First Prev
of 8
Next Last
disgruntled cashier

Knoxville, TN

#1 Sep 6, 2012
I work in a local gas station. Every time I turn around there is some moron with a foodstamp card trying to buy fountain drinks with their EBT card. Like today, had some trashy people come in. Dude made sure he got his beer and his cigs. They could pay cash for that. But chick came up to the counter with her 3 fountain drinks and when I told her no, they will not ring up on the register as foodstamp items, she threw a hissy! "Well everywhere else lets me buy them!" is the first thing out of these people's mouths too. When I proceeded to tell her that our fountain drinks are considered items that can be consumed in the store and therefore are not purchasable, that further pissed her off.

I could tell that she was on something and the guy she was with was already slightly drunk. And what's worse is they had three little kids in the car with them! So she goes on about how I was going to waste those drinks instead of letting her HAVE them! Oh, the gall of some of these people!

I wanted to tell her that I was already letting her have a share of my tax payer money so she could get her 800 dollars a month that I seen as the balance she had left on her card, but you know how that goes.....foodstamp trash customer is always right, right? So much to her dismay, I poured the drinks out in the drain and let her and her drunk husband pout about it as they left.

Also have the same problem out of energy drinks. They can't buy the ones that have supplemental on the label. It has to have nutritional on its label before they can buy it....which leads me to wonder WHY on Earth are they allowed to buy energy drinks with their foodstamp card?

I'm not knocking the actual people that need and deserve the assistance. I've actually had EBT a couple of times in my life when I was in between jobs or had a job that was only part-time and I was making low wages. I'm single and I can imagine that it's even tougher for a struggling mom or father, especially if they are single.

I just wish that there would be a revamp on the system. It's too easy to abuse it and it's too easy for people on drugs to get stamp cards that they can sell for cash to buy pills and meth with. I am one for drug testing for government assistance. I hope that mandatory drug testing passes through Nashville eventually. Maybe it will cut back on some of the trash that doesn't need to be getting this assistance and are riding our state government to the brink of bankruptcy!
judge judy

Bellevue, WA

#2 Sep 6, 2012
AMEN to that..from womb to tomb as they say..milk the system & keep reproducing poor kids into that cycle..when is it gonna stop
igetthem

La Follette, TN

#3 Sep 6, 2012
disgruntled cashier wrote:
I work in a local gas station. Every time I turn around there is some moron with a foodstamp card trying to buy fountain drinks with their EBT card. Like today, had some trashy people come in. Dude made sure he got his beer and his cigs. They could pay cash for that. But chick came up to the counter with her 3 fountain drinks and when I told her no, they will not ring up on the register as foodstamp items, she threw a hissy! "Well everywhere else lets me buy them!" is the first thing out of these people's mouths too. When I proceeded to tell her that our fountain drinks are considered items that can be consumed in the store and therefore are not purchasable, that further pissed her off.
I could tell that she was on something and the guy she was with was already slightly drunk. And what's worse is they had three little kids in the car with them! So she goes on about how I was going to waste those drinks instead of letting her HAVE them! Oh, the gall of some of these people!
I wanted to tell her that I was already letting her have a share of my tax payer money so she could get her 800 dollars a month that I seen as the balance she had left on her card, but you know how that goes.....foodstamp trash customer is always right, right? So much to her dismay, I poured the drinks out in the drain and let her and her drunk husband pout about it as they left.
Also have the same problem out of energy drinks. They can't buy the ones that have supplemental on the label. It has to have nutritional on its label before they can buy it....which leads me to wonder WHY on Earth are they allowed to buy energy drinks with their foodstamp card?
I'm not knocking the actual people that need and deserve the assistance. I've actually had EBT a couple of times in my life when I was in between jobs or had a job that was only part-time and I was making low wages. I'm single and I can imagine that it's even tougher for a struggling mom or father, especially if they are single.
I just wish that there would be a revamp on the system. It's too easy to abuse it and it's too easy for people on drugs to get stamp cards that they can sell for cash to buy pills and meth with. I am one for drug testing for government assistance. I hope that mandatory drug testing passes through Nashville eventually. Maybe it will cut back on some of the trash that doesn't need to be getting this assistance and are riding our state government to the brink of bankruptcy!
I completely understand what you are saying and I GET FOOD STAMPS. I work at a low wage job and I have three children. I didn't always work for minimum wage tho and I didn't have my children when I was getting food stamps. When I get mine each month I buy meat, fruits, veggies, etc because in my personal opinion if I could afford to buy junk food with them then I wouldn't really need them in the first place.

La Follette, TN

#4 Sep 6, 2012
The most embarrassing thing ever is when you realize that you think you know the couple in the story. SMH.
proud too getsfoodstamps

United States

#5 Sep 6, 2012
hell yeah i get foodstamps why the #uck wood I wirk in this chithole county for chicen chit.when i can draw get stamps.
Tim

United States

#6 Sep 6, 2012
I for one don't blame anyone for getting or trying to get food stamps they eat better than I do I work a full time job that pays decent but after you pay the bills and get enough food to do you till payday your broke as hell and barely getting by just because how expensive every thing has gotten so really the people that get government assistance actually live better than I do so actually other than having a little pride about my self I'm not so sure if the people that do get the assistance are not the smart ones these days
Be careful

Marion, NC

#7 Sep 6, 2012
Why in the world would someone work where they know the population they will serve, then bash the very people that keep them in a job. Most businesses thrive on food stamps and monthly checks. If you truly support drug testing for entitlement programs, you are cutting your own throat. And it will not deter the drug use one bit.
agree with some

Jacksboro, TN

#8 Sep 6, 2012
amen to some of this. people should not abuse the system but i do not agree with pouring out the drinks.i would but the reason i cant is because you said she had 3fountain drinks but you also stated she had 3little kids in her car,so what if they were for the kids? that would be enough for me to take out of pocket and pay myself. but they should care more for the kids instead of getting their beer and stuff but not every child is fortunate enough to be raised in a good home with parents who care more about them than theirselves but for the most part i agree with you and the customer is not always right. sometimes our bosses are just to dumb to realize that!
so damn dumb

Jacksboro, TN

#9 Sep 6, 2012
proud too getsfoodstamps wrote:
hell yeah i get foodstamps why the #uck wood I wirk in this chithole county for chicen chit.when i can draw get stamps.
i do not mean this is reason why everyone gets stamps cause some people need help but i can say this is why YOU get stamps because your to damn dumb to work.if you cant spell would-work-shithole-chicken-sh it then you do not belong on here talking to us because no one can understand you.now that we know how you get your food,how do you pay your internet bill? you have to work the corner behind lindsays furniture?
nope

La Follette, TN

#10 Sep 6, 2012
agree with some wrote:
<quoted text> amen to some of this. people should not abuse the system but i do not agree with pouring out the drinks.i would but the reason i cant is because you said she had 3fountain drinks but you also stated she had 3little kids in her car,so what if they were for the kids? that would be enough for me to take out of pocket and pay myself. but they should care more for the kids instead of getting their beer and stuff but not every child is fortunate enough to be raised in a good home with parents who care more about them than theirselves but for the most part i agree with you and the customer is not always right. sometimes our bosses are just to dumb to realize that!
and here I don't agree with your take either. damn right pour them out, and if they were for the kids then tell her she can buy JUICE for them which she should be buying them to drink instead of 'liquid candy' ZERO nutritional value, in the first place. you're no smarter then she was. you 'feel for the kids' then use the position the cashier was in to steer her in the right direction. smh
nope

La Follette, TN

#11 Sep 6, 2012
and hey 'cashier'... you noticed there were 3 kids in the car... when they left did you notice if the 'half drunk' dad/husband (whatever) pos got behind the wheel to drive? if he did, did YOU call 911 to have him stopped? No doubt you'll read this and even though you saw him drive off drunk with those kids in the car especially, you'll say you didn't...'other people in line','i was working' blah blah whatever.

you see... YOU can get all righteous and as pissed off 'disgruntled' all you want, but are you REALLY doing YOUR part in helping the kids in that car? middle of the day, he's drunk, she's pissed because you won't let her have/give her the fountain soda... did YOU tell her what she already knows, but REMIND her you'd be happy to ring up JUICE you sell in there for her? Betting not.

So yes... you as well as here do NOTHING for the kids. Kudos
i agree

Jacksboro, TN

#12 Sep 6, 2012
im a single mother, i get food stamps. and it would be nice to have 800 dollars a month for my children. i dont care if i eat as long as they eat good. i work also and feed them and take care of them, the stamps offer extra assistance. i have no help from the father what so ever...all my kids have the same father. and i promise you now i hope they bring the drug testing too cause i can pass that test anyday. i dont drink do drugs, or ANYTHING. First of all i would never do any of that with a kid...second of all...ive been in a conveniant store many of times and something wont ring up on food stamps so i politely say okay and whip out my wallet and pay cash for it! i agree...some people abuse the system. the real sadness here is those kids sitting in the car who are innocent with probably not a clue in the world as to whats going on except for knowing somehow its wrong! your right, some of us need it...some people dont need it. and its not the cashiers fault if its not covered! eeeeeekkkkkkkkk some peoples nerve! where do you work at? just curious
want two

United States

#13 Sep 6, 2012
hay #uckers u wont too buy sum foodstamps
anybody know

La Follette, TN

#14 Sep 6, 2012
I can't begin to understand what corruption is at work (exactly which office(s)/depts) that drug testing wasn't a no-brainer GIVEN from day one in the eligibility process... SMDH. What's up with that??? SERIOUSLY.
anybody know

La Follette, TN

#15 Sep 6, 2012
GIVEN, meaning MANDATE

which office(s)/depts, meaning GOV'T.

even if drug abuse/asst scamming wasn't as ever rampant as it is now what's the EXCUSE for it not being mandated NOW?? And, for quite some time at that, because around here it's certainly isn't anywhere near a NEW problem. SMDH
agree with some

Jacksboro, TN

#16 Sep 6, 2012
nope wrote:
<quoted text>
and here I don't agree with your take either. damn right pour them out, and if they were for the kids then tell her she can buy JUICE for them which she should be buying them to drink instead of 'liquid candy' ZERO nutritional value, in the first place. you're no smarter then she was. you 'feel for the kids' then use the position the cashier was in to steer her in the right direction. smh
i wasnt saying anything rude at all.but just cause their mom and dad are a couple of low lifes that is still no reason to hurt the kids.the kids are innocent and can not help what their parents do.and like everyone else-you were a kid once.im sure you wanted candy.im sure you got candy.to get something you had to depend on an adult right?right!and what the hell.pour them out,do you have kids? what if they were your kids?no smarter than she was-you dont know me.im obviously smarter than you because i was only saying think about the kids and for you to pretty much say let the kids suffer because their parents cant pay is bullshit. dont disrespect me on some intelligence bull because i never implied that someone is dumb.its people like you that make the world go to shit.i wasnt being rude anywhere in my message and even said i agree with some. so to attack me for only thinking of a child proves you are nothing.i was in the position as the cashier for 11years and i saw many similar positions and always tried to make it right.im sorry that i care more about people than you and the only thing i have left for you is that your mom shouldve swallowed that load because you are a heartless person
to fool of above post

La Follette, TN

#17 Sep 6, 2012
Yep. You're ignorant, alright. They didn't say one word about being rude, and only said to help the woman choose better by dumping the sodas that she couldn't buy with FS, and suggesting to her to buy juice, that she could buy with food stamps and that juice is far more healthy. So YES, and I agree, that IS caring about those children and it would have also helped the mom be a better mom by helping her make better decisions about her kids health thru eating and drinking better then fountain drinks. MORON it's people like you and the stupid mom that is making this world FOR the children go to shit.
Be careful

Grandview, TN

#18 Sep 6, 2012
Drug tests will cost money and people will have to be hired to administer them making it not very cost effective considering that an FDIC check is not very much. We still live in a country that tries to take care of it's children, regardless. Now, on the other hand, checks are spent on the first of every month, there can be no argument there, just try to get through any store or drive down the road and one can clearly see that the economy is stimulated on the first day of every month. People who work do not tend to spend money in that manner. The last reason I don't believe the government should drug test recipients of entitlement money is due to the fact that they are already suppose to loose their benefits if they are arrested and found guilty of drug activity, which means they are probably going to have a prescription from a doctor anyway if they haven't been in trouble for it already. So it will wound up costing tax layers more, and I guarantee, if the government does anything it will cost us, think about it.
okay but

La Follette, TN

#19 Sep 6, 2012
It would create more jobs then, and the saving of state asst scamming would be paying those salaries, at the same time cleaning up the problem of scamming. Pushes drug abusers closer to rehab as their scam getting shut down, shuts down their avenue to 'way of life'.

People with legit prescriptions abuse them all the time. Not all but I would feel safe to bet that most here do. THOSE names are registered in Dr. databases - this is how clinics discover, and keep track of 'seekers' etc. Now, those people are not arrested so would show no record of criminal drug activity but would definitely fail at their state asst scamming hence CUT OFF as they should be. So suffice it to say, STATE should be partnered with physician database.

They cannot/will not go into rehab as they should to KEEP their children then they can go to jail and their children into foster care where again state assistance helps the children OUT OF the circumstances of this issue being generational as it is here. Gives the children a better chance at breaking the generational chain. How is that not cost effective?? Creates jobs, saves TONS of money (drug testing is NOT anywhere near as expensive as the scamming is..) and how many getting busted and cut off thru those means do you think it will take before the rest of them damn well knowing they are scamming will stop themselves to AVOID jail as they will see that this type of change will stop them so UH OH.... "straighten up OR ELSE" really MEANS something.

Damn right...DRUG TEST and PHYSICIAN DATABASE partnership.

Save the children.
okay but

La Follette, TN

#20 Sep 6, 2012
...and, let us not forget those that are scamming WILL then have created a criminal record for themselves as INSTA prosecution and conviction for FRAUD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Follette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darling Sanya 14 min wow 6
Marie Ayers paved road with county money 2 hr likeitreallyis 25
Douala tire shop 5 hr momof2 2
Is Patrick pebley a pedophile?! 10 hr puffy 9
Jobs for cash 12 hr Janice 11
Adult World 15 hr Stonerguy86 3
Thoughts on Patrick pebley? 17 hr Ckt 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

La Follette Mortgages