Spot Zoning is back
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Citzen

La Porte, TX

#1 Jan 24, 2012
At the last Planning and Zoning brought back spot zoning. They permitted a large industrial plant to be built between Fairmont and Spencer on Bay Area Blvd. More to the point, they did it without a SCUP or Special Conditional Use Permit required in a Planned Unit Development. What is happening here?

This land was never envisioned to be industrial. It was envisioned to be either residential or light commercial. This one development will ruin forever, any decent use,in this area, but will invite more blight that belongs along 225 or further south on Bay Area.

This development will invite considerable, very heavy, truck traffic. It will be noisy and the next thing you know, it will have a huge laydown yard, making the whole area look like a giant junk yard.

Council needs to approve this by two thirds because it does not fit in with the master plan. We need to protest this action.
Outraged Observer

La Porte, TX

#2 Jan 24, 2012
What is incredible is the statements made in public at the P&Z meeting by Dottie Kaminski's appointment to the P&Z Philip Hoot. He said, at the P&Z meeting that this city does not need any regulations. He voted for this.

I don't know about you, but in my opinion, Dottie is too dumb to be on Council or doesn't care about La Porte at all.

This is the worst P&Z decision I've seen since the old Bayshore Bank worked to spot zone container storage areas in the 1980's. That caused a change in the Mayor, and most of Council. Is history repeating itself?

Council, you need to set this abomination straight. You will need to vote on this. Your P&Z, except for Hal Lawler, is either abdicating their responsibilities or are very lazy. Vote this down. The City is watching. The next thing you know we will be permitting incinerators next to our neighborhoods again.

Hoot Supporters

La Porte, TX

#3 Jan 24, 2012
Folks, keep your eyes on Mayor Rigby, Dottie Kaminski, and John Zemanek. They and others voted to approve Hoot to be on the P&Z board, and they knew him well. These are council members who have supported the absurd views of Philip Hoot in the past and voted to approve him anyway. Hoot is an extreme danger to our property values in this city.

Watch this vote on the Turbo machinery monstrosity. There are others on Council who might go along with this and there is an election in May. This can be stopped by less than a two thirds vote to approve.
Next Meeting

La Porte, TX

#4 Jan 24, 2012
When is this going to be voted upon at council? If P &Z didn't provide a SCUP, how can they vote on it?

Since: Dec 10

La Porte, TX

#5 Jan 24, 2012
Citzen wrote:
At the last Planning and Zoning brought back spot zoning. They permitted a large industrial plant to be built between Fairmont and Spencer on Bay Area Blvd. More to the point, they did it without a SCUP or Special Conditional Use Permit required in a Planned Unit Development. What is happening here?

This land was never envisioned to be industrial. It was envisioned to be either residential or light commercial. This one development will ruin forever, any decent use,in this area, but will invite more blight that belongs along 225 or further south on Bay Area.

This development will invite considerable, very heavy, truck traffic. It will be noisy and the next thing you know, it will have a huge laydown yard, making the whole area look like a giant junk yard.

Council needs to approve this by two thirds because it does not fit in with the master plan. We need to protest this action.
Exactly where Is this property that your referring to between on Bay Area?

When you say "spot zoning", does that mean that a business, industrial or otherwise, could possibly be built next to me or that I could build my house next to such as long as I got the P&Z and City Council to re-zone the property???

Just what kind of "development" are you referring to?

La Porte, TX

#6 Jan 24, 2012
Hoot Supporters wrote:
Folks, keep your eyes on Mayor Rigby, Dottie Kaminski, and John Zemanek. They and others voted to approve Hoot to be on the P&Z board, and they knew him well. These are council members who have supported the absurd views of Philip Hoot in the past and voted to approve him anyway. Hoot is an extreme danger to our property values in this city.

Watch this vote on the Turbo machinery monstrosity. There are others on Council who might go along with this and there is an election in May. This can be stopped by less than a two thirds vote to approve.
"TURBO MACHINERY"?? Is that what is being inferred about for the "spot zoning" issue??

La Porte, TX

#7 Jan 24, 2012
Next Meeting wrote:
When is this going to be voted upon at council? If P &Z didn't provide a SCUP, how can they vote on it?
The next P&Z MEETING is February 16th. THIRD Thursday of each month.
The others

Gretna, LA

#8 Jan 24, 2012
Hoot Supporters wrote:
Watch this vote on the Turbo machinery monstrosity. There are others on Council who might go along with this and there is an electiLon in May. This can be stopped by less than a two thirds vote to approve.
The others that approved Hoot were Jay Martin, Mike Clausen, Mike Mosteit, Tommy Moser, Chuck Engleken and Daryl Leonard. What I am trying to say is his approval was unanimous.

La Porte, TX

#9 Jan 24, 2012
The others wrote:
<quoted text>The others that approved Hoot were Jay Martin, Mike Clausen, Mike Mosteit, Tommy Moser, Chuck Engleken and Daryl Leonard. What I am trying to say is his approval was unanimous.
Just out of curiosity, were there any others that were interested in filling that vacant spot??
Outraged Observer

La Porte, TX

#10 Jan 24, 2012
You miss the point. We have a P&Z Commission that is out of control. They are rubber stamping requests and not upholding the rules that have limited the power brokers who in the past could put anything anywhere.

The Master Plan is the controlling document. The Master Plan and the zoning ordinance has rules that are being ignored. Dottie has appointed a person who, in that meeting admitted he will not uphold the rules he swore to up hold. Whom do you hold accountable is the question. The person who admits he can't do the job or the person who appointed him? Someone needs to resign.

These people are evidently bought and paid for. We need to hold our elected officials accountable before they destroy our city.

To answer Norma E's question, yes, this will affect your property if approved in this manner.

Since: Dec 09

La Porte

#11 Jan 25, 2012
The others wrote:
<quoted text>
The others that approved Hoot were Jay Martin, Mike Clausen, Mike Mosteit, Tommy Moser, Chuck Engleken and Daryl Leonard. What I am trying to say is his approval was unanimous.
Each member of city council nominates one member to P&Z. The Mayor nominates the Chair. These nominations are almost considered appointments, as the council rarely opposes a nomination. The last time I remember this happening was Georgia Malone's nomination of Katherine Aguilar (sp?)- don't remember the board she was nominated for. Council denied, and Georgia went on the resign her position. So it isn't surprising that Hoot's nomination was approved.

Since: Jan 10

La Porte, TX

#12 Jan 25, 2012
This came to P&Z as a one sided hatchet job by staff to kill this project. The only way you can accuse of of rubber stamping is if we set up the there with blinders and drank the Koolaid Staff was serving.

This a $15 million project and will add $5 million of payroll to the economy and you want to kill it because some day we might build an apartment complex. What kind of idiot are you.

La Porte, TX

#13 Jan 25, 2012
hootster wrote:
This came to P&Z as a one sided hatchet job by staff to kill this project. The only way you can accuse of of rubber stamping is if we set up the there with blinders and drank the Koolaid Staff was serving.

This a $15 million project and will add $5 million of payroll to the economy and you want to kill it because some day we might build an apartment complex. What kind of idiot are you.
From what I understand, the city does not receive tax revenue from this 40 acres of land which is part of a larger area that is between Spencer and Fairmont.
Cattle are on this (PPG) property and qualifies for agriculture exemption.
I'm just guessing that the turbo smachinery company approached PPG in selling this property to them. My question now is, why that particular piece of property, when there is property on the East side of Bay Area Blvd.(between Spencer and Fairmont)??

Since: Jan 10

La Porte, TX

#14 Jan 25, 2012
PPG produces phosgene a highly toxic material. They own the property as a buffer zone in case of a release. That is why PPG said they will never sell for any type residential occupation. They own both sides of the road.

La Porte, TX

#15 Jan 25, 2012
hootster wrote:
PPG produces phosgene a highly toxic material. They own the property as a buffer zone in case of a release. That is why PPG said they will never sell for any type residential occupation. They own both sides of the road.
I understand PPG saying they would never sell any of the property for residential occupation but that couldn't be done anyway because of the zoning regulation's, is that not correct?
So what actually is the zoning for that area and what is or who and why is it trying to be rezoned?

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#16 Jan 25, 2012
hootster wrote:
Is the extra money really worth increasing the cancer rates even just a little bit here in La Porte?

More industry, more trucks more pollution more cancer more death.

We are selling out the lives of our children here, folks!!

La Porte, TX

#17 Jan 25, 2012
Outraged Observer wrote:
You miss the point. We have a P&Z Commission that is out of control. They are rubber stamping requests and not upholding the rules(?) that have limited the power brokers who in the past could put anything anywhere.

The Master Plan (WHERE OR WHAT) is the controlling document.

WHERE CAN I, AS A LOWLY RESIDENTIAL CITIZEN, FIND ALL THIS INFORMATION?

The Master Plan and the zoning ordinance has rules that are being ignored. WHAT RULES ARE BEING IGNORED??

Dottie has appointed a person who, in that meeting admitted he will not uphold the rules he swore to up hold. Whom do you hold accountable is the question.

HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHO TO HOLD ACCOUNTABLE WHEN ALL THE FACTS AREN'T DISCLOSED?
The person who admits he can't do the job or the person who appointed him? Someone needs to resign.

These people are evidently bought and paid for. We need to hold our elected officials accountable before they destroy our city.

IT'S REALLY HARD TO KNOW HOW TO APPROACH AN ISSUE WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!!!!

To answer Norma E's question, yes, this will affect your property if approved in this manner.
MY RESPONSES/QUESTIONS/INQUIRIES ARE ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS!!
Outraged Observer

La Porte, TX

#18 Jan 25, 2012
hootster wrote:
First, Hoot does not belong on P&G because he is on record saying that "La Porte does not need regulations". P&Z is all about upholding regulations. We are a city with planning and zoning and for good reason. Spot zoning is one reason and almost ruined this city when the Port created Barbors Cut.

Second, Hoot does not do his homework. He does not understand the regulations, the policies or the procedure. If he did, he would not have approved this project until everything was committed to paper and signed sealed and delivered.

Third,as to the benefits of this project, it is taking work away from existing turbo machinery facilities. This is a new competitor, and others will lose work and jobs.

Forth, Hoot,in my opinion, or Kaminski, his appointee, has been offered some sort of compensation to vote for this project by a person whose non-compete clause is up. Both know who I am talking about.

In conclusion, when you subvert the rules of "vetting" a project like this by subverting the rules of established P&Z procedure, you are putting yourself above the law. An investigation is warranted.There is more to this than meets the eye.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled, before the FBI gets called into this.
Wait a Minute

Pasadena, TX

#19 Jan 25, 2012
hootster wrote:
But yet they want to sell a 40-acre part of this buffer zone to an industrial complex? Does PPG find the potential release of phosgene and resulting exposure to the hundreds of workers that will be contributing, as you say,$5 million to La Porte's economy from this complex an acceptable risk?
Interesting to See

Pasadena, TX

#20 Jan 25, 2012
Outraged Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
In conclusion, when you subvert the rules of "vetting" a project like this by subverting the rules of established P&Z procedure, you are putting yourself above the law. An investigation is warranted.There is more to this than meets the eye.
It will be interesting to see how this is handled, before the FBI gets called into this.
What will be interesting is to see how the Fairmont Park East Homeowners Association Board handles this when they discover that an industrial complex is going up next to their neighborhood. They already hired an attorney to fight the city on drainage. It will be interesting to see how they handle this one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Porte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If Trump does what he says... 6 hr Defiant1 9
Yeah...SOTUS rules Texas Republicans abortion l... 11 hr Texan 13
Coward Republicans Hiding Tue Heavy Fed 30
Let there be water... Tue Heavy Fed 46
OG Mudbone Tue Loraine 1
Ethnic slur or American idiom? (Nov '11) Jun 26 Defiant1 27
North L Jun 26 Heavy Fed 9

La Porte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance