An Outsider's Look Inside the Improve...

An Outsider's Look Inside the Improvement Association

There are 7 comments on the www.theavocadoexpress.com story from Mar 9, 2012, titled An Outsider's Look Inside the Improvement Association. In it, www.theavocadoexpress.com reports that:

Our View: Uninvited, we go undercover to attend their meeting.

LA HABRA HEIGHTS, CA - On Wednesday March 7th, the La Habra Height’s Improvement Association held its scheduled “Meet and Greet” that was advertised in the Association’s publication, The Heights Life. The event was held at the city hall multipurpose room where the Association hoped to connect with members and encourage others to join. However, the event was members only and poorly attended.

An unpublicized meeting was held an hour before the scheduled 7 p.m. event. The meeting was attended by the board of directors plus three non-board members. It is unclear what was discussed during the secret meeting.

The meet and greet consisted of about 20 people in attendance and only two new potential members, one being this reporter. Having read a bit about the Association, and having seen the video reports, it was not surprising how the board initially reacted to a stranger in the room.

The board members seemed uneasy that someone was walking in on their meeting but they quickly regained composure and welcomed me in. Despite their friendly demeanor, there was a certain level of suspicion, with one woman asking for my last name after only just being introduced to her. Overall, the members were cautious but did not hesitate to open up.

Some of the recent controversy involving the association has revolved around a lack of transparency, in particular the refusal to regularly publicize the bylaws of the Association. Currently, bylaws can be changed by the board without notifying the member body and without member consent.

According to a board member at yesterday’s event, the board believes that they can refuse membership dues from anyone who is hostile to the group. However, the most recently published bylaws, filed with the California Secretary of State on May 25, 2010, states that in order to be precluded from membership an individual must not positively support article II of the bylaws.

Article II outlines the purposes of the organization which are: to “unite all property owners and residents of La Habra Heights, California, as a non partisan organization, for the purpose of maintaining a rural environment, of creating community interest, and of exerting a combined effective influence upon matters pertaining to the welfare of La Habra Heights.”

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theavocadoexpress.com.

Brave Reporter

Valencia, CA

#1 Mar 9, 2012
That was an interesting look at something most people in the Heights never see due to the extreme secrecy of the group.

Either the reporter was very brave, or was not fully familiar with the group, because if the La Habra Heights Improvement Association discovers a non-member in their midst violence can result.

See surreptitiously caught video of Improvement Association "soldiers" attacking someone, just because he was "not a member".

WARNING" Violence and Obscene Language

Outsider Too

El Cajon, CA

#2 Mar 9, 2012
One year I attended and they looked at me with suspicion. One male member told me he saw llamas on East Road and was going to report them. How nice is that to say they "They are a rural animal loving group"? The members are all old, no energy other than to drive around and spy on residents. They are so old they better be careful and not miss any curves and drive off a cliff.
avid reader

Montebello, CA

#3 Mar 10, 2012
i bet they saw fresh meat and said, "hey there, would you like a candddyyyyyyyy?"
Wondering

Oakland, CA

#4 Mar 10, 2012
What ever happened to their VP that was arrested? I heard he was messing around with the books?
Highlander

AOL

#5 Mar 10, 2012
So failure to “positively support“ the goal “unite all residents of La Habra Heights” is grounds to preclude someone from membership? Wouldn’t that eliminate most LHHIA board members and their cronies?

Apparently, recording (and putting on the internet) a public meeting of an organization whose purpose is to “unite all residents” and “create community interest” constitutes “non-support” of the purposes of the organization. But assaulting a resident helps to “unite all residents.”
Bobby

North Hollywood, CA

#6 Mar 27, 2012
All two of the people who post this junk and disguise themselves as several people, have become so paranoid that maybe medication should be considered. Everything is a conspiracy and everyone is bad. Get a life. I'll bet you were shunned by your peers as children and have complexes about anyone who is a contributing member of society. You comment negatively on everyone and everything. People finally get it. Even those who used to follow you and live in our community now realize you are nuts and liars. Referring to Edwards and Blagden. You have become laughing stocks in the community due to your paranoia and constant going after every group.
Spring Fling

La Verne, CA

#7 Mar 30, 2012
Bobby,

You sound like the Chairman of the Improvement Association Welcome Wagon. Are you the one having people turn left and cough to make sure they obey all the rules as they enter the meeting? Love that positive vibe. Anytime I want to see negativity I just look at the Improvement Association By-laws. What a nice bunch of people you are, with your t-shirts saying, "Have you assaulted a photojournalist today". Is that your method "unite all residents".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Habra Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Told Pharts 33,405
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) 2 hr SSSSSATAN 4,546
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 3 hr Davis 9,084
News An Azusa neighborhood has become a common groun... (Aug '09) 7 hr Ace kings 216
News Whistle-blower lawsuit seeks return of $500,000... 17 hr Unreal 4
Maclaren Hall childrens center or juvinile center (Dec '10) 18 hr Darline Augustine 190
News Covina police officers want pay increase (Apr '08) Wed James ozaeta 22

La Habra Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Habra Heights Mortgages