Posted in the La Porte Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

La Porte, TX

#1 Mar 29, 2011
It looks like that will be a fact.

Will operate one (Saturday ?) day a month. Management hopes to be up and going by the beginning of May.

Will be using the building located at the "Five-Points" Pavillion.

I'm looking forward to it and hope it turns out to be a very successful endeavor.
Happy2BMe

League City, TX

#2 Mar 29, 2011
That will be wonderful!!!! Tired of the junk they call produce at the grocery stores.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#3 Mar 29, 2011
It just seems that one Sat per month is too seldom. I would say once a week would be more in order. Vegetables need to be bought on a weekly if not more frequent basis. This would be a fresh market day for people and would encourage shoppers to get in a habit of shopping at the farmer's market.

La Porte, TX

#5 Mar 29, 2011
I was going to ask last night about why just once a month after the meeting, well actually several of us got "frozen out" and had to go outside before the meeting was over, but anyway, she was approached by several people asking questions and I didn't get a chance.

You're right though, it seems it would be better to try and have it every Saturday.
Heavily Medicated

Deer Park, TX

#6 Mar 29, 2011
Norma E wrote:
I was going to ask last night about why just once a month after the meeting, well actually several of us got "frozen out" and had to go outside before the meeting was over, but anyway, she was approached by several people asking questions and I didn't get a chance.
You're right though, it seems it would be better to try and have it every Saturday.
Since no good deed ever goes unpunished in La Porte, no one is willing to dive-into a full-fledged obligation without checking the depth of the water first. It will truly depend on the support the community gives it.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#7 Mar 29, 2011
east texas wrote:
It just seems that one Sat per month is too seldom. I would say once a week would be more in order. Vegetables need to be bought on a weekly if not more frequent basis. This would be a fresh market day for people and would encourage shoppers to get in a habit of shopping at the farmer's market.
I think once a week would be better as well, but the demand needs to be there as well.

It will do no good to have people up there with their vegetables... all by themselves.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#8 Mar 29, 2011
Heavily Medicated wrote:
<quoted text>
Since no good deed ever goes unpunished in La Porte, no one is willing to dive-into a full-fledged obligation without checking the depth of the water first. It will truly depend on the support the community gives it.
There is two ways of looking at this issue. I always say that success breeds success. If you start with a half-ass operation that will ultimately be what you get. The best way to enter into a proposed undertaking is to do a needs assessment. The best way to do the needs assessment is to solicit peoples opinion by personal contact. You do two things by doing it this way; to find out the feasibility of the undertaking and also advertise.

La Porte, TX

#9 Mar 29, 2011
east texas wrote:
<quoted text>There is two ways of looking at this issue. I always say that success breeds success. If you start with a half-ass operation that will ultimately be what you get. The best way to enter into a proposed undertaking is to do a needs assessment. The best way to do the needs assessment is to solicit peoples opinion by personal contact. You do two things by doing it this way; to find out the feasibility of the undertaking and also advertise.
Apparently the lady that is bringing this in has had a lot of interest shown by (I guess) enough people in La Porte to feel that this will be a successful endeavor.

Also, there appears to be substantial amount of vegetable growers right here in La Porte to be able to have accommodate a market such as this.

Again, it will take the support of the community to make it a success. I think that it being where it's going to be will be a plus. The other fresh vegetable market that was on Spencer Hwy., I feel, didn't have a very good location from the beginning and the prices seemed to be a little high for what was offered, at least for me.

Let's not start listing all the reasons why it won't be a success before it's even started. We can make it a success if the Market is what it's proclaimed to be.

La Porte, TX

#10 Mar 29, 2011
Heavily Medicated wrote:
<quoted text>
You may know the person that is going to be bringing this in. She said she had one in Deer Park. I THINK it was at the Dow Park Center.

Of course, the support of the community will make or break it. And since she's already had experience with having one in Deer Park it may be that she's learned what works and what doesn't work.

The City Council stressed that they didn't want to see a "flea market" type atmosphere and that it should be all fresh vegetables and maybe some other 'food' items.

Location hidden

#11 Mar 29, 2011
As long as they don't charge a fee to people selling their vegetables... I am sure there will be lots of people who will participate.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#12 Mar 29, 2011
There are many gardeners in LaPorte area especially Lomax with their large lots. These gardeners need to be identified and contacted. Most gardeners would grow larger plots if they knew there was a market. It would be nice if the food pantries could give fresh vegetables to their recipients.

La Porte, TX

#13 Mar 29, 2011
east texas wrote:
There are many gardeners in LaPorte area especially Lomax with their large lots. These gardeners need to be identified and contacted. Most gardeners would grow larger plots if they knew there was a market. It would be nice if the food pantries could give fresh vegetables to their recipients.
From my understanding, she has talked with them and there is supposed to be a meeting with them to discuss all the particulars.

La Porte, TX

#14 Mar 29, 2011
I copied the following from the MAIN STREET BREW thread.

There will be a gathering to which Main St. merchants and other interested parties are invited to attend. Tomorrow, Wednesday, at 8:30 - 9:30 in the the new Photography shop at the corner of 3rd and Main, next to the Gazebo. This provides an opportunity to ask those questions about 5 pts., the vegetable market, and other related questions about Main St. that you may have. To inquire in advance, call the city, and ask for the City Manager,s office.

Since: Jul 10

Houston, TX

#15 Mar 29, 2011
Aweaome! Now let's support it so those in charge see it as viable and will add more dates.
OldLaPorte

Houston, TX

#16 Mar 29, 2011
smc_ wrote:
Aweaome! Now let's support it so those in charge see it as viable and will add more dates.
WTF?
Happy2BeMe

Houston, TX

#17 Mar 29, 2011
Norma E wrote:
I copied the following from the MAIN STREET BREW thread.
There will be a gathering to which Main St. merchants and other interested parties are invited to attend. Tomorrow, Wednesday, at 8:30 - 9:30 in the the new Photography shop at the corner of 3rd and Main, next to the Gazebo. This provides an opportunity to ask those questions about 5 pts., the vegetable market, and other related questions about Main St. that you may have. To inquire in advance, call the city, and ask for the City Manager,s office.
You crack me up. All of your posts are always so funny. You sound like a little old man.

Location hidden

#18 Mar 29, 2011
Happy2BeMe wrote:
<quoted text>
You crack me up. All of your posts are always so funny. You sound like a little old man.
No doubt!

An aggressive, angry, nasty old man.

"She" has a mind in there somewhere though, I just wish she'd find it and hold on to it for dear life!
Ricky

Deer Park, TX

#19 Mar 29, 2011
OldLaPorte wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
If we support it maybe they will have it more than one day a month. I look forward to it. There is nothing like fresh off the vine tomatoes eaten like an apple, home grown okra or squash...yum.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#20 Mar 29, 2011
If it was not for but four things it would be worth it. 1. Okra 2. Mustard, Turnip and Collard Greens, 3. tomatoes and 4. cucumbers. Oh yea, add squash.

La Porte, TX

#21 Mar 29, 2011
east texas wrote:
If it was not for but four things it would be worth it. 1. Okra 2. Mustard, Turnip and Collard Greens, 3. tomatoes and 4. cucumbers. Oh yea, add squash.
DITTO!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Porte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote Democrat....What have you got to lose? 4 hr Elaine 6
Hillary Helped Criminal Get Ten Million Dollars 4 hr Defiant1 8
Put lipstck on a pig...still a Republican! 4 hr Defiant1 8
democrats gaining strength in Texas 4 hr Defiant1 34
Trump Talking Special Prosecutor if Elected 7 hr Defiant1 19
Obama Offends People in Louisana 7 hr Defiant1 24
zika coming to Harris County 7 hr Defiant1 19

La Porte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance