Question for local old timers

Question for local old timers

Posted in the La Porte Forum

New Comer

Pasadena, TX

#1 May 8, 2012
Does anyone know the history of a park with a heated swimming pool around sens rd. and strang rd.? You can still see where an old ball park was on sens rd, and a company recently bought a piece of property between dupont and millennium, on strang rd, on the water. They call this area of water, the usi canal. Which also leads me to another question. Does anyone know why they call it the usi canal? The property now owned is next to an area of woods, around 11 acres. You can still see the remains of an old wooden bulkhead in the water, along the banks of this property. while the area was being cleared, i walked in the woods for a peek, there i found an old swimming pool that had been filled in with dirt. A side walk was still intact, leading to what i want to say was a childs pool, also filled in with dirt. I also found what looked like old equipment to heat the pool. This pool still had parts of an old chain link fence around it. I tried to date the pool by the fence, i want to say it was built around the 40's. I'm scratching my head, thinking, would a public pool be heated or, was it owned by a private resident. I read the historic markers around town, and it seems this was an area for the wealthy to live. Does anyone have any information on this area or know where i could find out more history on this?
dupont

Houston, TX

#2 May 8, 2012
New Comer wrote:
Does anyone know the history of a park with a heated swimming pool around sens rd. and strang rd.? You can still see where an old ball park was on sens rd, and a company recently bought a piece of property between dupont and millennium, on strang rd, on the water. They call this area of water, the usi canal. Which also leads me to another question. Does anyone know why they call it the usi canal? The property now owned is next to an area of woods, around 11 acres. You can still see the remains of an old wooden bulkhead in the water, along the banks of this property. while the area was being cleared, i walked in the woods for a peek, there i found an old swimming pool that had been filled in with dirt. A side walk was still intact, leading to what i want to say was a childs pool, also filled in with dirt. I also found what looked like old equipment to heat the pool. This pool still had parts of an old chain link fence around it. I tried to date the pool by the fence, i want to say it was built around the 40's. I'm scratching my head, thinking, would a public pool be heated or, was it owned by a private resident. I read the historic markers around town, and it seems this was an area for the wealthy to live. Does anyone have any information on this area or know where i could find out more history on this?
Not real familiar but I do know that there was residential neighborhood back there.
Reasonable

Spring, TX

#3 May 8, 2012
I know for a fact that someone or some company just tore down a house that was sitting on the south side of strang road on the corner of sens and strang. That house was just torn down about a year ago or less. Use to have vehicles there then one day they were gone and about six months later the house was nothing but a pile.

USI was a company on Miller cut off.....they use to own a lot of that property from west of miller cut off and a long ways down strang. USI sold out to Quatum who sold out to someone else.

There were also other house in that area beause you can still see the old slabs.

Since: Feb 12

Houston, TX

#4 May 8, 2012
Cool post OP. Need more of these.
dupont

Houston, TX

#5 May 8, 2012
Reasonable wrote:
I know for a fact that someone or some company just tore down a house that was sitting on the south side of strang road on the corner of sens and strang. That house was just torn down about a year ago or less. Use to have vehicles there then one day they were gone and about six months later the house was nothing but a pile.
USI was a company on Miller cut off.....they use to own a lot of that property from west of miller cut off and a long ways down strang. USI sold out to Quatum who sold out to someone else.
There were also other house in that area beause you can still see the old slabs.
Yes that is true, it actually caught on fire and after the fire, it was demolished. There was people living there, I wanna say up until this decade?? I have always wondered myself what is what living there and who and how many.
dupont

Houston, TX

#6 May 8, 2012
The area I mean.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#7 May 8, 2012
I do know that the Hershbergers lived in that area maybe Richard Florance may know as he lived on SanJacinto Bay. Cleo Davison may know as they lived on Strang Rd. and sold to Du Pont. These are just ideas and I will think about this.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#8 May 8, 2012
Call Ann Malone with the Heritage Society as she may have some documentation in the heritage collection at the museum.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#9 May 8, 2012
Check with Fred Mustin as he is associated with the Heritage Society and he worked for USI.
new comer

Pasadena, TX

#10 May 10, 2012
before I contact people that I don't know, just thought I would give this thread one more opportunity to rise to the top to see if any of the readers had more to contribute. Thanks
LOMAXER

La Porte, TX

#11 May 15, 2012
Not sure that this will help you with your search, but it has helped me in the past when dealing with local history.

Open Google Earth. locate the property you are looking for, then at the top of your screen you will see a "button" that looks like a clock. Click on that button, and it will open up "timeline" You can look at arial photos of La Porte back into the 40's all the way the present time

Since: Feb 12

Houston, TX

#12 May 15, 2012
LOMAXER wrote:
Not sure that this will help you with your search, but it has helped me in the past when dealing with local history.
Open Google Earth. locate the property you are looking for, then at the top of your screen you will see a "button" that looks like a clock. Click on that button, and it will open up "timeline" You can look at arial photos of La Porte back into the 40's all the way the present time
Not seeing the button that looks like a "clock". Suggestions?
new comer

Pasadena, TX

#13 May 15, 2012
RBCheney wrote:
<quoted text>
Not seeing the button that looks like a "clock". Suggestions?
@Lomaxer - thanks for the Google Timeline tip - good to know

@RBCheney - the clock is in the middle of the tab bar up top, it has a big blue arrow wrapped around it.

Unfortunately the timeline for the area in question only goes back to 1978 to some grainy black and whites, not really able to tell much.
Lomaxx

Houston, TX

#14 May 15, 2012
DuPont has always owned the baseball field for employees and maintained it until interest in teams faded over the years. They have 750+ acres out there bought after WWII. The company they bought from built concrete barges there during the war. DuPont started building there in 1947. The bay side was once larger homes for the most part.
homer

Dallas, TX

#15 May 15, 2012
On the corner of Sens and Strang was the Ross Kelly Homestead.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#16 May 15, 2012
Dave Thommason lived on Strang Road close to Sens. Dave is dead now, however his wife is still alive and may be able to shed light.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#17 May 15, 2012
Does Dupont have any kind of recorded history of the LaPorte plant with who owned the property where the plant is located? I remember Mueller Machine shop on the road to the tunnel close to SanJacinto Bay. Just rambling on with my thoughts and memories.
Curious on the HIstory

Houston, TX

#18 May 17, 2012
Please post what you find out if you have to research away from this post to get information.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Porte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 16 hr InPhartx 1,129
Job Sat Truth is might 99
WHERE is Charles Gilliam? Feb 22 Elaine 4
Trump Is Doing a Good Job Feb 22 red dawn 10
News Video figures into appeal of convicted murderer... (Aug '08) Feb 22 SamTex 145
Hey Trump Stumps...Vacation Costs Reach $10 Mil... Feb 21 Defiant1 9
Hey, Crybaby Liberals... Feb 20 Texan 18

La Porte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Porte Mortgages