Tuesday Rocks

Jan 27, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: 100.3 The Buzzard

I'm a native Texan born and raised in the "Live Music Capital of the World", Austin, Texas.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Feb 1, 2013
Austinite

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

My fathers family came to Austin from Ireland in 1842, my mothers side of the family to San Antonio from Germany in 1855.
I was born and raised on the farm then outside of Austin and what is now 360 and 2222 area.
I have lived all my life in Austin, apart from my 25 years of military service and I retired 2 years ago.
Austin has gone down the toilet musicwise with the city tearing down venues and overpriced condos and lofts taking over. Still is some good music and venues left but a shadow of what it was in the 70s and 80s to be sure.
Oral history talks of family going to Tom Moore General Store on the corner of 6th and Congress for a soda and or a float. This was after the War of Northern Aggression right up until the later 1890s.
In 1881 they hitched their wagons and rode the rough two hours to come watch the capital building burn as they wanted to cheer yankee legislatures roast as they were in session. There was a large crowd and the fire department had a hard time laying out hose long enough to reach the nearest hydrant, half a mile or more away. They were in no real hurry either.
Not long after the war Yankee Carpetbaggers were also routinely tarred, feathered, and then thrown off of the new and then only bridge over the river, a pontoon bridge. People would pay a nickle just to watch and jeer. Vendors sold cold mugs of beer all along the river to the crowds for a penny each.
Chuggaboom

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Me too but I never moved away, why did you? Austin is hardly the live music capital of anying anymore anyways, well maybe of Texas, or maybe of the metro area since San Antonio has a better live music scene.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

La Grange Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

La Grange People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••