21-Year-Old Struck, Killed By Metra T...

21-Year-Old Struck, Killed By Metra Train

There are 38 comments on the NBC 5 Chicago story from May 27, 2008, titled 21-Year-Old Struck, Killed By Metra Train. In it, NBC 5 Chicago reports that:

A pedestrian was fatally struck by a Metra train near west suburban Western Springs on Tuesday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5 Chicago.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ann

Lemont, IL

#23 Jun 2, 2008
carmela wrote:
<quoted text>Did you know Michelle Roberts? Did "Mary" from Oswego know Michelle? I thought not! Did either of you heartless people know that she was an intelligent, beautiful, conscientous, young woman with a very bright future whom possessed more sweetness in her young heart that any of us will ever know. Are you aware that Michelle was sucked into the path of that train as there were a total of three trains there at the time? Have either of you people even been there? I have, I spent the day there with my daughters and their friends grieving this horrific occurence. I had chills running down my spine from the excessive rate of speed at which myriad trains blast by and spoke with construction workers who witnessed this horrible tragedy. May God help all of you people that would have the temerity to post such utter savage thoughts; you sorely need it! I hope to God that you or your loved ones never have to personally experience such a tragedy, and if you do I pray that you may be spared such hateful comments bt callous strangers!
carmela
Carmela - I feel really bad for you and everyone who knew and loved Michelle. However, it is absolutely doubtful that Michelle was "sucked" into the train's path because of the high speed that it was traveling. In any event, it was a tragic moment where Michelle was way too close to the edge or at some point where she should not have been standing or walking. There were witnesses who said that the train was sounding it's horn. I believe you that Michelle was a intelligent girl, but she made a grave mistake and it cost her her life. It is a very sad story and one that I hope never happens again.
to anns post from sam

Oak Park, IL

#24 Jun 4, 2008
i would like to say i reallllyyyy appericate your concern and your post cuz you know why? I KNEW MICHELLE ROBERTS. ive known her since i was 8 and im now 18. shes right with every word she had to say. she was everything. and you people that can be so rude with what you got to say when your the one not dealing with the hurting and denial that a wonderful friend like her is gone. you know it kills to read she "funny" comments to this tradegy. do you think it was fun and funny hearing that a friend died and going to her memorial service and crying to the point where my heart skip beats? i think not. dont be so low and disrespectful and making fun of the fact that she got killed and making it seem like she was the one that stupid. she got sucked under. got hit. think before you people hav the nerve to post such rude comments bc you arent the one dealing with this hard time. i am and her family is. not you. so i would love to see how you would feel reading rude comments and getting hurt by it just as much as i am.
to anns post from sam

Oak Park, IL

#25 Jun 4, 2008
sucked under. NOT HIT.*****

Since: Jun 08

Bolingbrook, IL

#26 Jun 14, 2008
KARA wrote:
<quoted text>
HEY A**HOLE I KNOW THE GIRL... THE TRAIN SUCKED HER UNDER CUZ IT WAS GOING SO FAST. SHE WAS JUST STANDING ON THE SIDE WAITING
The train was going fast alright, but she wasn't just standing on the side waiting. She was running inside the yellow line from Wolf Rd. toward Lawn Ave. She never acknowledged the horn. She turned as the engine came alongside and was hit by a handhold on the engine. The train was in emergency before it got to Wolf Rd. The accident was at Lawn ave.
bobby

Aurora, IL

#27 Jun 16, 2008
We all have loved ones and wether it was accidental or not is besides the point. When you make horrible comments about a tradedy while some family somewhere is in terrible grief, i promise someday you will understand when the hand of fate grabs you or someone you love. Most of us learn compassion and wisdom through life experience,sometimes (many times) we have to comfort the ignorant and un-sympathetic. Life would'nt work the other way around.
A kind word and a pat on the back always works wonders.
Shannon

Macedon, NY

#28 Jun 23, 2008
I'm very sorry for the loss of this girl. I take this train sometimes and I never thought anything like this would have ever happenned. It's a teagic loss and my thoughts go out to this girl's family and friends. She was probably a smart, wonderful young girl with a promising future, and people posting comments calling her an idiot and other rude things should just stop. It's annoying.
Your not the girl's friends and family that have to think about this accident for every day of the rest of their life, and read some people's nasty comments the day of the girl's death. I'm not trying to offend anyone that's written those comments, but really, think about what your going to write before you write it.

But anyways, I'm very sorry to people that knew her, and my deepest sympathies go out to her family and friends.
Greg Deluca

United States

#29 Jul 30, 2008
I grew up with Michelle. I have known her since preschool, all the way to my senior year of Highschool. She was one of the most polite, friendly, and sweetest people you could meet.

I heard about this 2 months too late. I could not believe my ears. I am so sorry for her loss, and I pray for her family.

On a side note: Rude comments, arguments, and other things that are being posted in this fourm. I cannot believe how insensitive these people are. It doesnt matter how she died in this incident. All that matters now is that she is gone, and these people are trying to mourn..

Also, Mythbusters is a TV show, right? Well, I didnt catch the Mythbusters where they put Michelle on the tracks, in Western Springs, going 70 mph. Leave it out of here. Your TV watching abilities does not mean that you are a police detective of any sort.

Please, keep the negative comments out of the fourm. Respect the loss, and chew your negative comments lightly.
Rail Road Employee

Oswego, IL

#30 Sep 4, 2008
We are NOT ALLOWED to pass another train while loading or unloading passengers, except at 4 stops located much further west than the locations described in this article. You must be seeing things sir. Its NEVER the trains fault. We cannot steer the train, we simply stay on the rails, and "rarely" do we vanish from sight only to "sneak up onto unsuspecting vitims. I cannot tell you how horrible it is to have to get out and find the person whom you just hit on the tracks!! We loose sleep long after people forget reading about it happening. WAKE UP OUT THERE
Mark Thompson

United States

#31 Sep 4, 2008
Remember the scene in " Ghost " where the one ghost told Patrick Swayze. " Somebody pushed me in front of the train" However, its tragic and we need to show respect here.
Jenna Klotz

River Falls, WI

#32 Sep 7, 2008
I went to high school with Michelle. we never became friends, but i had some classes with her and "knew" her from what i saw and hear of her. She was popular, although not the rude, ignorant popular girl.. She was popular because she was genuine. She was really smart, always smiling and always willing to help out and volunteer her time with anything. Its hard to comprehend why God would take someone who is well needed on Earth. She could have accomplished so much, if she only had more time. I have no doubt she would have been an amazing mother, successful at her career and made loving lasting relationships with many more people who need her friendship. Regardless of how it happened, it did. It saddens me that she may never know how many lives she touched in only 21 yrs. Even people she only met a couple times. She did with me.
Sierra

Chicago, IL

#33 Dec 9, 2010
Dear mary
whats ur problem i knew very well and i still cry to this day about her because i miss her whe was my sisters best friend and my role model i wanted and still want to be just like her when i grow up im only a teenager and have my life ahead of me
btw- Has anyone ever told u to think before u say something?
just something to add- to me she was an angel in disguis
Mary

Melrose Park, IL

#34 Dec 10, 2010
Siera, why don't you just shut up. didn't ask for ur dumb opinion.
My Head Exploded

Grass Valley, CA

#35 Dec 13, 2010
Carmela wrote:
i just wish and pray that all of you malevolent and nefarious individuals would please stop with all of your heinious comments!
uh Carmela (that's always been a silly name to me by the way...). I think your words are too big. Try saying it this way: u guys r making me angry.

See? Now put your Thesaurus away and get off the internets, no ones impressed with you.

See ya!
He who knows

Willowbrook, IL

#36 Apr 15, 2011
People really need to learn patience and not be so rushed and in a hurry that they'd rather die than be even one minute late, or even less than an hour early for work, shopping, appointment, etc. Those few seconds of difference are not worth your life. It only takes about 15 seconds for a Metra train to pass by. Chicagoland is NOT a Russian army camp, people! And most importantly, people need to learn that trains are the number 1 biggest and most powerful vehicles in the world. And if even an 18 wheeler doesn't stand a chance against a train, then, well, you can imagine what a train will do to you. And not only that, but trains have HUGE stopping distances! I even once heard that an average Metra train going 60 miles per hour will take about 3,000 feet, or the length of 10 football fields, to come to a complete stop after throwing on it's brakes. And a loaded freight train going at that same speed takes about 12 city blocks, or a mile and a half, to come to a stop. In addition, an average freight train takes just 5 to 10 minutes to pass by. If you don't feel like waiting for the freight train to pass, go find a route with either a bridge over the train tracks or a viaduct under the train tracks.
He who knows

Willowbrook, IL

#37 Apr 29, 2011
Whenever the gates are down, DON'T CROSS THE TRACKS!!!!! And even if the gates are up, look both ways before crossing the tracks to make sure there isn't a train coming! Nothing stands a chance against an oncoming train. Not cars, not vans, not buses, not individuals, and not even 18 wheelers. And even if you tie with a train, you still lose.
Mike

Glendale Heights, IL

#38 Oct 3, 2015
As a conductor I can say it affects you immediately, then down the road outta nowhere. My fatalities were suicides, all but one. At first I was distraught, upset..then frankly it just angers me. It's all very selfish to me. After five "incidents" I went back out to freight service and last year had a kid with earphones just walk in front of us texting away....wtf..wake up people..we don't swerve and why is it that the service dogs who assist the blind who I've dealt with know when a train is approaching no matter if my consist is stopped or not? After all this I truly believe it was their time and we were just the vessel to do it. The nerve people have to actually sue afterwards..well for all the ripped up crap I've seen, throw a couple dollars my way. Look Listen Live...simple enough.
Townie

Bolingbrook, IL

#39 Oct 4, 2015
Enough drama already
Ghost

Racine, WI

#40 Oct 4, 2015
Mike wrote:
As a conductor I can say it affects you immediately, then down the road outta nowhere. My fatalities were suicides, all but one. At first I was distraught, upset..then frankly it just angers me. It's all very selfish to me. After five "incidents" I went back out to freight service and last year had a kid with earphones just walk in front of us texting away....wtf..wake up people..we don't swerve and why is it that the service dogs who assist the blind who I've dealt with know when a train is approaching no matter if my consist is stopped or not? After all this I truly believe it was their time and we were just the vessel to do it. The nerve people have to actually sue afterwards..well for all the ripped up crap I've seen, throw a couple dollars my way. Look Listen Live...simple enough.
WOW it just two sentences you went from distraught - to - upset - to - angry
not much compassion in you and you wonder why the family would sue you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Grange Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who GEORGE SCHLEYER? (May '12) 28 min Bugaboo 38
and there off The 2017 race for Mayor. 2 hr No spin zone 35
What a Joke Chief of The year 3 hr Happy resident 4
R.I.P. Mickey Caliendo 5 hr MPPD 1
Little league allstar game 1959 6 hr Flyboy 2
Redundancy from WILDBILL 9 hr WILDBILL 6
News Motorcyclist still in coma after November accident (Jan '10) 15 hr Frank Longdong 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Grange Mortgages