CACC losing credibility...fast
you need to know

United States

#22 Jul 8, 2012
May be some confusion about certification and college educated. To be a certified teacher a person must have completed all (education related) college courses at a certain school, and have passed state exams to get state license. Now some of the teachers at CACC have this license but MOST do not. Two that I know of and maybe one in the middle school are certified. Working on a degree, or having a degree in whatever, just does not cut it when teaching school. I could go online and get a degree in anything, but that would not make me a teacher. They do have these standards set in place for a reason. Parents need to check this stuff out. You would not send your child to an unlicensed doctor and, likewise, you should not want to put your child in a school that does not have certified teachers. If you have questions about the teachers then go on something like TN.gov and look it up. All teachers are listed on the state website. Be informed....or have undereducated children....its really that simple.
another thing

Sevierville, TN

#23 Jul 8, 2012
another thing to be aware of is at CACC they do not teach print in letters or words! They start out learning cursive writing in kindergarten and most parents think that it is a big deal that their child can write in cursive at such a young age, but the kicker is that ALL books and other materials are in print thus causing major confusion for the child! My child went to CACC for 4 days and it didn't take me but until the 4th day to pull him out due to lack of education (professionally and common sense) on the part of the K teacher! although this was a few years back I assume it's the same lack of education on staff. I was told that because the school is a private school there are no requirements for teaching there other than being a hs grad! If I wanted to toss out a few grand for someone to teach my child it sure wouldn't be someone with no more education than a person flipping burgers at McDonalds! I put my son in the public school system and I must say that I am very happy that I made that move because another student that was in the same class as my son came to the public school starting in 2nd grade and he was having extreme trouble in reading and spelling and CACC doesn't offer any type of SpEd or intervention for anyone for any reason so they had no other choice to take him to public! I'm telling you from experience, if you care about your child's education SEND THEM TO PUBLIC SCHOOLS in this county not CACC. Yes, the Bible study does make it appealing but when your child can't READ the Bible what's the point?! Go to a good church with a great youth program and give your church extra $ in the plate on Sun morning if you just feel like you have to spend the money for Bible study but give them the education the they deserve!!!!
fyi

Nashville, TN

#24 Jul 9, 2012
Yes, the MS teacher is certified. The K teacher has had hers since she started when school opened. 4th grade is staying. She was offered a public school job and turned it down. So more are certified than you THINK....I wouldn't put stuff on here that is "just a rumor" because theres alot of false info on here! I am not on here to argue but tell what I do know....

My child goes there and we love it! The environment is safe and no worries. They have Bible lessons daily and a challenging curriculum. It is great having your child come home to tell you things that they learn at an early age and they don't learn it in the public until years later! They do learn alot and on a fast pace in which we like. Some can't handle that so they go elsewhere so they can keep up.

We are working on our 3rd year there and will stay until high school.
Just a mom wrote:
One of the MS teachers may or may not be certified for special ed. The kindergarten teacher recently received her certification I believe. The 1st grade teacher is certified. The preK teacher is working on hers. I heard that the 4th grade teacher is gone to the public schools. The MS teacher they let go was certified. So the tally including the admin would be 2 maybe 3 certified teachers. The remaining MS teacher and 3rd grade teachers have non education BS degrees plus a lot of experience at the school. Julie I heard only great things about the MS teachers as well, that's why I was shocked when I got a call saying they let one of them go and another is rumored to be thinking about quitting. Then again, that is just a rumor.
Just a mom

La Follette, TN

#25 Jul 9, 2012
fyi, you named 3 and that's what I said. If the 4th grade teacher stays that would make 4. Thanks for verifying. Less than half have their certification. I seriously doubt that the 4th grade teacher would turn down a job making twice as much with benefits. She may not have gotten the job, but she definitely wouldn't turn that down. If she did, I would certainly question her critical thinking skills. Obvious response would be that she's staying "because of the atmosphere". As I said before, over half of the teachers either started at the beginning or during this past year. With all of the teachers either being let go or quitting. That doesn't sound like a good atmosphere to anyone with any common sense. The atmosphere that I felt there was one of uncertainty. If you check the curriculum, it's around $1,000. With the overhead of running the school, the school can only afford to pay the teachers 15-20k with no benefits. No wonder it's a revolving door for teachers. The only things certain there is that if there's a certified teacher, they'll be gone in 1 or 2 years, and the kids will come home with tons of worksheets. As I said before, very disappointed with the low standards for the admin and teachers. With such low standards for the leaders, the standards couldn't be expected to be any higher. I honestly think the low standards are caused by increase costs and decreasing revenue. They'll lose a bunch of money this year by only having 60-70 kids and will have to make some drastic changes. I just grew tired of worrying if the school will still have a MS in the coming years and I shouldn't have to worry.
sam i am

Nashville, TN

#26 Jul 9, 2012
old news wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, and sorry for your loss of all the money you sound like you probably sunk into the place in tuition, but seriously? YEARS ago already, anyone I know that brought up the school in conversation to begin with never had glowing reports about the place, just bad to worse.
It's like this: People that have money to throw away, it's their money to waste, just like it was YOUR choice to waste all of that money that you had. It *really* is that simple.
I get that you're probably upset that you've trashed that much money thinking you were making a wise investment, but seriously? Religion, and religion based business are just that BUSINESS, that literally banks on 'fools born every minute, and simple enough to BUY INTO anything we attach the word "christian" to. Hahahah!"
It works extremely well. Always has.
Good for you that you decided to smarten up, and grow enough to see how it is, and stopped throwing away good money after bad to them. Just be glad about that, and move on!:)
i just want to say i believe just amom is right on , i know the school is a business but in any corp would you really have the mother on the board of your ceo.that is a total conflict of interest.yes the grandmother founded the school but really should the grandaughter be able to run it in the ground just because shes the grandaughter i think no.the mother should recuse herself so should the brother-in-law .the church in question has a problem with the ms teachers husband not the teacher its all political nothing about business.thats the problem.the church is split now and has lost members since they let her husband go.---the board needs to focus on the children and also on the difference a yr has made since mr poston left.this county needs a choice of education.its good for everyone.i agree with the mom if things dont change soon ccac will be no more and thats sad for the entire community.
you need to know

United States

#27 Jul 9, 2012
fyi wrote:
Yes, the MS teacher is certified. The K teacher has had hers since she started when school opened. 4th grade is staying. She was offered a public school job and turned it down. So more are certified than you THINK....I wouldn't put stuff on here that is "just a rumor" because theres alot of false info on here! I am not on here to argue but tell what I do know....
My child goes there and we love it! The environment is safe and no worries. They have Bible lessons daily and a challenging curriculum. It is great having your child come home to tell you things that they learn at an early age and they don't learn it in the public until years later! They do learn alot and on a fast pace in which we like. Some can't handle that so they go elsewhere so they can keep up.
We are working on our 3rd year there and will stay until high school.
<quoted text>
Well, you have one thing wrong. They DONT go elsewhere so they can keep up, they go elsewhere and get tutors to get CAUGHT UP.
YES

Pall Mall, TN

#28 Jul 9, 2012
you need to know wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you have one thing wrong. They DONT go elsewhere so they can keep up, they go elsewhere and get tutors to get CAUGHT UP.
My son went there and that was many year ago. He is 19 now and had to be tutored for a whole year everyday to catch up where he needed to be. I took him out and put him in public school when i saw his report card did not match what his tcap was reading. Took me two years to do this put his dad and i had went threw a divorce and he didn't want to move him to public school. It didn't take a judge long after looking at his report cards for two years and tcap scores to rule in my favor to move him to public school. The kids he was in school with at CACC his freshman year he help tutor to catch them up. Sad but very true.
another thing

Sevierville, TN

#29 Jul 9, 2012
exactly, I have never met or heard of a child that needed to go public because they couldn't keep up, it was always to get caught up to where they needed to be because they were so behind compared to the public school system and that's sad. I've seen 5th/6th graders start in middle school that couldn't read on a 3rd grade level, and that's not something that I would not want my child to experience. Like I said send them public and find a church with a great youth program! Now I would not send my child to cchs, that is a totally different story, but send them public k-8
cacc411

Nashville, TN

#30 Jul 10, 2012
I really do know what goes on up there. Here goes: Historically, the school has been behind in Science. Unfortunately, this is often the case with a christian school due to the whole Biblical slant to things. The MS teacher that was let go was an invaluable asset to that school and was doing amazing things with the pitiful science curriculum that is being taught there. In defense of the school on that particular curriculum, it was misrepresented to Mr. Poston and the faculty (in my opinion) and is one used by many christian schools. However, after the (expensive) purchase of it, those teaching it realized it was vague and actually inaccurate in places. Mrs. Helton corrected problems she saw within the curriculum and did the best she could with it. The students were actually enjoying Science for a change. Their scores proved it. Enough on that. If you do some good research, you will find that overall, the students are academically ahead. The school has had several Valedictorians and Salutatorians in recent graduations in this county and in Claiborne County. Not all students are the same. Some of the ones that go on to public school for whatever reason will struggle just as students struggle at CACC. Learning styles are different. No school system is perfect. Children aren't perfect, parents aren't perfect, and believe me, parents bury their heads like ostriches. At least in the past, CACC has been an alternative. In the past it has had a sweet spirit of learning and worship about it. That hasn't been the case this year. More about business, less about God. The lower school teachers are wonderful. The MS had come a long way. The English curriculum is spot on and advanced. I cannot fathom as to why they let Mrs. Helton go, other than she was the one who was paid the most because she was the most qualified. She was teacher, friend, and mentor to those students. I am not trying to be controversial or preachy and apologize if I come across as such. I'm just trying to give some perspective to the discussion.
you need to know

United States

#31 Jul 10, 2012
You are correct, the science program is terrible. As far as the Valedictorians go, I would think that would be more from really good students and throw a few good genetics in there too. I just wonder want those kids could have done if put in a real challenging school. As you have said, children are not the same. I feel like some of the children are left behind and they are really smart kids. I also think this is because some children are shown more favoritism than others. I personally think the language program is the worst ever. It leaves the smaller children confused until they get to the middle school. The curriculum ,abbeka, is a little behind the times and they are working to update it. Its sad that Ms. Helton was let go. Im sure its nothing to do with her job performance, more like she made someone in administration upset.Thats the way it goes at that school. If they dont like the person,and it dont matter if it is a parent,student, or employee, then they get the shaft. The children are treated by how much their parents donate to the school. Just curious, why would Ms. Helton be paid more? How was she more qualified than the other teachers?
Just a mom

La Follette, TN

#32 Jul 10, 2012
Ms Helton had been there for 2 years and is a certified teacher. Certified teachers get paid more there.
former cacc parent

United States

#33 Jul 11, 2012
I loved this school but after the past year and now finding out about ms helton my child will not be returning.
Just a mom

La Follette, TN

#34 Jul 12, 2012
From what I've heard from other parents, you're not the only one. It'll be interesting to see how they can afford to pay teachers, books, administration, and utilities without raising tuition to 4 or 5k per child. It may have been worth it at one point in time, but definitely not now
Haha

United States

#35 Jul 12, 2012
The economy has destroyed everything in our school systems...whether it be private or public. Public schools in Tennessee are losing hundreds of thousands in each county. CACC has been losing kids since Mr. Postons 3rd or 4th year. Its not the academys fault, its just the fact that middle income families that could afford it, no longer can....including my family.
former cacc parent

United States

#36 Jul 12, 2012
See even with the economy i was making it work so my child could attend. After the last year we had at cacc its not worth the struggle to continue there.
Oh really

Nashville, TN

#37 Jul 14, 2012
Just a mom, you seem to have a lot of information about the school. A couple things were true that you said but most are not. You say a 4th grade teacher was let go? I am assuming you are talking about Tracy? She was not let go, she left for a position in the public school for financial reasons, because she is a mother trying to raise her children alone. She has done a remarkable job with her children and as a teacher at CACC. The teacher they hired, Mr. Dunn is certifyed. The school charges $3150 per year for tuition. Check some of the other private schools and see how much they charge. Grace Christian Academy in Knoxville charges $14000.00 per year. How many of us could pay that? As for the students, right now it stands at 98 kids that are currently registered for this coming school year. There has been some turnover in the school but so has there been in the public schools. I would like for you to get your facts straight before going and spreading half truths. As far as the teacher that did not have a contract renewed, it wasn't just because a movie was shown. There were several reason including parent complaints. I totally agree that you shouldn't send your children back there. If you are that unhappy with their education, you should send them where you feel most comforatable. Just don't try and bring all the rest of the kids with you because of your bad experience. My child goes there and actually was taught by Allison,(one of the uncertified teachers and did very well on the acheivement test. Actually he scored better in her class than he did with his 1st grade.
well

Pall Mall, TN

#38 Jul 14, 2012
"Just a mom" is just a gossip, and I hope she pays out her arse for a bunch of nothing.
sam i am

Nashville, TN

#39 Jul 15, 2012
Oh really wrote:
Just a mom, you seem to have a lot of information about the school. A couple things were true that you said but most are not. You say a 4th grade teacher was let go? I am assuming you are talking about Tracy? She was not let go, she left for a position in the public school for financial reasons, because she is a mother trying to raise her children alone. She has done a remarkable job with her children and as a teacher at CACC. The teacher they hired, Mr. Dunn is certifyed. The school charges $3150 per year for tuition. Check some of the other private schools and see how much they charge. Grace Christian Academy in Knoxville charges $14000.00 per year. How many of us could pay that? As for the students, right now it stands at 98 kids that are currently registered for this coming school year. There has been some turnover in the school but so has there been in the public schools. I would like for you to get your facts straight before going and spreading half truths. As far as the teacher that did not have a contract renewed, it wasn't just because a movie was shown. There were several reason including parent complaints. I totally agree that you shouldn't send your children back there. If you are that unhappy with their education, you should send them where you feel most comforatable. Just don't try and bring all the rest of the kids with you because of your bad experience. My child goes there and actually was taught by Allison,(one of the uncertified teachers and did very well on the acheivement test. Actually he scored better in her class than he did with his 1st grade.
tracy wasnt the forth grade teacher and ms helton had no complaints from anyone.im glad you know how many children are now enrolled,bacause the board nor the teachers left know that.im glad your happy with the school the way it is now but there are alot that are not.hopefully your child didnt eat mashed potatoes on a napkin.its the truth there are pictures.
moronsatCCAC

United States

#40 Jul 15, 2012
If you want your child to be a moron once they get to high school and college, be sure to send your children to a school that doesn't teach a damn thing they will be able to use in the world and when they have to actually look for a real job.

All the Bible crap in the world will not help you add basic numbers. Nor will a Bible education allow you to pass the EOC for biology. You make a choice to give your children a worthless Christian education. How pathetic to spend all that money to keep your child from being exposed to truth, enlightenment, and the ability to make their own decisions about life. You are setting them up for failure. Pathetic people.
Oh really

Nashville, TN

#41 Jul 15, 2012
Pictures? If there were pictures they would have surfaced by now. You are correct about Tracy, and I apologize, she was a middle school teacher. If you have proof regarding the mashed potatoes, I would like to see it. You have no knowledge regarding complaints because I know you are not privvy to that kind of info. I am not going to say that we don't have issues but we are working to make CACC a wonderful place for our children. I know it is easy for some folks to get on here and place gossip, half truths, or plain lies. I don't know what your situation was but I'm sorry you have the attitude you do regarding the school. There is no mandate to put your child in the the school and if you would rather send your child to public school, that is your right. Just know about what you are saying before you say it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Follette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No jobs 1 hr Jackie 15
pam bailey 1 hr Honda gal 1
Ashlie Jordan 1 hr Tonya 3
Bugg Kitts 5 hr Apostle 6
Christa Brandenburg Friend?! 5 hr Donny 3
Lafolette 7 hr Curious 5
CC Atty Donald Brent Gray suspended 9 hr valley guy 7

La Follette Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Follette Mortgages