Tejano monument to decorate Texas Capitol grounds

Full story: El Paso Times 17
Life-size bronze sculptures of 11 Tejanos will decorate the Texas Capitol grounds. Full Story
SGT G

Renton, WA

#1 May 29, 2009
wow, im surprised. No hateful comments about hispanics yet?
otimio vasquez

Saint Paul, MN

#2 May 29, 2009
tejanos fought along side the texians in the alamo and during the mexicans war for independence from mexico, I was born and raised as a proud tejano from tejas.

“Death of literacy - few notice”

Since: May 09

Alamo

#3 May 29, 2009
Sgt - Shhh! Maybe people don't know that "Tejano" could include "Hispanics."

Don't give the game away.

After all, Ignorance is bliss!

(& I must say, we have a lot of blissed-out people hereabouts in e-land ...)
Ben

Fairfax, VA

#4 May 29, 2009
Long overdue recognition for los Tejanos who fought and died up for Texas independence, even back then they knew that Mexico Sucks!
haha

El Paso, TX

#5 May 29, 2009
SGT G wrote:
wow, im surprised. No hateful comments about hispanics yet?
Too easy grungeboy. But I do put down 20 and give it six weeks before Los Musicales graffiti and two packs of Bud Light litter its base. Come see Scenic Drive Park if you are confused.

Not that I didn't find similar detritus at Gas Works.

Houston, TX

#6 May 30, 2009
That's great news! Can't wait to see them in El Paso! Hmmmm " EL PAAAAASO " That is a SPANISH word and in ENGLISH it's " He Pass " and also can mean " He Pass by " For those of you who hadn't realized that Texas does has spanish towns!
American Tejano

AOL

#8 May 30, 2009
The original settlers and ranching development in Texas were the Tejano families. Tejanos were in the Battle of Medina, Alamo and San Jacinto which helped gain Texas total independence. Over a thousand (mostly Tejanos) lost their lives against the Spanish Federalist in the Battle of Medina (1813). Seven Tejanos lost their lives defending the Alamo (one Tejano named Guerrero was from Laredo) and many Tejanos (including Juan Seguin) fought to beat Republic of Mexico's Santa Ana Army at San Jacinto (1836).
After Texas Independence, TEJANOS who sacrifice their lives for the new Texas lost almost everything. They were established communities and ranches around Nacogdoches, Waco, Goliad, El Paso, Victoria, Refugio, San Antonio and most of the trans Nueces area, yet because to the Anglo misconception of Mexicans, Tejanos paid again with their lives, families and property loses in Texas. We still suffer many equal employment and loan opportunities because of some eople's arrogance. Tejanos love Texas so much, they still chose to stay. Tejano ancestors were here way before the Anglo colonist. Even noted colonists signed his name as "Esteban" F. Austin.
Education is the key but still it is a long uphill climb for American Tejanos because of some ignorance that exists even today outside south Texas. Because of the America’s immigration attitudes, many American Hispanics are considered as illegal immigrants. Immigration and Tejano history are two distinctive issues.
Ignorant, arrogant and sarcastic comments against the Tejano Monument are a slap in the face of our American Tejano veterans who fought for the USA. Texas vaqueros (prelude to cowboys by over 300 years) helped ship cattle to the American revolutionaries and fought with Andrew Jackson’s Battle of 1812 New Orleans. Tejanos were the original revolutionaries and colonist who fought for Texas Independence. American Tejano veterans have fought in the American Civil War, WWI & II, Korean, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan wars. We are American Tejanos and twisted history and recent snide remarks can not take anything away from us.
House Bill 4114 (Tejano Monument bill) was supported by Texas Governor Rick Perry, Lt. Governor David Dewhurst, Speaker of the House Joe Straus and all of the Texas senators and representatives. We all are TEJANO (TEXAS) PROUD! OUR TEXAS PRIDE!
El Tajano

San Antonio, TX

#9 May 30, 2009
The people living and born Texas are Tejanos. NOT WET BACKS!
"TEXANS", Very simple. even Mexicans should know this. LOL

Houston, TX

#10 May 30, 2009
Dead-Bodies wrote:
<quoted text>
?Que'?
LOL! I don't know if you were just being a SMART A$$ or being funny, but really I don't care cause you seriously had me LMAO!
Petro

United States

#13 May 30, 2009
Man, their were Coconuts even back then.
sam austin english only

Naperville, IL

#14 May 31, 2009
the tejanos are on americas side.. they fought mexico with the USA.. they may be of mexican heritage but they are loyal americans..

the Mexican illegals are NOT tejanos. they are illegal invaders and they must go..

that has no more connection to AMERICAN tejanos, than I have to illegal actions committed by those people of my ethnic origin in europe..

what is so funny about this thread. funny=pathetic.. is that the illegals here think tejanos are mexican citizens or the equivalent of that, simply due to their ethnicity,.. which is yes, RACISM..

the american illegal-stoppers here, not one, has said a word against tejano americans, much to the disappointment of the illegal laRaza mexicans..

the very condemers of others prove themsleves the racists, and it really funny !
Petro

United States

#15 May 31, 2009
Tejanos still smell like chorizo. They might dress and act white but one strong Grito and their women coming running.
remember the alamo

Lake In The Hills, IL

#16 May 31, 2009
Petro wrote:
Tejanos still smell like chorizo. They might dress and act white but one strong Grito and their women coming running.
..and on que after being called out as a racist.. a anonymous illegal lover shows up to impersonate a anglo insulting tejanos.. no one saw through that genius..
SGT G

Renton, WA

#17 Jun 1, 2009
Mexi-Mami32 wrote:
That's great news! Can't wait to see them in El Paso! Hmmmm " EL PAAAAASO " That is a SPANISH word and in ENGLISH it's " He Pass " and also can mean " He Pass by " For those of you who hadn't realized that Texas does has spanish towns!
Actually the original name was El Paseo, since through here was the only place the travelers heading west could pass the mountains. Just a little fun fact. Nice pic by the way
Tejanos

Pennsauken, NJ

#18 Feb 18, 2013
Texas was Mexico putos traitors...
Brown pride

Pennsauken, NJ

#19 Feb 18, 2013
Texas, Alta California , Nuevo Mèxico was Mèxico enough said traitors
Brown pride

Pennsauken, NJ

#20 Feb 18, 2013
It was an unfair war the gringos took advantage like they always do & the traitors performed blowjobs & anilingus to the gringos so they could become part of the gringolandia.... The Mexican government did a mistake letting gringos into Mexico territory ( Texas es Mexico almost all the south west putos Califas Arizona Nevada Colorado part of Wyoming es Mexico by right traitors writing that tejanos fought along side with the u.s some Tejanos didn't be part of gringos land

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Grange Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Google Fiber Internet Plus TV Has Arrived In Au... 2 hr Roger 2
trying to meet that black 2 hr Brian 23
Where is PITTSCITY ELDERS ? 2 hr Brian 3
Lawmakers Consider Boosting Earthquake Research Sat a bit late eh 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Fri Farts 771
i need to chill, where is the cold Fri Walter White 1
Jason Foltz (Jul '14) Thu escobar 3
La Grange Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web