physician assisted suicide

physician assisted suicide

Posted in the La Follette Forum

citizen

United States

#1 Mar 15, 2012
What are your views on this? I know it is very controversial, but please keep it clean in your posts. Would you want your loved one to be stuck here, in chronic debilitating pain, not mental but physical, without any choice?
clearthelandscap e

Milwaukee, WI

#2 Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, we should have the right to die with dignity just as we have the right to deny ressusitation, treatment, life support, organ donation.
areyousrs

United States

#3 Mar 15, 2012
That wouldn't go over well. I personally see nothing wrong with wanting to go if you're in pain and you're dieing slow, but what type of physician would take on that responsibility?
Then again, there are docs like michael jacksons. I'm sure someone would.
Anonymous

Monroe, NC

#4 Mar 15, 2012
I believe the argument against it is a religious one, there is nothing wrong with ending pain and suffering. I find it more compassionate than watching someone suffer. Why in the world would we be more compassionate to an animal suffering than our own loved ones?
oh boy

Nashville, TN

#5 Mar 15, 2012
areyousrs wrote:
That wouldn't go over well. I personally see nothing wrong with wanting to go if you're in pain and you're dieing slow, but what type of physician would take on that responsibility?
Then again, there are docs like michael jacksons. I'm sure someone would.
..."docs like MJ's", implying his death was a physician assisted suicide. Clueless twit.

Anyway...

The 'Kavorkian' debate. Someone that wants to die, doesn't need a physician to get it done. With google et al, and resourcefulness and motivation of one that wants to end their pain thru intentional drug OD suicide why directly involve a particular physician or any physician, when it isn't necessary?
Anonymous

Monroe, NC

#6 Mar 16, 2012
oh boy wrote:
<quoted text>..."docs like MJ's", implying his death was a physician assisted suicide. Clueless twit.

Anyway...

The 'Kavorkian' debate. Someone that wants to die, doesn't need a physician to get it done. With google et al, and resourcefulness and motivation of one that wants to end their pain thru intentional drug OD suicide why directly involve a particular physician or any physician, when it isn't necessary?
they use a physician so they can make sure it's done right. No coma, disfigurement and paralysis.
MichalKane

Milwaukee, WI

#7 Mar 16, 2012
suicide kit like in Children Of Men would work.
citizen

United States

#8 Mar 16, 2012
I'm not asking about traditional suicide. I don't know if I really see it as the same thing. Hospice kills you.. fast and painless. That is legal.
yes

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Mar 16, 2012
you should be able to die with dignity.i grew up on a farm and we did not let our animals suffer.so why shouldnt a person have that same right.also in states where this is legal people who use this right say that it is a blessing to be able to have your loved ones around in the end.a doctors first oath is to first do no harm.letting somebody spend their last times on this earth in extreme pain and not knowing is more harmful then letting them go with dignity.anybody who does not agree with death with dignity law has never watched as a loved one suffered till the end and past away with a look of pain instead of love and comfort
Anonymous

United States

#10 Mar 16, 2012
yes wrote:
you should be able to die with dignity.i grew up on a farm and we did not let our animals suffer.so why shouldnt a person have that same right.also in states where this is legal people who use this right say that it is a blessing to be able to have your loved ones around in the end.a doctors first oath is to first do no harm.letting somebody spend their last times on this earth in extreme pain and not knowing is more harmful then letting them go with dignity.anybody who does not agree with death with dignity law has never watched as a loved one suffered till the end and past away with a look of pain instead of love and comfort
oh yeah, it's not fun to die slowly losing functions crapping on yourself and everything. That's definitely doing harm I think. Infection set in an slowly kill someone that's horrible.
hold up

Nashville, TN

#11 Mar 16, 2012
citizen wrote:
I'm not asking about traditional suicide. I don't know if I really see it as the same thing. Hospice kills you.. fast and painless. That is legal.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "Hospice kills you... fast and painless. That is legal." Could be read different ways. I've had friends that have had a family member in a hospice and that patient lingered on for a LONG time. Longer then was expected if I remember correctly. Another that opted not to go into hospice but die at home. His wife was a college classmate of mine. By the end of the first week home, he was WREATHING in pain 24/7, private nurses came in one/twice a day gave him morphine that would calm him but for not near enough. He died literally screaming and clawing the wall. I will never forget how horribly stressful it was to even HEAR about it. I just will never get why the nurses didn't just keep upping the morphine until actually it's a morphine OD that ends it all quietly/peacefully without the "officially assisted" illegal aspect of it.
yes

Murfreesboro, TN

#12 Mar 16, 2012
there are also some ways that people die and pain medication does nothing for the pain like brain cancer.i heard of a guy who died of that and his eyeballs had actually popped out of his head from the cancer before he even died.that is not a dignified death.he begged and begged for someone to help him and nobody would.if he had been a dog off the sreet at the pound even they have enough respect to just end it for the poor animal is suffering.why do we let people suffer like this?life in itself is hard enough without being able to die peacfully as possible.death with dignity is a human right in my mind and i wish somebody would try to get a law passed in tennessee for death with dignity

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13 Nov 26, 2012
I'd rather die in combat or get vaporized in a direct N-explosion...than to die of some long complicated painful illness...

1.First the symptomns...
2.Then the pain, effects of illness...
3.Then the doc visits, diagnosis...
4.Then the medication and treatment...
5.Then the funds dwindle, ability to earn dwindles..
6.Then dependency on others for help increases...assuming you even have 'others'...
7.Depression sets in, mass mood swings...
8.At this time you discover who people really are...and what you meant to them...

And then after this...who knows...

Faceing ones own mortality can indeed be scary...

“what's your major malfunction?”

Since: Aug 12

San Diego, California

#14 Nov 26, 2012
Time and Space wrote:
I'd rather die in combat or get vaporized in a direct N-explosion...than to die of some long complicated painful illness...

1.First the symptomns...
2.Then the pain, effects of illness...
3.Then the doc visits, diagnosis...
4.Then the medication and treatment...
5.Then the funds dwindle, ability to earn dwindles..
6.Then dependency on others for help increases...assuming you even have 'others'...
7.Depression sets in, mass mood swings...
8.At this time you discover who people really are...and what you meant to them...

And then after this...who knows...

Faceing ones own mortality can indeed be scary...
losing ones independence can feel like death already. I would much rather have a compassionate death being peacefully placed under medication and drift off to sleep. People choose every day to not be resuscitated, as mentioned before, but if paralyzed or debilitated where one could not choose their time to go it would be helpful for a doctor to be there to make it peaceful. I believe it's no different than placing a person in a coma state to relieve painful ending. They know they are going to die and make it peaceful, but what if that family member lingers in coma state for weeks or years charging their medical bills so high their family cannot afford the bills. Me, I wouldn't want that for my family. If rather leave them with all the benefits and savings I could than have them go to extremes and dwindle away all I worked for to pass on to my child. Sometimes people want a selfless death.

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Location hidden

#15 Nov 27, 2012
Watch...pretty soon, technology will make it against the law to 'die'...

As long as technology can keep you alive...they'll, in the future, pass a law that says 'dyeing is against the law'...

Stranger things have happened...

“what's your major malfunction?”

Since: Aug 12

San Diego, California

#16 Nov 28, 2012
Time and Space wrote:
Watch...pretty soon, technology will make it against the law to 'die'...

As long as technology can keep you alive...they'll, in the future, pass a law that says 'dyeing is against the law'...

Stranger things have happened...
lol wow. That would be interesting. You remember that movie with robin Williams the robot, they chose when to die on machines that kept them alive?

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Location hidden

#17 Nov 28, 2012
The 'church'...has done a great, very good job, at embedding in many peoples conscious this idea that if you take your life prematurely, regardless of circumstances, that it's a automatic ticket to 'hll'...

Almost sounds cartoonish...but amazing how that plays in the back of many peoples minds..

I mean if I'm shooved out of an airplane...with no parachute...and ground is approaching...and hv hndgn in pocket...

would I rather take my own life, before I hit the ground...or wait, and let the impact do it...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Follette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
raven roberts 4 hr kkk 7
What's with the police here? 5 hr Valley Guy 11
john franklin and january arthor 5 hr Mitch 2
April Runyon 6 hr Well darn 3
misty anderson (Mar '12) 7 hr Misty Anderson 5
Sexiest Women in CC...... (Jul '16) 9 hr saw them to 55
More trouble at animal shelter? (Apr '15) 11 hr Makeit 83

La Follette Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance