Do you know what REALLY goes on at The Boys and Girls Harbor? Do you care?

Posted in the La Porte Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1 Sep 4, 2010
I really do believe that the people of La Porte need to ask more questions of the people who are running this organization! I know that there are many folks out there that believe their donations are helping and going to he right place, but let me tell you, you are wrong! Let me also tell you there are children being abused there and CPS will DO NOTHING because of the working relationship they have with The Harbor. Let me also tell you that recently a staff member stole $15,000 in gift cards that were donated for the children. I feel that this organization needs NEW leadership ASAP. The executive director of this organization make $150,000 a year and the children are being sent to school without socks, underwear, decent shoes, unfed, dirty clothes...it is disgusting! The children were served spoiled milk for lunch and were forced to attend a school that had absolutely DISGUSTING restroom facilities! No soap, toilet paper, paper towels and then told there were cameras in the restrooms! Some of the histories of these children make them uncomfortable thinking that the grown man who told them this is watching them go to the restroom! Just stomach turning knowing what is going on back there at, some like to refer to as, "Peyton's Place." Let's not let these people get away with taking advantage of the good folks of the community who are helping and care!
LP Energy

United States

#2 Sep 4, 2010
Maybe this is where all the energy that is wasted on this forum should focus. All of you so called political activists on this forum and mad moms should ask more questions about the Harbor. If I had to guess the topix was started by someone who knows more than us...although it might be a bit inflated...something tells me there may be truth to the comments.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#3 Sep 4, 2010
All factual!
What

Pasadena, TX

#4 Sep 4, 2010
SHH HUSH wrote:
I really do believe that the people of La Porte need to ask more questions of the people who are running this organization! I know that there are many folks out there that believe their donations are helping and going to he right place, but let me tell you, you are wrong! Let me also tell you there are children being abused there and CPS will DO NOTHING because of the working relationship they have with The Harbor. Let me also tell you that recently a staff member stole $15,000 in gift cards that were donated for the children. I feel that this organization needs NEW leadership ASAP. The executive director of this organization make $150,000 a year and the children are being sent to school without socks, underwear, decent shoes, unfed, dirty clothes...it is disgusting! The children were served spoiled milk for lunch and were forced to attend a school that had absolutely DISGUSTING restroom facilities! No soap, toilet paper, paper towels and then told there were cameras in the restrooms! Some of the histories of these children make them uncomfortable thinking that the grown man who told them this is watching them go to the restroom! Just stomach turning knowing what is going on back there at, some like to refer to as, "Peyton's Place." Let's not let these people get away with taking advantage of the good folks of the community who are helping and care!
These things need to be reported to the Press (try Wayne Dolcefino) and the authorities. Try local police. There is an obligation to report child abuse and certainly corruption in a non profit institution for the benefit of children.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#5 Sep 4, 2010
Believe it or not I have called every media reporter from here to Austin, local papers and news stations! I do believe that this last incident will shed light on this despicable place. It saddens me greatly that it's the money that will draw attention, not the child abuse! And will you also believe there are no laws that I have found or "overseeing" agency for non-profits, the ones that I have found are for locked facilities and The Harbor is not. I am aware that you must report child abuse but when I did, like I said it was not handled appropriately. I was directed to this forum by a friend in hopes that enough people can be made aware and changes can be made ASAP!!!
supporter

Pasadena, TX

#6 Sep 4, 2010
sounds like a disgruntled employee to me. Perhaps from their onsite school? I have known many kids who went through the Harbor and were loved and taken care of to the point they didn't want to leave. The state routinely inspects the premises. Why are you being evil? If your accusations are true, do something about it other than starting lies, gossip, slander, and libel on here. I, for one, will continue to support this organization until I see proof of what you are spreading and to tell you the truth would probably STILL support them because children shouldn't suffer from adult mistakes if this is even true. And if an employee did steal from the kids, it's unfortunate, but it happens in todays world in MANY worksites and organizations.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#7 Sep 4, 2010
How often are you there? And I would never work for The Harbor, and their employees are dropping! I am not worried, it will all come to light and I am glad!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#8 Sep 4, 2010
I beg that everyone continue to support the children, all I am saying is that they need new leadership. I too will continue to support them as well, I just know that new leadership can help this organization be what I know it used to be.

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

#9 Sep 4, 2010
LP Energy wrote:
Maybe this is where all the energy that is wasted on this forum should focus.
Anything to take the heat off the City, huh?
KellyM

La Porte, TX

#10 Sep 4, 2010
supporter wrote:
sounds like a disgruntled employee to me. Perhaps from their onsite school? I have known many kids who went through the Harbor and were loved and taken care of to the point they didn't want to leave. The state routinely inspects the premises. Why are you being evil? If your accusations are true, do something about it other than starting lies, gossip, slander, and libel on here. I, for one, will continue to support this organization until I see proof of what you are spreading and to tell you the truth would probably STILL support them because children shouldn't suffer from adult mistakes if this is even true. And if an employee did steal from the kids, it's unfortunate, but it happens in todays world in MANY worksites and organizations.
Don't say you will support something until you know all the facts. What if this is the truth? I remember things going on in the harbor in the past when all lived in the big house across the street. Everything was kept hush hush.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#11 Sep 5, 2010
Thank you Kelly!
Anonymous

San Antonio, TX

#12 Sep 5, 2010
What happened to the employee who stole $15,000 in gift cards? Was the law called? Did they get fired? Are they still working at the harbor?
This is so sad

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#13 Sep 5, 2010
They were fired on monday and charges are pending! They grew up at the Harbor themselves because their mother worked there when he was a child, and now their siblings work there as well. The only way this sort of stuff will change is if people start asking more questions and new leadership is brought about. The Chairman of the board was made aware of all my previous allegations, and let me tell you nothing changed.

I have absolutely no reason to make this stuff up, and nor would I. The cottage parents have no support or any kind of counseling/parenting classes and then they are expected to take of these children and all of their baggage. I can say there are people there who care, but I can also say the opposite. They really think that they can get aways with stuff, because they have. As far as routine inspections made on the place, uh, that's news to me. You can just walk into the cafeteria and see the filth on the floor, chairs, kitchen and rotting donated food. The food they serve is horrible. They are not regulated by the state as far was what they can serve, is it balanced/healthy for the kids. I know for myself what goes on, and I know that this will change, because I will not give up and I will continue calling and emailing everyone I can!
kellys question

Pasadena, TX

#14 Sep 5, 2010
Send your story to Wayne Dolcefino care of this email: KTRK.News.releases@ABC.com <KTRK.News.releases@ABC.com >

put: Attn: Wayne Dolcefino, re: suspected child abuse at public orphanage, in the subject line.

Take some time to compose your complaint, removing emotion, and list only the problems you can attest to personally.

Good luck!
SHH HUSH wrote:
They were fired on monday and charges are pending! They grew up at the Harbor themselves because their mother worked there when he was a child, and now their siblings work there as well. The only way this sort of stuff will change is if people start asking more questions and new leadership is brought about. The Chairman of the board was made aware of all my previous allegations, and let me tell you nothing changed.
I have absolutely no reason to make this stuff up, and nor would I. The cottage parents have no support or any kind of counseling/parenting classes and then they are expected to take of these children and all of their baggage. I can say there are people there who care, but I can also say the opposite. They really think that they can get aways with stuff, because they have. As far as routine inspections made on the place, uh, that's news to me. You can just walk into the cafeteria and see the filth on the floor, chairs, kitchen and rotting donated food. The food they serve is horrible. They are not regulated by the state as far was what they can serve, is it balanced/healthy for the kids. I know for myself what goes on, and I know that this will change, because I will not give up and I will continue calling and emailing everyone I can!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#15 Sep 5, 2010
Thank you!
LP Energy

Deer Park, TX

#16 Sep 5, 2010
Heavy Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything to take the heat off the City, huh?
good one..ha ha ha ha whatever

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

#17 Sep 5, 2010
LP Energy wrote:
<quoted text>
good one..ha ha ha ha whatever
Funny... but true.
supporter

Pasadena, TX

#18 Sep 5, 2010
All inspections are available online and the employees are required to take PLENTY of training each year per state guidelines. And YES, it IS regulated! And NO - it is NOT an orphanage. Speak the truth or SHH HUSH yourself.
Susan

Pasadena, TX

#19 Sep 5, 2010
I find it hard to believe that in the two years since my husband and I moved from the Harbor that all these things have occurred. If there are actual concerns about the children, then you need to talk to the social services director on the La Porte campus of Boys and Girls Harbor. And I feel certain that if any of your allegations are true, changes will be made ASAP. We worked at the Harbor as Cottage Parents for over 10 years, and the only time there were ever any problems, the Cottage Parents were removed immediately.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#20 Sep 5, 2010
supporter wrote:
All inspections are available online and the employees are required to take PLENTY of training each year per state guidelines. And YES, it IS regulated! And NO - it is NOT an orphanage. Speak the truth or SHH HUSH yourself.
No they don't classes. you should get your facts straight before you talk about things you have no clue about what you are speaking of. I would never make those things up and if they were getting classes they would have no reason to say they were. And I will not SHH HUSH myself because I know what I saw.

This will be brought light, I am not worried!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Porte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
merry chistmas to everyone!! 4 hr fubar 5
Fed and the White (power?) Movement 9 hr SamDamnit 26
Heavy Fed the song (May '14) 9 hr SamDamnit 179
What makes you a racist? 11 hr dang 90
Y'all leave poor Fubar alone! 13 hr Lomaxx 7
Fubar's new name is Granny Panties. Thu Elaine 16
LaPorte Post Office Thu fubar 20

La Porte News Video

La Porte Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

La Porte People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

La Porte News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in La Porte

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 pm PST

NBC Sports 4:00PM
Rookie Martin makes quick impression in Dallas - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:15 PM
What Experts Are Saying About Washington
Bleacher Report12:22 AM
Cowboys' Week 17 Preview vs. Redskins
NBC Sports 4:11 AM
Andre Johnson "doesn't mind" a pay cut to stay with Texans
NFL 4:28 AM
Andre Johnson open to pay cut to stay with Texans