Norwalk-La Mirada selects N.C. educat...

Norwalk-La Mirada selects N.C. educator as new superintendent

There are 25 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Norwalk-La Mirada selects N.C. educator as new superintendent. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

A North Carolina educator was named superintendent on a 6-1 vote Monday by the Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District Board of Education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
I dont Agree

Downey, CA

#1 Apr 28, 2009
Work all those years with the district and can't get the promotion to super wow. going to watching her closely. i'm shocked and disappointed also
Miles Riemersma

Burlington, Canada

#2 Apr 28, 2009
Very nice
I do agree

Burlington, Canada

#3 Apr 28, 2009
I dont Agree wrote:
Work all those years with the district and can't get the promotion to super wow. going to watching her closely. i'm shocked and disappointed also
Well I do agree... she is a wonderfull woman and educator.. noone deserves this job more than her!
Watch her all you want... you might learn something!
NLMUSD

San Francisco, CA

#4 Apr 28, 2009
senority does not me anything these days...

I hope that they based their decision on the qualifications.
I dont Agree wrote:
La Mirada Parent

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Apr 28, 2009
The board is to be commended with their selection of Dr. Perez. As a mother of 3, I attended the forum, and she, by far, had the best credentials and passion for the job.
Although the internal candidate was also highly qualified and almost as passionate, no new ideas were suggested. The answer to many difficult questions were, "I think we should be doing the same things we're doing today. They're working." The district has problems and no fixes or changes were suggested whereas Ruth Perez was passionate and very specific about necessary changes.
District Employee

Norwalk, CA

#6 Apr 28, 2009
Chris Forehan is one of those gifted people who has vision, extreme people skills, and makes everyone feel like he thinks the world of them. He would have been a terrific leader and visionary for the district. I'm sure Dr. Perez will do a great job, but people here adore Chris and would have been so pleased had he been chosen. He really knows his stuff and has a personal interest in this district. too bad.
ABC

Long Beach, CA

#7 Apr 28, 2009
The district NEEDS to change.

Dr. Perez has a vision and new ideas.

They need to make a clone of Linda Granillo - the principal at Glenn and transport her managment over to Norwalk High School. Visit both campuses and you will see the difference. Look at the past eight years scores and you will also see the difference.

WELL DONE NLMUSD Board of Education!!! Thank You!!
getreal

Murrieta, CA

#8 Apr 28, 2009
What does Linda Granillo have anything to do with the information regarding the new superintendent? It is definitely a shame that a passionate, professional person of integrity, such as Chris Forehan, was not given the opportunity to show his stuff. He has long been in the shadows of the current (outgoing) superintendent, and I believe that once she is gone, we could see great things of Chris. I also believe it was inappropriate, to say the least, that Ginger Shattuck sat in on the forum. Although she might not have influenced the decision of the board, it gave the appearance that she had some say in the matter.
ABC

Long Beach, CA

#9 Apr 28, 2009
Yo - getreal

Forehan - was given his chance and he failed. It is time WE as a district and HE move on.

Under Shattuck - the district was divided into three different "kingdoms." Each "kingdom" was assigned to a different Ass-Sup according to high school and feeder schools.

For the unfortuante students within Mr Forehan's "kingdom" the schools have consistantly under performed - beginning with Norwalk High School.

Overall - the schools with the greatest percentage growth have been those within the "kingdom" of Ass-Sup Mr. McConnell - which is Glenn -( the past "whipping boy campus" of the district.) Even before Mr. McConnel came on the scene Linda Granillo (originally LaMirada Ass-Princ) had already taken the reins of an out of control stampeding campus and trasformed it into a California story of success. The testing score growth is a model that should be emulated.

With the new superintendent's background - it is hoped that bi-lingual education will once again rise to the fore-front within a district that was once at the cutting edge ...(before importing pretty, blond Norwegians from out of state to teach local teachers how to teach bi-lingual in Southern California.)

Some things have worked well in NLMUS - not all is failure.

The district made the right choice on this one. We NEED change....in some areas that are not working...and the district could not fix. Mr. Forehan - is a nice guy - but he does not keep up with READING the current literature and he will tell you this himself!
Employee of district

AOL

#10 May 3, 2009
The change will be good. Several awesome people have left the distict because Shattuck favored certain people and treated the others like dirt. If you were a man, you had it made wit this woman. If you are a smart woman, good luck!
Perez

Sun City, CA

#11 May 9, 2009
Interesting comment - Employee of district

It has been a common belief that Ginger's vision for the district was relected in her business card of the past decade...

A profile of a woman -(a mature maternal one resembling Ms. S) repeated five times - an icon - for five females - one at each of the high schools -(Excelsior included) with a common philosophy. She came close but never saw this fulfilled.

The new district logo has a more ominous subliminal message ... a male child with:
A bandolier across his chest
A knife stabbing forward
A Karate Chop being delivered overhead

Let us hope that the new incoming Perez - is NOT related to a previous board member with family ties of the last name. Those were "evil years" within the district.
LM DaD

AOL

#12 May 10, 2009
Pretty blond Norwegians???!!!! Where???!!!!
ABC wrote:
Yo - getreal
Forehan - was given his chance and he failed. It is time WE as a district and HE move on.
Under Shattuck - the district was divided into three different "kingdoms." Each "kingdom" was assigned to a different Ass-Sup according to high school and feeder schools.
For the unfortuante students within Mr Forehan's "kingdom" the schools have consistantly under performed - beginning with Norwalk High School.
Overall - the schools with the greatest percentage growth have been those within the "kingdom" of Ass-Sup Mr. McConnell - which is Glenn -( the past "whipping boy campus" of the district.) Even before Mr. McConnel came on the scene Linda Granillo (originally LaMirada Ass-Princ) had already taken the reins of an out of control stampeding campus and trasformed it into a California story of success. The testing score growth is a model that should be emulated.
With the new superintendent's background - it is hoped that bi-lingual education will once again rise to the fore-front within a district that was once at the cutting edge ...(before importing pretty, blond Norwegians from out of state to teach local teachers how to teach bi-lingual in Southern California.)
Some things have worked well in NLMUS - not all is failure.
The district made the right choice on this one. We NEED change....in some areas that are not working...and the district could not fix. Mr. Forehan - is a nice guy - but he does not keep up with READING the current literature and he will tell you this himself!
really now

Los Angeles, CA

#15 May 10, 2009
redneck88 wrote:
Oh never mind. I should of read the whole article first. The new superintendent is a woman mexican liberal from NC. I would bet in about 2 years 85% or more of the children in Norwalk schools will be illiegal aliens. What a sad joke.
Oooooooh be careful my redneck friend, those mexicans are coming to get your job, your daughter and your hood (read as sarcasm)! Can't really blame you for being scared, you're just trying to hold on to what your forefathers rightfully stole from the American Indians. Get your grandpa's white sheet ready, you may need to show these brown skins a thing or two. By the way how ironic, your grandfather hid his racism behind a sheet and you hide yours behind the internet. You're really the joke you sad little punk.
Classified

Norwalk, CA

#16 May 11, 2009
ABC wrote:
Yo - getreal
Actually, Norwalk HS is under the "kingdom" of Dr. McConnell as is LMHS and JGHS.
lm mom

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Jun 18, 2009
I've been waiting years and years for them to get rid of Shattuck. she was over paid, had a huge clothing and car allowance. we are struggling here in our district. I hope that this new person does a really great job. I also hope that she's not making anywhere near what GS was, and no allowances for anything else. We all have to get by w/what we earn. She needs to, too. and it could save our dist alot of money!
ABC

Long Beach, CA

#18 Jun 19, 2009
It was a sad day at the schools yesterday.

Many new teachers were packing up and leaving never to be seen again.

Fortunately, they were the "unreal" or "sort of a" teachers. They were the ones who were granted "special" certifications through the NLMUSD district office - without becoming REAL California Credentialed teachers.

Coaching staff are impacted.

There is still LOTS of waste. Too many "Teacher's on Special Assignment" and "BITSA coaches" and "fascilitators" and "Release Time Wavers" and "Consultants on Contract" and "Literacy Coaches," out of state "Traiining Institutes."

Those are a few of the "funky monkey" programs that were developed when the state was flush with cash.

It is time flush them down the drain.
LM DaD

AOL

#19 Jun 22, 2009
You are soooo right! Those literacy coaches should go back in the classroom. What a waste of money they've been.
ABC wrote:
It was a sad day at the schools yesterday.
Many new teachers were packing up and leaving never to be seen again.
Fortunately, they were the "unreal" or "sort of a" teachers. They were the ones who were granted "special" certifications through the NLMUSD district office - without becoming REAL California Credentialed teachers.
Coaching staff are impacted.
There is still LOTS of waste. Too many "Teacher's on Special Assignment" and "BITSA coaches" and "fascilitators" and "Release Time Wavers" and "Consultants on Contract" and "Literacy Coaches," out of state "Traiining Institutes."
Those are a few of the "funky monkey" programs that were developed when the state was flush with cash.
It is time flush them down the drain.
oh-boy

United States

#20 Jun 23, 2009
lm mom wrote:
I've been waiting years and years for them to get rid of Shattuck. she was over paid, had a huge clothing and car allowance. we are struggling here in our district. I hope that this new person does a really great job. I also hope that she's not making anywhere near what GS was, and no allowances for anything else. We all have to get by w/what we earn. She needs to, too. and it could save our dist alot of money!
Yes, it was time for change...however, the new superintendent will probably get paid more then Ginger. The info. will be announced in July. With budget cuts/crisis, the board was not looking out for the best interest of students but their own agenda for political gain. It is a school board election year. I would have preferred having Chris Forehan as superintendent (although I do not always agree with his style) because of his history with the district, dedication and during this time of budget cuts it is always best to stay with the known. Drastic changes during critical times is a gamble we really cannot afford to take. I wish Dr. Ruth Perez the best!
LM Mom

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Jun 26, 2009
well, they sent out letters to employees this week about possibly having to lower the pay-and it was from Shattuck. Saying that it may be necessary because there are such cuts from the state-I'm sorry, but, I do totally feel that they need to cut at the top! There is no reason they have to have so much money when all of the people doing the REAL work are going to have to give up some, when its barely enough to live on.
Ruth Perez should NOT be getting what Shattuck was getting. Especially the allowances! WE are in desperate need of someone that can keep a little money in the district, what they can cut off her and other highest paid people..will keep the lower paid people here working!!!!!!!!!
a teacher

United States

#22 Jun 27, 2009
LM Mom wrote:
well, they sent out letters to employees this week about possibly having to lower the pay-and it was from Shattuck. Saying that it may be necessary because there are such cuts from the state-I'm sorry, but, I do totally feel that they need to cut at the top! There is no reason they have to have so much money when all of the people doing the REAL work are going to have to give up some, when its barely enough to live on.
Ruth Perez should NOT be getting what Shattuck was getting. Especially the allowances! WE are in desperate need of someone that can keep a little money in the district, what they can cut off her and other highest paid people..will keep the lower paid people here working!!!!!!!!!
Blame the school board they are responsibly for either making bad decisions or for not doing anything at all. Bottom line is that the district will want to keep things as is while others foot the bill. The stimulus money will be manipulated according to the district's status quo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Mirada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 2 hr LMSA 9,139
Lost confidence in Molinari 3 hr Truth matters 5
City Of Montebello's Notice Of Change In Genera... 4 hr Truth matters 2
Montebello City Council -LEAD BY EXAMPLE 4 hr Truth matters 5
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 hr AindaPharrts 33,452
Montebello City Council Meeting 072617 10 hr Truth Matters 3
If your brains were half the size of your mouth... Wed Truth matters 18

La Mirada Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Mirada Mortgages