John McCain votes Nay on Veterans Job...

John McCain votes Nay on Veterans Jobs Bill, helps to kill it

Posted in the La Porte Forum

LaPorteCitizen

Pasadena, TX

#1 Sep 21, 2012
http://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-bl...

Quote from the article:

"Senator John McCain, of all people, opted to vote no on the bill. McCain's vote is especially odd since just a week ago he released letters from the CEOs of a dozen giant defense conglomerates appealing to Congress to avoid defense cuts. McCain's reasoning to circumvent sequestration cuts was under the oft-flexed auspicouses of "supporting our troops," maintaining a "strong military," and, of all things, not losing more American jobs.
How is one form of military job spending "supporting our troops" but another form is not?"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-bl...

Since: Feb 12

Houston, TX

#2 Sep 21, 2012
Sound like it was a bad bill and didn't really help veterans. It was Dimocrats playing politics with veterans lives.. Good call by Republicans.

Republicans stated that the bill was not paid for and voted against moving it forward. The bill would have provided $1 billion over five years to veterans seeking employment in their communities. Senator Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) opposed the bill since it duplicated existing job programs for veterans

According to Senator Coburn, there are a total of six job programs already available to veterans. Also, the Federal government already provides funding for local police and fire departments to hire personnel.

The Democrats knew that bill would not have passed the House but decided to push ahead with it in the Senate. This was done as an opportunity to label Republicans as disinterested in helping unemployed veterans.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/15164/veter...
red dawn

Houston, TX

#3 Sep 22, 2012
nothing but pure democrat BS right before a election.
LaPorteCitizen

Pasadena, TX

#4 Sep 22, 2012
I believe that the Democratic Administration did hope to force this Obstructionist Senate to pass something, anything, that could be seen as an accomplishment. And you are right, the Republicans certainly did not take the bait. But, are you completely comfortable with what has been done, and not done, for our Veterans. Do you truthfully believe, that they have been adequately housed, employed, and medically cared for? I don't!

Since: Feb 12

Houston, TX

#5 Sep 22, 2012
LaPorteCitizen wrote:
I believe that the Democratic Administration did hope to force this Obstructionist Senate to pass something, anything, that could be seen as an accomplishment. And you are right, the Republicans certainly did not take the bait. But, are you completely comfortable with what has been done, and not done, for our Veterans. Do you truthfully believe, that they have been adequately housed, employed, and medically cared for? I don't!
You are right about the obstructionist. senate. Of course the Dimocrats have a majority in the senate. So the obstructionists are Dims.

You really don't understand what you are reposting, do you?
LaPorteCitizen

Pasadena, TX

#6 Sep 22, 2012
I did not repost anything, all original thought there. I also did not refer to the Republicans with juvenile misspelling, which only reflects badly on the writer. And, you did not answer the only question that I posed.
red dawn

Houston, TX

#7 Sep 22, 2012
RED will answer--No the troops are NOT being cared for--NOW the problem seems to be with YOUR democrat majority obstructionist senate. these are the ones you placed the blame on, and I agree with you, they are defintly at blame.
LaPorteCitizen

Pasadena, TX

#8 Sep 22, 2012
4 Republican Senators helped to write the Veteran's Jobs bill. Then those 4 and 49 other Republicans voted against it, it was a Republican majority that voted to kill the bill, Senator McCain being one of them. I believe this failure is shameful and politically motivated. And I agree with you, the Veterans are not being taken care of, they are being sacrificed for the sake of politics.
red dawn

Houston, TX

#9 Sep 22, 2012
http://askville.amazon.com/Democrats-Senate-s... the DEMOCRATS hold the majority in the senate-- so just how did a (REPUBLICAN) majority vote the bill down.
red dawn

Houston, TX

#10 Sep 22, 2012
lets do some math (regular math) not democrat math. there is a total of 100 senators, so to be a majority one side has to have more than 50 senators.--since the democrats are in the majority, that means they have more than 50 senators. so now acording to YOUR math, 4 plus 49 other republicans voted against the bill. ooohhh wait a minute I believe we have a problem with that math. that would mean there are 53 republican senators. NO SIR I do not think that math is going to work. how can this possibly be??. if the republicans are the minority that means they have LESS than 50 senators.
LaPorteCitizen

Pasadena, TX

#11 Sep 22, 2012
Because the bill required a 60 yea vote to pass, 57 Democrats, 41 Republicans, 2 Independant Senators resulted in a 58 to 40 vote the killed the bill. It was thought that since 4 Republican Senators helped to write the bill, that they would vote for the bill in the same non-partisan attitude they had exhibited in participating in the bills construction. But, sadly no, partisan politics took over and the bill was defeated.
red dawn

Houston, TX

#12 Sep 22, 2012
I believe there was changes made to the bill after the 4 republicans agreed to support it, causing them to withdraw support. i heard that reported on several news stations. that is sort of like you agreeing to pay 20 thousand for a new car, then when it is time to sign the papers, the dealer says we have raised the price to 25 thousand, but go ahead and sign the papers anyway. you have to listen carefully to the news, there is lots of spin from both sides, and selective reporting on several news channels.
LaPorteCitizen

Pasadena, TX

#13 Sep 22, 2012
no, that really isn't it at all, the bill was fully funded, had bi-partisan support. There is higher unemployment for Vets than any other segment in society. 1 week prior, McCain was all for it. Ultimately the R's just could not let a positive result happen during this pre-election period. It was completely political.
red dawn

Houston, TX

#14 Sep 23, 2012
maybe it is still GEORGE BUSH FAULT, guess we will get to hear that tired old BS 4 more years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Porte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blood Road Legend in Baytown, Tx (Oct '08) 5 hr Thoover 54
Hey Trump Stumps....Trump is chicken 7 hr Defiant1 6
Job Sat Truth is might 99
WHERE is Charles Gilliam? Feb 22 Elaine 4
Trump Is Doing a Good Job Feb 22 red dawn 10
News Video figures into appeal of convicted murderer... (Aug '08) Feb 22 SamTex 145
Hey Trump Stumps...Vacation Costs Reach $10 Mil... Feb 21 Defiant1 9

La Porte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Porte Mortgages