Do you support proposals made by LHH ...

Do you support proposals made by LHH council members for new or increased taxes?

Created by NewsStar on Mar 13, 2010

711 votes

Click on an option to vote

YES

Yes, city needs more revenue.

NO

No, explore budget cuts.

Need more information.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Stuffing

Bell Gardens, CA

#1 Mar 16, 2010
La Habra Heights was the ONLY city in LA County to vote AGAINST the increased sales tax, Measure R.

Where then are all these "Yes" votes to increase taxes coming from?

Are city staff and council members voting multiple times to make it look like the community supports new taxes?

Government always "needs" more revenue. It is a bottomless pit.

There is plenty of overspending at City Hall to cut.
Early Thanksgiving

AOL

#2 Mar 16, 2010
Perhaps Clark (City Manager) instructed employees to vote yes (ballot stuffing) to raise taxes on dim-witted residents and get themselves a pay raise in the process?
Turkey

Bell Gardens, CA

#3 Mar 22, 2010
Any ballot measure for the Council's money grabbing tax measures will be a turkey at the polls.

Residents want mindless overspending cut before they will even consider tax increases.

Can you believe city staff say they MUST HAVE new computer servers because the existing ones are out of warranty?

Can you believe the city spends $120 buying gold plated business cards for each city staff person, instead of $30 ones most other businesses buy?

Have you ever gone by the City Hall or Park building and seen lights burning through the night?

Get out the budget ax and chop the head off the turkey!

“Exclusive Investigation!”

Since: Jun 07

La Habra Heights

#4 Mar 22, 2010

LaHabraHeights - Resident’s irate over wasteful spending for "gold plated" & embossed biz cards. This as City eyes tax increases!

Tweet Note: Do we really want to continue funding a fat broken system that misuse uses our tax dollars to pay for luxuries and then solicits for more taxation to correct revenue shortfalls?

Link to picture of fancy expensive biz card: http://bit.ly/9IPlW2
REStar

AOL

#5 Mar 23, 2010
NewsStar wrote:
LaHabraHeights - Resident’s irate over wasteful spending for "gold plated" & embossed biz cards. This as City eyes tax increases!
Tweet Note: Do we really want to continue funding a fat broken system that misuse uses our tax dollars to pay for luxuries and then solicits for more taxation to correct revenue shortfalls?
Link to picture of fancy expensive biz card: http://bit.ly/9IPlW2
That is the pettiest comment I have ever seen. The City Manager diserves a business card that shows some class even though she represents a classless city. Obviously Newstar has not ever had a professional business card because he/she would know the difference between cheap and homemade cards vs. a classy professional card such as the city manager's, is mere pennies.
What people are irate at is stupid, dumb idiotic viscious comments such as these above. Professional business cards are about $55/thousand. How about that?
Mashed Potatoes

Bell Gardens, CA

#6 Mar 23, 2010
A local printer will print full color, 1 sided, business cards for $39 for 1,000,$50 for 2,500, or $79 for 5,000.

The $120 gold plated city business cards are a symptom of an attitude of frivolous spending. These are provided to all city staff.

They are buying "potatoes au gratin" when they should be buying mashed potatoes.

Wasted pennies add up to wasted dollars.
Before you know it, that is real money, and no need for 6 new taxes on residents.
Resident

Van Nuys, CA

#7 Mar 23, 2010
Mashed Potatoes wrote:
A local printer will print full color, 1 sided, business cards for $39 for 1,000,$50 for 2,500, or $79 for 5,000.
The $120 gold plated city business cards are a symptom of an attitude of frivolous spending. These are provided to all city staff.
They are buying "potatoes au gratin" when they should be buying mashed potatoes.
Wasted pennies add up to wasted dollars.
Before you know it, that is real money, and no need for 6 new taxes on residents.
Further more, more people throw the cards away after adding the contact information to an i phone, smart phone or computer database.
Gilded

AOL

#8 Mar 23, 2010
REStar wrote:
<quoted text>The City Manager diserves a business card that shows some class even though she represents a classless city. How about that?
Providing classy gold business cards to a City Manager that works out of the principal’s office of an old schoolhouse is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Ha Ha

Van Nuys, CA

#9 Mar 23, 2010
Gilded wrote:
<quoted text>
Providing classy gold business cards to a City Manager that works out of the principal’s office of an old schoolhouse is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Well we are zoned for pigs.....The big question is, will more expensive business cards make staff more effective and get better results in the long run? We need a poll.

“Exclusive Investigation!”

Since: Jun 07

La Habra Heights

#10 Mar 23, 2010
REStar wrote:
<quoted text>...professional card such as the city manager's, is mere pennies...Professional business cards are about $55/thousand. How about that?
Pennies? How about hundreds if not thousands of dollars have been spent on business cards for employees that are no in service to our community.

Bad management? You decide.

View La Habra Heights warrant run for business cards, by clicking on the following link: http://bit.ly/9hFJiP
REStar

AOL

#11 Mar 23, 2010
Well now they will have to change Vips cards to delete the Mayor title. Ken is gone. So guess you have something else to gripe about. More pennies being spent.

Small potatos. We have pigs, more pigs and no class in this city. Just a bunch of dirty hippies, busy body's, tons of delapitated run down properties and I guess panties can get a wad when a city manager attempts to show some professionalism in this stye of a city with some good looking, impressive cards. Problem is they are ordering in the wrong place but using the Staples account. SO WHAT! Boy, I would hate to have an impressive education and job title and thow out a chinsy card. That is low.
Seriously

Long Beach, CA

#12 Mar 24, 2010
This might be the dumbest discussion I have ever seen.
Tea Time

Norwich, NY

#13 Mar 24, 2010
Seriously wrote:
This might be the dumbest discussion I have ever seen.
It would be considered dumb if one was a supporter of tax increases.
NewsSlant

Long Beach, CA

#14 Mar 25, 2010
NewsStar:
All it takes is a few minutes of research to determine that the "warrant run" you posted is a manipulated forgery. You obviously cut and pasted various line items from five separate warrant register pages and compiled it in one document. You may think you are doing your fellow residents a service in compiling this information (and quite poorly I might add), but in fact all you are doing is misleading them into believing your slanted version of the truth. The actual warrant registers are available on the City's website as part of each Council agenda.
Anyone who understands how cities report their finances would know that this type of warrant register only reports invoice amounts - not individual items. What that means is that any given invoice may include multiple orders (i.e. business cards, office supplies, equipment, etc.) and pay them all at once with one check. The description that goes on the warrant, however, is only the first line of the invoice description.
The business cards at City Hall cost $89.20 per 500.
You should check your facts before you present disingenuous and misleading reports to the public, much like "some" say the City does. I believe in the transparency of government, but you should know that people will stop listening to you if you start reporting unfounded speculation as fact.
Reality Check

Bell Gardens, CA

#15 Mar 25, 2010
NewsSlant wrote:
NewsStar:
All it takes is a few minutes of research to determine that the "warrant run" you posted is a manipulated forgery. You obviously cut and pasted various line items from five separate warrant register pages and compiled it in one document. You may think you are doing your fellow residents a service in compiling this information (and quite poorly I might add), but in fact all you are doing is misleading them into believing your slanted version of the truth. The actual warrant registers are available on the City's website as part of each Council agenda.
Anyone who understands how cities report their finances would know that this type of warrant register only reports invoice amounts - not individual items. What that means is that any given invoice may include multiple orders (i.e. business cards, office supplies, equipment, etc.) and pay them all at once with one check. The description that goes on the warrant, however, is only the first line of the invoice description.
The business cards at City Hall cost $89.20 per 500.
You should check your facts before you present disingenuous and misleading reports to the public, much like "some" say the City does. I believe in the transparency of government, but you should know that people will stop listening to you if you start reporting unfounded speculation as fact.
I don't see any attempt to deceive by Newstar.

The linked warrants clearly have different dates, and show a pattern of continued spending for high priced, gold-plated, business cards.

If the business cards are actually $89.20 per 500 than that is truly a scandalous expenditure, and maybe the embossed gold on them actually is real gold at that price.

If Newslant's number is correct, the abusive spending of our tax dollars is at a higher level than I even thought.

This thoughtless spending is but an example of the culture of waste woven into government, and why they are always asking for more money.

No! No! No!
Newslope

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Mar 25, 2010
I like the gold embossed cards. It helps me get over the feeling that I am getting called to the principal's office every time I go to city hall.

Although news slant may or may not be right on this one, the projector geek does have a history of placing fake "headlines" to stories linked to The Whittier Daily news. He also seems to post under other names. No credibility there.

The money spent on business cards pales in comparison to that wasted on information requests by the so-called "activists" that The Heights seems to be plagued with.

I wish that they would just move down the hill and be a gadfly down there. JMO.
Heights Forever

Chatsworth, CA

#17 Mar 25, 2010
We are a property tax city. When are you going to understand that this city exists on property taxes? One thousand acres have been given away to the Wildlife Corridor and you wonder why you are going to have to pay new taxes? One third of the original land of this city have been given away, and with those 1,000 acres, the property tax that went with the land. If you love it up here, you have to understand the critical financial structure that this city is facing in the next seven years. Our thanks to all conservative councils who have done so well in the past. But now our income is diminished with lower property taxes, houses going into foreclosure and no new homes being built. If we want to live here and continue to be a city, we are going to have to pay for it. George Edwards is a liberal Democrat who wants everything for nothing. His hysterical response to a very serious problem is typical.

Who runs a business without business cards? 500 cards for $81. I think that is a bargain. Why Planning Commission Chair Larry Black let George Edwards go on about such a petty issue as business cards at the Planning Commission meeting was ridiculous.
IMHO

Charleston, WV

#18 Mar 25, 2010
Heights Forever wrote:
We are a property tax city. When are you going to understand that this city exists on property taxes?

George Edwards is a liberal Democrat who wants everything for nothing. His hysterical response to a very serious problem is typical.
Jean, it is always nice to hear from the old council. I guess if people knew that you support tax increases to pay for your government (city) paid heath insurance. Folks would think twice about listening to your attacks on democrats in La Habra Heights.

IMHO
Resident

Bell Gardens, CA

#19 Mar 26, 2010
Heights Forever wrote:
We are a property tax city. When are you going to understand that this city exists on property taxes? One thousand acres have been given away to the Wildlife Corridor and you wonder why you are going to have to pay new taxes? One third of the original land of this city have been given away, and with those 1,000 acres, the property tax that went with the land. If you love it up here, you have to understand the critical financial structure that this city is facing in the next seven years. Our thanks to all conservative councils who have done so well in the past. But now our income is diminished with lower property taxes, houses going into foreclosure and no new homes being built. If we want to live here and continue to be a city, we are going to have to pay for it. George Edwards is a liberal Democrat who wants everything for nothing. His hysterical response to a very serious problem is typical.
Who runs a business without business cards? 500 cards for $81. I think that is a bargain. Why Planning Commission Chair Larry Black let George Edwards go on about such a petty issue as business cards at the Planning Commission meeting was ridiculous.
You must be a building industry flack.

The net result of houses is that they cost the city money, by requiring more services than the tax revenue pays for.

The city only gets about 10 cents from every property tax dollar.

If building more houses would create net positive revenue, then La Habra, with 10x the houses as LHH should have plenty of money, and Los Angeles must be drowning in extra money. But, no, that is not the case. The more houses, the worse off cities are.

You think, no, we need big houses. Well, look at Malibu. Plenty of big houses, but the city is cash strapped.

The richer cities are those like the City of Industry, which has almost no homes, but has the revenue from many businesses and sales tax, without the need for services that houses require.

If LHH were just vacant land, there would be property tax revenue, but no need for services.

The councils that have got the city in financial trouble are the ones that push more building, and lower building fees to do so. That happened in the late 90s, and again now.

That forces the rest of the residents to subsidize the builders, and then to have to pay more for the services required.

If property taxes paid the way, we would not need a roads assessment and a fire fee.

There have been a lot of new houses built the last ten years so you'd think, according to the builder's lobbyist propaganda that since our property tax revenue went up the city would be in better shape, but, not only does the council want to double the roads tax and increase the fire fee, they also want a trash tax, utility tax, and police tax.

Building more houses will never get us out of a revenue shortage.
Highlander

AOL

#20 Mar 27, 2010
Newslope wrote:
I like the gold embossed cards. It helps me get over the feeling that I am getting called to the principal's office every time I go to city hall.
Although news slant may or may not be right on this one, the projector geek does have a history of placing fake "headlines" to stories linked to The Whittier Daily news. He also seems to post under other names. No credibility there.
On the other hand, you have credibility because you post under your real name. By the way, I don’t recall the name “Newslope” being listed on the city’s latest voter registration rolls. Are you new to our city?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Habra Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Told Pharts 33,405
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) 2 hr SSSSSATAN 4,546
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 3 hr Davis 9,084
News An Azusa neighborhood has become a common groun... (Aug '09) 7 hr Ace kings 216
News Whistle-blower lawsuit seeks return of $500,000... 17 hr Unreal 4
Maclaren Hall childrens center or juvinile center (Dec '10) 18 hr Darline Augustine 190
News Covina police officers want pay increase (Apr '08) Wed James ozaeta 22

La Habra Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Habra Heights Mortgages