Seen it too

Houston, TX

#21 Apr 11, 2013
Want my town back wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
We eat there several times a week and i have never seen him act that way. He has always been exceptionally nice, except the time he tricked me into eating mountain oysters......
I will continue to be a regular customer.
we've witnessed him throw people out too for a complaint. He is scary.
LaPorte LAdy

La Porte, TX

#22 Apr 11, 2013
We have been a handful of times. The food is good, but the service is la king. I have received good service, but most of the time that isn't the case. I have two young children so prompt service makes a difference. The owner has always been friendly even giving us a free appetizer one time for no reason, I really wish the service was better because that is the main complaint I hear from people. Gringos is always packed and still maintains good service. I am not trying to complain Just writing this in hopes the owner might see it and make some changes so we can start going again.
oh no you dont

Pasadena, TX

#24 Apr 12, 2013
Want my town back wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
We eat there several times a week and i have never seen him act that way. He has always been exceptionally nice, except the time he tricked me into eating mountain oysters......
I will continue to be a regular customer.
I was there when that went down. It sure seemed like you knew what you were digging into. You enjoyed it, too.
kirby

United States

#25 Apr 12, 2013
My guess they will make it on strength of food, but big boy will never be smart enough to make all he could because he thinks it is normal. Unfofunately, bad service is new normal.

Where there is smoke.... Eventually, if what they say is true he will hurt some one and get sued out of business.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#26 May 1, 2013
My family and I have been there at least 20 times. We like the variety of food and the prices are not bad. Food quality is above average to great, all depending on what you get. Beer is always cold. Now I will agree with you that the service is average to sometimes poor, I wouldn't call it bad and I wouldn’t call it great, just needs some TLC. I have never seen the owner get mad, but then again, it is HIS place of business, and he has the right to refuse service to ANYONE for ANY reason. If I had someone making a stink about something, I would ask them to leave too; you don't want that one table turning into a bunch of bad tables. One table could be making a big deal out of nothing and then others might join in. All restaurants make mistakes, after all, the cooks are human and they are preparing multiple orders at one time. I have never worked in the restaurant industry, but I understand the stress they must go through, so I try to give them a chance to fix the problem. Blowing up and making a scene is NOT the way to handle it. If my information is correct, servers are still making ONLY $2.13 an hour, which it has been at that rate for many years. You can bet that the last thing they want is an angry customer, because that means their tip is going to be horrible.

Just my two cents worth.
Cliff

Deer Park, TX

#27 May 1, 2013
airyoucantaste wrote:
My family and I have been there at least 20 times. We like the variety of food and the prices are not bad. Food quality is above average to great, all depending on what you get. Beer is always cold. Now I will agree with you that the service is average to sometimes poor, I wouldn't call it bad and I wouldn’t call it great, just needs some TLC. I have never seen the owner get mad, but then again, it is HIS place of business, and he has the right to refuse service to ANYONE for ANY reason. If I had someone making a stink about something, I would ask them to leave too; you don't want that one table turning into a bunch of bad tables. One table could be making a big deal out of nothing and then others might join in. All restaurants make mistakes, after all, the cooks are human and they are preparing multiple orders at one time. I have never worked in the restaurant industry, but I understand the stress they must go through, so I try to give them a chance to fix the problem. Blowing up and making a scene is NOT the way to handle it. If my information is correct, servers are still making ONLY $2.13 an hour, which it has been at that rate for many years. You can bet that the last thing they want is an angry customer, because that means their tip is going to be horrible.
Just my two cents worth.
Sorry, I don't accept the new normal. Bad customer service isn't acceptable. It may be slowly becoming the norm, but I refuse to accept that.

For most normal folks, going out to eat is a treat. I won't go any place with bad service, period!

It is laziness or hubris to assume that people will accept bad service.

Food is good, hard to defend bad service and the service is bad eventually, keep going.

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

#28 May 1, 2013
airyoucantaste wrote:
I have never seen the owner get mad, but then again, it is HIS place of business, and he has the right to refuse service to ANYONE for ANY reason.
You're wrong about that... he can't refuse service to ANYONE for ANY reason.

He CAN refuse service to SOME people for SOME reasons... but refusing service to SOME people for SOME reasons can also get him sued.

Texan

Falls Church, VA

#29 May 2, 2013
Service Cop! He CAN refuse sevice to you for that filthy tshirt and shorts. Take a bath Fed.
LP Res

La Porte, TX

#30 May 2, 2013
A business owner can refuse service it anyone. It might get his establishment exposure, good or bad. Sad but true, customer service is a thing of the past. Too many businesses take the attitude of if you don't like it leave. Maybe the food at this place is good and maybe the service is poor, but one thing is probably true......how many people have gone in since the conversation started just to see what happens. Free publicity.

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

#31 May 2, 2013
LP Res wrote:
A business owner can refuse service it anyone.
Yes, they CAN refuse service to anyone... but if they refuse service to SOME people for SOME reasons... they will find themselves being sued, like I said.

Just ask the people at a certain burger establishment here in California... who refused service because I had my service dog with me.

Just let any business owner refuse service to someone because they are black, Jewish... or even just because they are white.

When someone tells me I can't do something I want to do... I like to show them that I can.

That's why when someone says that I will never be mayor of La Porte... it just adds fuel to my fire to prove them wrong... and I will... sooner or later.

Bet that.

www.HeavyFed.com
Texan

Falls Church, VA

#32 May 2, 2013
YOU WILL NEVER BE MAYOR OF LA PORTE! NEVER! BET THAT!

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

#33 May 2, 2013
Texan wrote:
YOU WILL NEVER BE MAYOR OF LA PORTE! NEVER! BET THAT!
You don't know me... you've never met me... you've never even been to La Porte.

Your uninformed opinion means squat... just like the rest of your life.

You failed to let a teacher properly educate you... you have failed to educate yourself... you are a failure.
Texan

Falls Church, VA

#34 May 3, 2013
You are still wrong, while I have never met you, I have been to La Porte several times. If I squat, it will be over your head. I also have never failed at anything that was important to me, that includes education and a good job. No living under a bridge, somking dope, and doing who knows what to a dog. You are the failure, the biggest failure in fact.

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

#35 May 3, 2013
Texan wrote:
You are still wrong, while I have never met you, I have been to La Porte several times. If I squat, it will be over your head. I also have never failed at anything that was important to me, that includes education and a good job. No living under a bridge, somking dope, and doing who knows what to a dog. You are the failure, the biggest failure in fact.
Lame... as usual.
Texan

Falls Church, VA

#36 May 3, 2013
Lame, isn't that kind of like your mind?
Elizabeth James

Pasadena, TX

#37 Jun 19, 2013
Putting my name out there. I worked at southern Komfort kitchen for a year and not once did I see Dwayne throw summer or for a bad reason. The first couple I saw him throw out the a four because the server took the cool to the back to full it. Sort but that happens on occasion. If we run out of pitchers would you rather me leave your drunk empty while I wait for one or do you want a drink now? That don't make sense and Dwayne doesn't put up with people talking shit to his employees.
The second and last time he threw people out was a family whip bitched about not getting bread because we ran out. Sorry but bread is complementary and of we run out then we are out. Don't cuss out your server, then the manager, then ms Becky, Dwayne wide and co owner and expect to stay. He asked them to leave first and they refused so he demanded they leave. They still refused and continued to talk sit to Dwayne so if course he got mad. As a previous piece officer and owner of the restaurant he reserves the right to physically remove someone if need be and these people were super assholes. As they were leaving a kid threw our special sign and hit Dwayne niece in the back of the head after hitting Dwayne in the face with it. I would try to fight someone too so I don't believe he was in the wrong. So before you bash the owner get the f@#+ing facts.
I loved my job there and I left for my own personal reasons. I'll admit some if my co workers weren't the best at their job but they tried Damn hard to please people that just weren't going to be happy.
Servers do make 2.13 an hour. We live off of your tips. If you tip 15% then we're only getting 11% of that. Say we make 100 dollars in typos. We tip out 4% of our sales, not out tips, to the bussers. If we don't get anything then we are paying on your food. Think about that when you go easy because some of us have kids and it's your fault we can't afford things. Unless we are just downright terrible. If you don't like the service then let your server know what they can do better rather than come bash them on a review of the restaurant. We servers need some criticism at times so we can improve your experience at that establishment.
ghr

Houston, TX

#38 Jun 19, 2013
Being a former cop does not give you right to put hands on some one. Sorry.

Business owner should call police. Put your hands on some one you open yourself to liability. Deto.
Elizabeth James is wrong

Houston, TX

#39 Jun 19, 2013
Your premise that it is the fault of bad tippers that you can't afford certain things is absurd. You sound like a democrat (cough, cough).

White people often tip even when the service was bad. Blacks almost always leave bad tips. If people did reward bad service, bad servers would get out of the business.

I suggest that if someone doesn't feel they have the things they deserve in life, they should take some classes at San Jac. You can't take all online classes and get student loans and grants to do it. Then you can go work in a office and make more money.

Don't blame it on others. That is a cop out.

And I have waited tables, I do know what I am saying. And I have gotten multiple certificates and an associates while working full-time with small children at home. So, I don't want to hear the whining.
Joani

La Porte, TX

#40 Jun 19, 2013
Elizabeth James wrote:
Putting my name out there. I worked at southern Komfort kitchen for a year and not once did I see Dwayne throw summer or for a bad reason. The first couple I saw him throw out the a four because the server took the cool to the back to full it. Sort but that happens on occasion. If we run out of pitchers would you rather me leave your drunk empty while I wait for one or do you want a drink now? That don't make sense and Dwayne doesn't put up with people talking shit to his employees.
The second and last time he threw people out was a family whip bitched about not getting bread because we ran out. Sorry but bread is complementary and of we run out then we are out. Don't cuss out your server, then the manager, then ms Becky, Dwayne wide and co owner and expect to stay. He asked them to leave first and they refused so he demanded they leave. They still refused and continued to talk sit to Dwayne so if course he got mad. As a previous piece officer and owner of the restaurant he reserves the right to physically remove someone if need be and these people were super assholes. As they were leaving a kid threw our special sign and hit Dwayne niece in the back of the head after hitting Dwayne in the face with it. I would try to fight someone too so I don't believe he was in the wrong. So before you bash the owner get the f@#+ing facts.
I loved my job there and I left for my own personal reasons. I'll admit some if my co workers weren't the best at their job but they tried Damn hard to please people that just weren't going to be happy.
Servers do make 2.13 an hour. We live off of your tips. If you tip 15% then we're only getting 11% of that. Say we make 100 dollars in typos. We tip out 4% of our sales, not out tips, to the bussers. If we don't get anything then we are paying on your food. Think about that when you go easy because some of us have kids and it's your fault we can't afford things. Unless we are just downright terrible. If you don't like the service then let your server know what they can do better rather than come bash them on a review of the restaurant. We servers need some criticism at times so we can improve your experience at that establishment.
Learn to spell please. It was distracting from your message. JMO
LP Res

La Porte, TX

#41 Jun 19, 2013
I have not eaten here since it was Cornbreads. My comment is on service, I would not recommend telling a server they are doing a poor Jo until your meal is done and you are heading out. In this day and age you will get more than you asked or in your meal. I have always used the formula my tipping starts at 15% and the server can make it go up or down by the service I receive. You were trained to do your job, if you are unhappy in that job, take measures to get a different one.in the mean time do yourself proud and be the best at the job you have. You will be rewarded for a job well done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Porte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
O'Reilly and Ramos 32 min Defiant1 2
Okra Mistaken For POT! Unpossible! 1 hr Heavy Fed 6
Obamacare Cover-Up 5 hr Elaine 21
Topix blocks the honest truth! 5 hr Elaine 24
When the illegals steal your job..... 9 hr Elaine 1
Edited by Topix 14 hr Heavy Fed 7
Texas stress. Thu Elaine 2

La Porte News Video

La Porte Dating
Find my Match

La Porte People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

La Porte News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in La Porte

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:57 am PST

NBC Sports 6:57AM
Dez Bryant: We didn't work hard enough during 8-8 seasons
NFL 7:00 AM
Can DeMarco Murray survive 400 carries?
NBC Sports10:35 AM
Simplify the Game: Short week not doing Dallas favors
Bleacher Report 3:16 PM
5 New York Giants Players to Watch vs. the Dallas Cowboys
NBC Sports 4:21 PM
PFT previews SNF: Giants-Cowboys