, it will be noted at the top. Use this a leverage next time.
wrong again

Pasadena, TX

#124 Feb 7, 2012
Open Records Act TX wrote:
It is a lot of work at the City to comply with this. It is much less work, and much less costly if they just forked over the information when you asked for it the first time.
Trust me, whenever a ORA or a FOIA request is received, it it the subject of the next staff meeting. If an employee is lazy, and it caused this request, it will be noted at the top. Use this a leverage next time.
Hey dumb ass they don't receive the law the receive a ORR form.
Chris

League City, TX

#125 Feb 7, 2012
Can someone please explain what the fuss is about?

If this is the Turbo Machinery I'm thinking about - it's just another Run of the Mill Industrial services company - much like Sulzer on 225. It'll be a large warehouse and office building. Deer Park has Sinor and another competitor just feet from their Golf Course.

The amount of dangerious chemicals on site is problabley the same amount that's in the Janitor's closet at my kids school. It's not a distribution center like the one on 146 - so I don't think we're going to see Bayport style truck traffic. I can't see their enviromental pollution being anymore than your neighborhood auto repair shop.

Let's face it - this is an Industrial area. The Plants and Industries around here (and the country) are the majority of this side of town's life blood. It is this same economy that soffened our blow from the recent Economic downturn. You can put a Tux on a turd, but it's still a turd. We all need to learn to support it, or move. No one has to live here. There are 50 other states to chose from. I've traveled them all as well as numerous countries frequently for work, and there is no other place I can imagine living.
It is this same economy that soffened our blow from the recent Economic downturn.

Jobs are jobs reguardless if it's a La Porte citizen or a Baytown citizen working them. Hard earned money will get spent in La Porte. La Porte will get some decent tax dollars from the business. There will be some hotel/motel tax from visitors on company business. PPG isn't going to let any residential type of business in there (much like Friendswood Development Corp's policy with some of their Clear Lake land that was used for Drilling - so any general business development is better than nothing - or worse yet - extension of the Bay Area industrial complexes that currently exist on the otherside of Fairmont. Our only other development option around this area is another Logistics operation. Do we really need another one of those?

It's not like this is something that we all woke up one morning and instead of white sand beaches, beautiful hill country, etc. that was outside our back door when we went to sleep suddenly turned into a mass of industrial complexes.

Seesh people - look at the bigger picture and think for a minute before you fly off the handle. At least La Porte is letting some development instead of being it's usual PIA when it comes to development.
toological

United States

#126 Feb 8, 2012
Chris, you are too,logical,conservative, honest and intelligent for the liberal loonies on this topix site.But it is a pleasant change. Keep it up.
The liberal loonies like Heavy Fed, HaL Lawler, Ron Bottoms, Tim Tiejens,Michael Doby, Norma E and many others will attack you real soon get ready.
Outraged Observer

La Porte, TX

#127 Feb 8, 2012
Here it comes Chris.

So, you say that La Porte is a turd! This is something I would expect from Hoot, because this is where he and Council is taking this City.

Personally I take great offense from some outsider calling LP a Turd. But, with a P&Z like we have, you might not be far off.

Chris, if you had bothered to read this string in it's entirety you would realize that it is not so much about the project in question, but the people on the P&Z who are so willing to grant "carte blanche" a project that is non conforming to the intended land use envisioned by the master plan and approved by previous Councils with community input.

This P&Z board approved a project without complying with the city's own regulations, without a SCUP. There is no quality control on P&Z. Heck, most don't even show up for meetings. This is what happens when the people with IQ's above 90 stay at home.

Also in the meeting it was reveled, by his own testimony, that we have a Council appointee or appointees on the P&Z that have declared their opposition to "any regulation" of land use. What does that say about those Council Members. There is an election in May.

So what we have here is a project that does not fit the intended use for this land, has no SCUP, and we have a Council who deliberately appointed people they knew to P&Z who are out to destroy it, and therefore the City.

Bottomline, if this continues, and you own a home or business in La Porte, you are courting with a decline your standard of living. This is the first domino of light industrial and then heavy industrial creeping closer to our residential neighborhoods.

By the way,Chris, you are wrong. This piece of land is not currently an "industrial" area, as defined by the land use plan. It was intended to be high density residential which would have benefited local businesses much more than an over sized machine shop with people like you, possibly living in "nice League City" but working in a "TURD" (or vice versa) and taking the money to elsewhere.

This project is not positive. It will increase competition to existing turbo machinery companies and most likely cause layoffs. It is not about the project, it is about the project being in the wrong place.

No, this is spot zoning and it is about dumb asses and their dumb ass appointments, not just jobs and taxes.

It is about a system of rules and regulators and those that would destroy a century of measured fairness vs those that rape the land and live elsewhere. It is not putting a Tux on a Turd. It is about creating a turd.

When you grow up, you will understand what is going on here. How about attending the next P&Z meeting, or Council Meeting in this "TURD" of a town as you call it.
George

Deer Park, TX

#128 Feb 9, 2012
Interesting to See wrote:
<quoted text>
What will be interesting is to see how the Fairmont Park East Homeowners Association Board handles this when they discover that an industrial complex is going up next to their neighborhood. They already hired an attorney to fight the city on drainage. It will be interesting to see how they handle this one.
why should it be left up to that homeowners association to fight the battle. It is ALL of the citizens problem. I am constantly amazed at the "run away train" aka city of La porte. They seem to do whatever they want to do and get away with it.
Outraged Observer

La Porte, TX

#129 Feb 9, 2012
George you are right. We have a representative government here, but they (City Council) have appointed a bunch of people who do not represent us, they represent themselves, with conflicted interests. That is, when they show up.

I will give Council a chance to overturn this decision, since it is non-conforming. If they don't, there is the ballot box in May. The Mayor and two Council members are up for election.

P&Z is out of control, and in May, we need to put at least two out of three elected officials out on the street. For sure, one is Daryl Leonard, who thinks he represents represents District 3, but really doesn't. He votes however District 5 votes and a bunch of these out of control P&Z members live there.

The other you can pick, either Chuck Engekin or Mayor Louis Rigby. Chuck is normally a good guy. Rigby is OK most of the time, so this will be a tough choice. I'll wait and see how they vote.

For sure Dottie is in the cross hairs when she is up for appointing Hoot.

I'd suggest you look at who appointed whom on the P&Z and make a decision. Our city is at stake here. The P&Z is lousy with self interests, from contractors, to real estate agents. It is amazing.

Since: Dec 10

La Porte, TX

#130 Feb 9, 2012
Since listening to just over 2 hours of the January 19th Planning & Zoning Meeting I have a better understanding of what the discension is about. Just going by conversations had with people I know that are pro or con did not make me an informed resident.

I am embarrassed by the way the meeting went and I wasn't even there.

Towards the end of meeting the Chairman apologized and took all blame for letting the meeting get out of hand. He said they basically put the "cart before the horse" without having or asking for all the facts and answers from "Staff" that should have been covered at the start of that agenda item.

There also seems to me to be some very important issues inside the P&Z Committee that need to be addressed, and as the saying goes, "nipped in the bud" now.

You can go to the City of La Porte webpage and then the P&Z to download the audio.
hal

United States

#131 Feb 9, 2012
Norma E wrote:
Since listening to just over 2 hours of the January 19th Planning & Zoning Meeting I have a better understanding of what the discension is about. Just going by conversations had with people I know that are pro or con did not make me an informed resident.
I am embarrassed by the way the meeting went and I wasn't even there.
Towards the end of meeting the Chairman apologized and took all blame for letting the meeting get out of hand. He said they basically put the "cart before the horse" without having or asking for all the facts and answers from "Staff" that should have been covered at the start of that agenda item.
There also seems to me to be some very important issues inside the P&Z Committee that need to be addressed, and as the saying goes, "nipped in the bud" now.
You can go to the City of La Porte webpage and then the P&Z to download the audio.
It would been much better for you to be there in person Norma, I needed your support. I got out voted 4 to 1 by the 3 brain dead yes voters who backed Hoot
Outraged Observer

La Porte, TX

#132 Feb 10, 2012
There you go. Hoot, the barefoot bandit, the Pied Piper of La Porte, is leading the lemmings (P&Z members with the brains of a rodent) off the cliff.

Or put another way, unfortunately, in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

In case you can't understand the metaphor, the blind are the 3 P&Z members (the others, except for Hal Lawler, don't even have the initiative to show up) and Hoot. Hoot is the one with half a brain, is the P&Z King.

Shame on the 3 who voted for this without a SCUP.

Shame on the P&Z members who evidently agree with Hoot that this City does note need Planning and Zoning Regulations.

Shame on Staff for not being prepared.

Shame on Dottie Kaminski, you appointed Hoot. Why did you do this? Where you fooled, or just stupid??? You knew who Hoot was.

Mayor Rigby, please lead this city and do something about this. You have disbanded boards or commissions before. Be a leader, do it now.
HEY

Fort Worth, TX

#133 Feb 10, 2012
Outraged Observer wrote:
There you go. Hoot, the barefoot bandit, the Pied Piper of La Porte, is leading the lemmings (P&Z members with the brains of a rodent) off the cliff.

Or put another way, unfortunately, in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

In case you can't understand the metaphor, the blind are the 3 P&Z members (the others, except for Hal Lawler, don't even have the initiative to show up) and Hoot. Hoot is the one with half a brain, is the P&Z King.

Shame on the P&Z members who evidently agree with Hoot that this City does note need Planning and Zoning Regulations.

Shame on Dottie Kaminski, you appointed Hoot. Why did you do this? Where you fooled, or just stupid??? You knew who Hoot was.

Mayor Rigby, please lead this city and do something about this. You have disbanded boards or commissions before. Be a leader, do it now.
I just want say that the 'appointment' of Phillip Hoot by Dottie Laminski to the P&Z Board had to be approved by others so there's really no reason to keep harping on

Since: Jul 10

Pasadena, TX

#134 Feb 10, 2012
HEY wrote:
<quoted text>I just want say that the 'appointment' of Phillip Hoot by Dottie Laminski to the P&Z Board had to be approved by others so there's really no reason to keep harping on
Thank you!
wrong again

Pasadena, TX

#135 Feb 10, 2012
Outraged Observer wrote:
Your just a dope head that didn't get his way. You sound like a Junior High Girl. Did Hoot steal your girl friend too.

Why don't you grow up and argue the merits of the project instead of trying to make this a personalty thing.

It sounds like Staff got caught with their pants around their knees and got drilled. Staff did not do their job and now you are trying to make Hoot the escape goat.

We finally got someone on the board that won't rubber stamp every hair brained scheme that staff wants and you want to run him off. Maybe that is the problem we finally got someone on the board that sees thru your bullshit and you don't like it.

We need people like Hoot on the board to give it a balanced view.

La Porte, TX

#136 Feb 10, 2012
wrong again wrote:
<quoted text>Your just a dope head that didn't get his way. You sound like a Junior High Girl. Did Hoot steal your girl friend too.

Why don't you grow up and argue the merits of the project instead of trying to make this a personalty thing.

It sounds like Staff got caught with their pants around their knees and got drilled. Staff did not do their job and now you are trying to make Hoot the escape goat.

We finally got someone on the board that won't rubber stamp every hair brained scheme that staff wants and you want to run him off. Maybe that is the problem we finally got someone on the board that sees thru your bullshit and you don't like it.

We need people like Hoot on the board to give it a balanced view.
Just curious. Were you at that meeting or did you listen to the complete audio of the meeting?

If you didn't, you should before making any other comments.

I'm not talking about making P. Hoot an escape goat
east texas

Conroe, TX

#137 Feb 10, 2012
that is "scape goat" not escape goat and therefore it should be "a scape goat"
east texas

Conroe, TX

#138 Feb 10, 2012
Oh-Oh: Caught my own mistake
Scapegoat is one word, not 2 (scape goat)
tim

United States

#139 Feb 10, 2012
Norma E wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious. Were you at that meeting or did you listen to the complete audio of the meeting?
Norma was not at the meeting.The tape is not accurate and is not complete.Shannon the Secretary left the room to go to
? and the tape ran out. Norma does not not know anymore than anyone else on this site except me, Debbie and Hal.

La Porte, TX

#140 Feb 10, 2012
tim wrote:
<quoted text>Norma was not at the meeting.The tape is not accurate and is not complete.Shannon the Secretary left the room to go to
? and the tape ran out. Norma does not not know anymore than anyone else on this site except me, Debbie and Hal.
Thanks Tim. In that case, will you fill me in?

Without having to go back and listen to the tapes again, there was a point where the meeting could not continue because of the absence of the Secretary but the tape never stopped.
wrong again

Pasadena, TX

#141 Feb 10, 2012
Norma E wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you Outraged Observer? Unless you are I was not talking about you. I was talking about the idiot that hasn't even read the City's agenda for the meeting.

Yes I did listen to the audio and I also READ THE AGENDA about the part where P&Z was to "Consider recommendation to City Council regarding Special Conditional Use Permit Request
#11-91000007."
Whose the dummy know

Pasadena, TX

#142 Feb 10, 2012
Outraged Observer wrote:
This project is not positive. It will increase competition to existing turbo machinery companies and most likely cause layoffs. It is not about the project, it is about the project being in the wrong place.
This just shows how intelligent you argument is.

Let us have them open up in Deer Park to compete against Sulzer and steal the jobs away from La Porte. At least if they open in La Porte and steal the jobs away at least the jobs will stay here.

And you call Dottie and Hoot the dumb ass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Porte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Trump Stumps....Trump is chicken 40 min yooflungpoo 7
Blood Road Legend in Baytown, Tx (Oct '08) Mon Thoover 54
Job Feb 25 Truth is might 99
WHERE is Charles Gilliam? Feb 22 Elaine 4
Trump Is Doing a Good Job Feb 22 red dawn 10
News Video figures into appeal of convicted murderer... (Aug '08) Feb 22 SamTex 145
Hey Trump Stumps...Vacation Costs Reach $10 Mil... Feb 21 Defiant1 9

La Porte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Porte Mortgages