Wal-Mart or Food City?
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
hello

Dickson, TN

#1 Jul 12, 2010
So after the new food city has been open for awhile now i was wondering which one you prefer shopping at and why.

Personally i choose Wal-Mart. Their prices are still lower then food city and they have much nicer employees. I went and bought a pop from food city in the morning at about 6:20 and didnt leave until 6:45 and thats not because there was a big line, its because there was no cashiers! Finally the most hateful old woman helped checked me out and i felt like slapping her for being so mean and rude. I told her good morning and she just looked up at me and scanned my item then just looked around.

Late night shopping at walmart is the best to. The employees are always willing to help you with anything and always seem hard at work even though they need more employees. I asked a employee how many workers was working and she said that there was 10 stockers that night with a little over 3,000 pieces of product to put out. Thats alot to do for ten people.

So what do you guys think??
Hey

Pall Mall, TN

#2 Jul 12, 2010
Went to Food City last night and there was only 2 cashiers and the lines where backed up and of course they had the self checkout things open but who wants to do that when you have a buggie full of stuff and it keeps saying place item in bag and blah blah blah.. Those things can tick me off.. I want to scream at it saying I put it in the bag stupid!! I think all those ppl they hired they will start laying off and you can't find anything in there and they don't keep alot of stock of items on sale. If its not on the shelf they don't restock your just out of luck...:) Go to walmart and comp what you can
just saying

Pall Mall, TN

#3 Jul 12, 2010
the older ladies at food city are very grumpy and were that way at the old one....i have had so many bad experiences with the old women there i dont even like to see them when i go in there....i love the new store and that is really the only complaint i have...need to get ppl in there that want to be there...get them old hags out if they dont want to be friendly to the customers..
Robin

United States

#4 Jul 12, 2010
Which old lady's are you all talking about? The only one I know of is Anna. They have some nice new cashiers but only a couple seem over the age of 16.
gin

Huntingdon, TN

#5 Jul 12, 2010
Wal-Marts already make enough money. Theres a place that you can look at Wal-Marts Profits for the year. They make so many billion a year. They might have good stock but thats because the rich keep gettin richer and to me it is not right. What happened to the locally owned grocery stores??? Where is the locals profiting from this other than working there? I despise wal-marts although because of there stocks on EVERYTHING I catch myself in there quite often but I would much rather prefer a local store but there aren't any of them to choose from here anymore. The best thing that I have seen come out of walmart is a commercial on TV that says they have a collage program to help employees get a good education. That is just my thought on this
Better store

Dickson, TN

#6 Jul 12, 2010
WAL MART MUCH BETTER THAN FOOD CITY. NO COMPARISON
Hello

Dickson, TN

#7 Jul 12, 2010
gin wrote:
Wal-Marts already make enough money. Theres a place that you can look at Wal-Marts Profits for the year. They make so many billion a year. They might have good stock but thats because the rich keep gettin richer and to me it is not right. What happened to the locally owned grocery stores??? Where is the locals profiting from this other than working there? I despise wal-marts although because of there stocks on EVERYTHING I catch myself in there quite often but I would much rather prefer a local store but there aren't any of them to choose from here anymore. The best thing that I have seen come out of walmart is a commercial on TV that says they have a collage program to help employees get a good education. That is just my thought on this
What is it with Wal-Mart?? Everyone seems to hate them so much but they used to be a small store to. What about Food City?? They are a big chain also and make nice profits. Shopping there doesnt benefit any of the locally owned stores either. And WalMart has much more then just a college program for their employees.
Mom of 3

United States

#8 Jul 12, 2010
Food City has a great selection of products, and a few really good deals. But personally, I'll stick with Wal-Mart. Most of their merchandise is costs less anyway, and they honor competitor's sales prices. Plus, since I usually have an infant and toddler in tow, I'll take the convenience of one-stop shopping any day!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#10 Jul 12, 2010
i love Food City
jesse

United States

#11 Jul 13, 2010
i loke wol-mat a store have a food i bat a pop
anb dronk itt it wus good a loke wol-fart
have pep bab bab food i go by by in a car
a go bu bu and hang my head out the widow
like old pu pu papper
Malinda

Smithville, TN

#12 Jul 13, 2010
If you shop smart, you can save and do well at Food City. They have much more variety and I love having fresh seafood, variety of vegetables and more. It's a good store, if we can keep it.
Meeker

Brentwood, TN

#13 Jul 13, 2010
The produce section at FC is much better. While Walmart may have some items a bit cheaper...there's no comparison in quality. FC trims and bags their own lettuce...they crisp their greens...and daily they go through and trim up everything. Walmart's stuff goes directly from the box to the floor and there it sits until it's thrown away. No prep-work at all.
cake soup

Pall Mall, TN

#14 Jul 13, 2010
when it comes to why there aren't many local food stores to compete that well with WM ONE is the prices, but also it's about customer service. You would think that FC would be revving up that end of their store to make the difference and have a better chance if they really wanted to succeed against WM. Having rude cashiers at all, let alone for YRS and carry them over to their new store? Not smart. LOL That will be the first reason for their failure against WM, here. The meat dept seems to be the same as the old as far as putting "for quick sale" reduced prices on OBVIOUSLY bad meat(s). What, are we that stupid that we would buy meat that screams "hospital stay" for a couple bucks less? THAT problem is the same at the new FC as it was at the old. What's up with that?? LOL **shakes head** Really insulting and shows incredible stupidity of the Meat Dept. and FC in general.
Hello

Dickson, TN

#15 Jul 13, 2010
It is true that food city throws a low price tag on meat to get rid of it quick. They also pull some cakes from the shelf and cut them into individual slices and sell them for another week even though the date is already up they put a new date on there. The best thing in food city is there "deli". They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner and it is cheap and amazing. I love eating there. And to the person who said the produce goes from the box to the shelf is completely wrong. Go there at about 5 or 6 in the morning and watch the sevral workers go at it in produce.
Omg LOL

Pall Mall, TN

#16 Jul 13, 2010
Hello wrote:
It is true that food city throws a low price tag on meat to get rid of it quick. They also pull some cakes from the shelf and cut them into individual slices and sell them for another week even though the date is already up they put a new date on there.
I don't have a prob with close to date selling of meat that's still good but it's close to date so it needs to get sold quickly.

MY problem is (and I'm not the only one as I've seen others posts that noticed the same thing) point was they need to THROW IT OUT, not reprice it and worse expect people to buy it, when it's got nasty green and gray spots on it - it's disgusting, on a FEW levels! I've seen that way too often both at the old, and now at the new FC. A customer should NEVER be seeing that at ANY meat dept. let alone a brand spanking new one.
come to think of it

Pall Mall, TN

#17 Jul 13, 2010
.... what are they thinking? That if someone that bought that 'reduced priced' meat that you know is nasty just by looking at it and it has the obvious signs of it being bad (not just close to the sell by date)and ended up in the hospital for it they could say "You saw the nasty green on it and bought and ate it anyway, so that's on YOU!" ?? Well... they would be right when it comes to the really obvious bad meat when you see it, but still. Something more then those bad meats smells bad about the 'attitude' behind putting it out there to sell at all.

Gotta wonder.

Oh and those cut up cakes that are OLD. I bought them exactly twice. Definitely tasted stale and dried out. What's up with that? Can't cut up a fresh cake and sell single serving slices for a decent price instead? Again, not smart, insulting to customers intelligence and in the end/long run, like the meat dept, will kill their profits.

A pig is a pig no matter you dress it up in a shiny new expensive dress. Hope they get a clue. If not, then they deserve to lose and get shut down due to lack of enough business.
Yeah Right

Paducah, KY

#18 Jul 13, 2010
I work at Wal-Mart and yes Wal-Mart has an education scholarship for their employees but its only for high school graduates or older people who have been out of school for a while, like me i had been in college previously and in order for me to get the scholarship i would have had to sit out of college a couple of years before i could even apply for the scholarship, its such bull crap.
the true

United States

#19 Jul 13, 2010
jesse wrote:
i loke wol-mat a store have a food i bat a pop
anb dronk itt it wus good a loke wol-fart
have pep bab bab food i go by by in a car
a go bu bu and hang my head out the widow
like old pu pu papper
jesse are you on drugs you need help get your mom to help
you spell i know you do not write books you can't spell
shit you dumb ass
Capatalist

Murfreesboro, TN

#20 Jul 13, 2010
gin wrote:
Another commie worried that someone is getting "rich". This is America and people are allowed to make as much money as they want. If there was any money to be made as a local grocery store, you can bet someone would open one.
Jed

Pall Mall, TN

#21 Jul 15, 2010
Meeker wrote:
The produce section at FC is much better. While Walmart may have some items a bit cheaper...there's no comparison in quality. FC trims and bags their own lettuce...they crisp their greens...and daily they go through and trim up everything. Walmart's stuff goes directly from the box to the floor and there it sits until it's thrown away. No prep-work at all.
I do know that the fresh greens such as mustard green,turnip greens, romain, parsley and so on is crisped every night.The volume of produce being sold each day is so great that, it is some times hard to keep the shelves full.But i assure you that is not for lack of effort from the Walmart associates. This holds true for all walmart associates in all departments.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Follette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tom Hatmaker and Laura Braden Singleton 1 hr anonymous122 1
Steve Lawson READ THIS 2 hr Jack 5
More trouble at animal shelter? (Apr '15) 2 hr Betsy 85
Amanda Lay Riggs 5 hr Michelle 9
john franklin and january arthor 5 hr Sean 4
Donald Trump WINS! The 1st hundred days! 6 hr Joshua Ferra 21
cumberland view nursing home ?? (Jul '14) 6 hr OhMy 15

La Follette Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance