Chula Juana

Chula Vista, CA

#21 Jun 5, 2010
mari wrote:
ok, so i live on first street all the way down to broadway, and i hear the a train whistle sometimes when i stay up really late, i heard it about two hours ago tonight, but it wasnt coming from the direction of the trolley tracks, it was coming like from the other direction, like more east. a while back my friend told me she would hear a train every night and i would never believe her, but now i have no choice... trippy stuff.
There is a easy way to solve this issue......QUIT TWEEKING!!!
Chula Juana

Chula Vista, CA

#22 Jun 5, 2010
They should have a tweeker icon in the "Judge It" tab. If they did, I would give almost all of you it.
Joseph

San Diego, CA

#23 Jul 25, 2010
There is a real train that is operated by the San Diego Imperial Valley Railroad that runs every night along the trolley tracks when the trolley is not in service. It delivers freight from Downtown San Diego to El Cajon. I heard it once in La Mesa in 2002.
Joseph

San Diego, CA

#24 Jul 25, 2010
Here is the website of the San Diego Imperial Valley Railroad:http://www.railameric a.com/RailServices/SDIY.aspx
Rick

San Diego, CA

#25 Oct 2, 2010
Dude, I live in Spring Valley not even El Cajon and I hear a train running through here usually at about 1am - 3am, only sometimes though. And there aren't even any train tracks here. ANd my friend who lives in Imperial Beach hears a train also, she's the one who told me about it I didn't believe her till i started hearing the damn thing.
LenLen

Imperial Beach, CA

#26 Jan 28, 2011
I just heard it right now, googles it and came here. That's a loud horn it's almost 2 am!!

Smellin grove
your neighbor

Poway, CA

#27 Feb 18, 2011
mari wrote:
ok, so i live on first street all the way down to broadway, and i hear the a train whistle sometimes when i stay up really late, i heard it about two hours ago tonight, but it wasnt coming from the direction of the trolley tracks, it was coming like from the other direction, like more east. a while back my friend told me she would hear a train every night and i would never believe her, but now i have no choice... trippy stuff.
Tell them how you have a drinking problem. Haha u drunk.. I hear it when I work the night shift . There is semi trucks who install horns to sound like a locomotive. So idk haha ily mari
Pamela

Santee, CA

#28 Jun 1, 2011
There IS a train that goes through at night. A real train...not a ghost train. Not as exciting as a ghost train, sorry.
LOL

San Diego, CA

#29 Jun 2, 2011
yes, there is a real train. when i was little i used to cry i was so scared, but i started getting brave and looking out the window and yea, its a big train that goes by amaya and has to blow the horn because it goes across severin.
Courtney Rancho San Diego

Oceanside, CA

#30 Jun 28, 2011
Aimee wrote:
So I'm not crazy! I kept telling my husband I could hear a train whistle about 3am and wondered if there was a train that ran through La Mesa. He's lived in East County his whole life and didn't believe me. I'm glad to know other people hear it too!
ah im soooooo glad you hear it too. its super late at night and it freaks!!! me out. everyone eles thinks im crazy!!!!
chula choo choo

United States

#31 Jul 10, 2011
A freight train makes sense, does anyone know how far south it runs?
I know the amtrak stops in Downtown, but the train that I hear is all the way down near Hilltop High school in Chula Vista. Or at least it can be heard from there and the train runs some distance away.
Furrowcious

Santee, CA

#32 Aug 13, 2011
My wife and I heard the ghost train last night in Rancho San Diego. There are no tracks anywhere near us, but we heard it like it was outside our window. I decided it was just the train to Hogwarts, and we had a good laugh, but really, there is some crazy train running where there are no tracks in San Diego...

http://www.SendHopeToday.com
Vicksen

San Diego, CA

#33 Aug 25, 2011
I have hear that train aswell. I hear it every night at exactly 2am like if it was right outside my window. I live on Market st. near the trolley tracks were the orange line runs. And at that time there isnt any trolleys passing by specially any making that sound choo choo sound! Ghost train! anyone know any history of this train?
yadi

Folsom, CA

#34 Sep 24, 2011
chula choo choo wrote:
A freight train makes sense, does anyone know how far south it runs?
I know the amtrak stops in Downtown, but the train that I hear is all the way down near Hilltop High school in Chula Vista. Or at least it can be heard from there and the train runs some distance away.
When I was 7 I use to live off Main st in Chula Vista off of Date st and me and my twin sister shared a room. We were both up one night talking and all of a sudden we heard the train sound we thought nothing of it and kept talking. The sound only got louder and louder we both knew we lived no where near a train station. We were so scared we froze then all of a sudden a ghost train runs right into our window and go right through our closet. Me and my twin screamed so loud. My mom didnt believe us. Till this day i still tell that story which was 20 years ago.
Megan

San Francisco, CA

#35 Nov 2, 2011
I've heard a train whistle too, around 2-3am. I grew up in El Cajon and would hear it pretty consistently, whenever I stayed up late. I've never seen any freight trains in the area. The whistle also seems to be coming from the east, towards the old 94.
usnlmngrove

San Diego, CA

#36 Dec 31, 2011
I hear it @ the same time @ night, 2am. I live in lemon grove off of mt. Vernon and massachussets. I know in cold weather sound travels far, but when I lived in an apartment in la mesa @ spring valley road, facing the trolley stop, I looked out of my window and never saw a freight train. I just herd the whistle. Now where I live, on a cool night I can hear the fireworks from sea world, and I am no where near sea world. Sound travels diffrent in the cold, that's probibly why it can be herd from far away. But I still cannot explain the horn sound passing by my window every night @ 2 am on spring st. And never seeing the train.
Khopper

Los Angeles, CA

#37 Jul 19, 2012
Dan wrote:
a regular frieght train runs from san diego to el cajon between around 12 and 3 every night on the trolley tracks when the trolley is not running.
lies!! my grandpa runs san diego trolley and he said no frieght train runs on a trolley track due to powerlines for trolley are to low
Robert

Spring Valley, CA

#38 Jul 20, 2012
Your grandpa doesn't know anything. The overhead lines are designed such that a freight train can pass underneath. The real problem is that some of the bridges for the trolley are only designed for the weight of the trolley -- not the weight of a freight train. This Freight train typically travels on some of the trolley lines early Monday morning (just after midnight) and early Friday morning at 3am.

Here's a video that proves it. You should be able to see the overhead power lines in the light of the train, as well as some indication that I am at a trolley station.

&li st=UU9vkkI_RFGi3PeAy3OwuD4Q &index=5&feature=plcp
Khopper wrote:
<quoted text>
lies!! my grandpa runs san diego trolley and he said no frieght train runs on a trolley track due to powerlines for trolley are to low
joel

Phoenix, AZ

#39 Aug 16, 2012
Yea I live about a block away from some trolley tracks here in Chula vista and I hear a train at night too. It's a freight train that goes to san ysidro and san Diego. It's the san Diego and imperial valley railroad. I've seen it before too.
Kevin edmonds

Chula Vista, CA

#40 Nov 7, 2012
OK LISTEN EVERYBODY!!

There is no ghost train or haunted train here, Yes! they are real trains that run late at night. These trains run on the Trolley tracks after 12:45 when last trolley goes to sleep. The SDIY runs freight operations to El Cajon to the industrial depot near Fletcher parkway via Orange Line. They also conduct the Mexican import/export freight service to San Ysidro/Mexican border via Blue Line. They run almost every night to San Ysidro. But to East county they only run once or twice a week.

Smaller sized trains will travel to and from east county on the Green Line, but they owned by MTS and are usually used for trolley maintenance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Mesa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll SUSTAINABLE JOBs/new Business Creations IN Agri... 18 hr Un agenda 21 and ... 10
I m housewife need home based job 20 hr DecentAmit 12
cloud nine or bizzaro vap Tue snoopy99 1
anyone into kinky taboo fantasy? Mon tester 5
News 2 Teenagers Stabbed In El Cajon (May '06) Mon VCEC 338
Need Black Sun dirty nj 30
Review: SelfHelpWorks Sun Anonymous 21
More from around the web

La Mesa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]