Snake-handling resolution fails, pastor continues to challenge law

Jul 17, 2012 Read more: WBIR-TV Knoxville 64

Andrew Hamblin is the pastor of the Tabernacle Church of God in La Follette, where he routinely handles snakes during services.

Read more
run forest run lol

La Follette, TN

#42 Jan 12, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>yea i am not in your classroom. it will take a miracle to get those nasty wrinkles off your devil face . yupp i love my invisible friend he is awsome. too bad you will be burning in hell with your other pagan and retarted friends. maybe you can get a date with hitler he will be waiting on you. you will have all kinds of choices of men. you will be able to finally get a date hope you like your meat well done. lmbo
You're that same freak that was on those TB threads from a while ago... all obsessed about wrinkles and 'retarts', claiming to be so 'christian'. Who's hurt you so bad about your severe deficit of intelligence, and haggard appearance, that you can't help yourself to stop projecting your terrible self image upon whomever you can get your hands on?? It really sounds like maybe someone with a/the church, because people that respect their religious beliefs do not speak nor behave as you do. In effect, all you've done is support the stance that religion, namely christianity, is a collective evil.
wow

Henderson, NC

#43 Jan 12, 2013
run forest run lol wrote:
<quoted text>
You're that same freak that was on those TB threads from a while ago... all obsessed about wrinkles and 'retarts', claiming to be so 'christian'. Who's hurt you so bad about your severe deficit of intelligence, and haggard appearance, that you can't help yourself to stop projecting your terrible self image upon whomever you can get your hands on?? It really sounds like maybe someone with a/the church, because people that respect their religious beliefs do not speak nor behave as you do. In effect, all you've done is support the stance that religion, namely christianity, is a collective evil.
well here is another retart on the seen. "another devil"
it really would not matter what i say. you would have some thing to say about it. there is nothing wrong with me telling a God hater or disbeliever what i think of there nasty mouth against our Lord if you don't like it thats tough tiddy don't be on here reading these forums. i can say "wrinkles" all i want. any church that i go to has nothing to do with what i say. i call it as i see it!!!!!!!!!!
wow

Henderson, NC

#44 Jan 12, 2013
run forest run lol wrote:
<quoted text>
You're that same freak that was on those TB threads from a while ago... all obsessed about wrinkles and 'retarts', claiming to be so 'christian'. Who's hurt you so bad about your severe deficit of intelligence, and haggard appearance, that you can't help yourself to stop projecting your terrible self image upon whomever you can get your hands on?? It really sounds like maybe someone with a/the church, because people that respect their religious beliefs do not speak nor behave as you do. In effect, all you've done is support the stance that religion, namely christianity, is a collective evil.
i think we all know who the real freaks are on here. the witches , devils and pagans.
cast thee out

La Follette, TN

#45 Jan 12, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text> well here is another retart on the seen. "another devil"
it really would not matter what i say. you would have some thing to say about it. there is nothing wrong with me telling a God hater or disbeliever what i think of there nasty mouth against our Lord if you don't like it thats tough tiddy don't be on here reading these forums. i can say "wrinkles" all i want. any church that i go to has nothing to do with what i say. i call it as i see it!!!!!!!!!!
ur funny 'wow' the satan worshipper lol you fool no one as to what ur really about but keep wasting ur keystrokes a good laugh is always welcome lol!
ahahahaha

La Follette, TN

#46 Jan 13, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>i think we all know who the real freaks are on here. the witches , devils and pagans.
You should know as you've chosen the devil to be your master. Pagans and witches got nothing on you lol... and, you don't think GOD knows that about you.. LOL Who's the retarT??? LMAO!

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#47 Jan 13, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>i think we all know who the real freaks are on here. the witches , devils and pagans.
LOL! But YOU, however, are completely normal since you believe in an invisible superbeing who is your friend/parent?
Oh yes...and are afraid of wrinkles, getting old and dying...

You are definitely "special."
Capri

Knoxville, TN

#48 Nov 16, 2013
That poor little preacher would fart his socks off in public just to draw a crowd, get some attention. He'll soon find out how insignificant he is.
question

Jacksboro, TN

#49 Nov 17, 2013
Capri wrote:
That poor little preacher would fart his socks off in public just to draw a crowd, get some attention. He'll soon find out how insignificant he is.
Why do you figure National Geographic - a long standing respectable and respected media outlet for decades - chose to help Hamblin put his self- and southern society over all- embarrassment on national blast?

Ratings? Waaaay closer to Springer, and MTV type fodder, which is the polar opposite of National Geo imo, so I just don't get it...

Definitely has me disappointed in National Geographic in a big way, and SMH... and, I'm not even Southern. Maybe it was a smooth side door way so to speak in getting him on blast nationally to use against him on a state, and national gov't level, so as to gain attention TO him that's needed to get him and his dangerous idiocy shut down? I surely hope that was their reasoning.
angel

La Follette, TN

#50 Nov 23, 2013
Leave them alone. If you don't believe then don't go. Pretty simple. People need to learn to mind their own business. To many people looking at other peoples life, when they need to be taking care of their own.
LOLOL

Jacksboro, TN

#51 Nov 23, 2013
omg another one too stupid to function anywhere near normal

NEWSFLASH: don't want anyone knowing your business THEN DON'T PUT YOUR BUSINESS ON GLOBAL TV AND INTERNET MEDIA BLAST BEGGING FOR IT.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#52 Nov 23, 2013
LOLOL wrote:
omg another one too stupid to function anywhere near normal
NEWSFLASH: don't want anyone knowing your business THEN DON'T PUT YOUR BUSINESS ON GLOBAL TV AND INTERNET MEDIA BLAST BEGGING FOR IT.
Excellent point!

But for some, who only care that they ARE being talked about, this quote applies:

"There is no such thing as bad publicity."
relieved

Jacksboro, TN

#53 Nov 23, 2013
question wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you figure National Geographic - a long standing respectable and respected media outlet for decades - chose to help Hamblin put his self- and southern society over all- embarrassment on national blast?
Ratings? Waaaay closer to Springer, and MTV type fodder, which is the polar opposite of National Geo imo, so I just don't get it...
Definitely has me disappointed in National Geographic in a big way, and SMH... and, I'm not even Southern. Maybe it was a smooth side door way so to speak in getting him on blast nationally to use against him on a state, and national gov't level, so as to gain attention TO him that's needed to get him and his dangerous idiocy shut down? I surely hope that was their reasoning.
The way it's turned out, and turning out as we speak, it definitely looks like that's exactly why they answered his begging to be aired.

KUDOS NAT GEO!
LOL hear ye

Jacksboro, TN

#54 Nov 23, 2013
Straight from WLAF last week in case anyone missed it:

"Boomer's Corner" By Charles "Boomer" Winfrey

Iíve avoided going near the Campbell County Courthouse this morning. Pastor Andrew Hamblin is due in court today and I tend to steer clear of anything that encourages a media circus.

Circus is the operative word here, and it has been one long circus ever since the young preacher approached county commissioners a few months back to ask their blessing on his congregationís practice of handling venomous snakes in their church services.

The squires, naturally, wouldnít touch that with a ten-foot snake loop, but Reverend Hamblin generated enough publicity to get his church a reality show on the National Geographic Channel.

While National Geographic has made tremendous contributions through the years toward exploration of our planet and scientific research, donít forget that they made their reputation back in the pre-Playboy days by being the magazine where young boys could get their first view of a bare female breast, compliments of photos of primitive cultures. Looks like not much has changed in the past century or so.

Itís becoming more and more apparent that Andrew Hamblin isnít simply interested in seeing himself in the headlines, but is out to change the laws regarding possession of poisonous reptiles in religious services. His appearances on television were akin to putting out a sign reading,ďSnake handling done here. Arrest me if you dare!Ē

TWRA officers had little choice under the circumstances. Law enforcement officials in Tennessee and other Appalachian states have always tried to cast a blind eye on the practice of snake handling as long as it remained low key. Arrests and prosecutions have generally occurred only when someone is bitten and either dies or is hospitalized as a result.

But a reality show on national television? Nothing for it but to make the bust and let the wheels of justice run their course.

This is the classic conflict between those Christians who accept the Bible figuratively and those who take the Word literally. For most Christians and Jews, the promise of the Bible that if you have enough faith, you can take up venomous serpents and drink poisonous drink without fear means that with faith, you need not fear death for there is a better world waiting on the other side.

The words are taken figuratively, as guidance for the importance of faith. For Andrew Hamblin and others who take the Good Book literally, what it says is how it is, period. God created the Earth and everything in it in six days and rested on the seventh, scientific evidence notwithstanding. Ignore the fact that we humans have no idea how long Godís day is in our earth-bound hours.

Likewise, if with sufficient faith, you need not fear the bite of poisonous serpents, the Bible is telling you to go out a kiss a Cobra. It wonít dare bite the faithful, only we heathens who harbor doubt in our hearts.

The multitude of state laws that restrict the possession of venomous snakes along with other wild animals were not always on the books. Snake handling was frowned upon but tolerated in many places for years. It is not the simple act of handling snakes by a handful of pastors and church leaders that resulted in many of the legal barriers to the practice, but the potential for abuse.

When some Pentecostal churches began allowing small children to participate in the practice, authorities decided they were overstepping their bounds. One incident that I read about some years ago in a book on snake handling was the spark behind many of the laws that were passed to suppress the practice.

One particular snake-handling minister lived on top of Sand Mountain in northern Alabama. His church followed the practice, and he often traveled into East Tennessee, eastern Kentucky and West Virginia to participate with other congregations, transporting poisonous snakes he caught to be used in those services.

(cont...)
LOL hear ye

Jacksboro, TN

#55 Nov 23, 2013
His wife, unfortunately, did not share his particular brand of worship and usually remained home when her husband went on his frequent trips. At some point in time, the minister suspected his wife of being unfaithful. She denied his accusations , but to test her truthfulness, the pastor demanded that she place her arm inside a cage containing half a dozen freshly-caught timber rattlers and copperheads.

ďIf youíre being honest,Ē he supposedly claimed,ďYour faith will sustain you and no harm will come to you.Ē

The wife, despite her fear of the snakes, obviously wanted to reassure her husband and save her marriage. She placed her arm in the cage, was promptly bitten two or three times, and when the suspicious husband refused to seek medical treatment for her, she died.

The preacher was placed on trial for first-degree murder. His defense was that his religious beliefs led him to believe his wife would come to no harm if she were truthful and faithful. The prosecution pointed out that since the minister suspected his wife of cheating on him, his intent was to kill her because he was sure she would be bitten.

That trial too, was a media circus. The minister was convicted and sent to prison and Alabama passed a flurry of laws abolishing the practice of snake handling and increasing penalties on violators. Other southern states soon followed suit and the practice went deep underground again for decades ... until Rev. Andrew Hamblin decided to shake up things a bit.

At this point we have no way to predict what the eventual outcome will be. I suspect Reverend Hamblin will be convicted because the law is the law, but the judge has much leeway in how severe a penalty to impose, either a mere fine or up to a year behind bars. I suspect the young pastor will not be required to serve time in jail, at least not on a first offense.

That leniency will merely embolden him and his congregation to push a little harder until they get their day at the Supreme Court, challenging the snake handling laws as unconstitutional infringements on freedom of religion.

But there has to be a limit to freedom of religion when that freedom goes counter to other laws of the land. For instance, weíre not about to let Muslims invoke Shariah Law here in America and stone adulterers to death. Murder is murder and only state-sponsored executions are acceptable as a way to end a personís life.

Snake handlers may, in the view of many, exhibit a death wish, but suicide is also illegal in America. Our nation will not tolerate anyone who seems intent upon ending his or her own life, let alone the lives of others.

I predict that Reverend Hamblinís push to gain legal acceptance of his peculiar form of religious worship will fail, with the unintended consequence that even stricter laws may be placed on the books to avoid any future reality shows featuring people thumbing their noses at the law of the land.(11/15/2013 2:00 PM)
LOL hear ye

Jacksboro, TN

#56 Nov 23, 2013
Add to the above, THIS tid bid...

"Itís believed Hamblin spooked the governorís security detail"

Last Thursday night, WLAFís Charlotte Underwood was firmly walked out of Governor Bill Haslamís re-election campaign kick-off bash in La Follette. Event organizer Clarence Lowe tells WLAF that he was busy on the other side of the Stables Party Barn when Underwood was tossed out and had not idea it had taken place until the next morning. Had he known what was taking place, he says he would have worked it out for Underwood to get her story. Lowe surmised that since Andrew Hamblin, the snake handling preacher, who apparently crashed the party and was removed by security, may have sent mixed messages when security learned a member of the media was also at the event. Lowe planned to talk with a member of the governorís staff to find out just what security was thinking and why Underwood was treated as if she was a threat.(11/14/2013/6:00 AM)

----

What they were thinking?? Seriously??? LMAO!

Both articles are on same page, just scroll to find: http://www.1450wlaf.com/index.htm

Can't stop laughing! good night!

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#57 Nov 24, 2013
Thanks for sharing the info, LOL hear ye.
Very interesting.

Circus indeed.
Hamblin has delusions of being another P.T. Barnum.
Lucky

Knoxville, TN

#58 Dec 11, 2013
Hamblin can lay down on I 75 for all I care. I don't know why anyone would waste their time with that little twerp.
HellFerCertain

Hazard, KY

#59 Dec 15, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
Snakes are so passe' and besides, they require care and feeding.
GUNS are a better way to show how much Yahweh loves you!
You know...good old Russian Roulette, the potentially lethal game of chance in which a player places a single round in a revolver, spins the cylinder, places the muzzle against his or her head, and pulls the trigger.
Let us see how much you REALLY trust your imaginary friend.
Yeah mock him for practicing his religion while you a gaytards keep on finding things to shove in your asses. Not to mention being baby butchering perverts. All of you need to leave the country and go somewhere that you can keep something stuck in your asses all day. Nasty libtard gaytards. You can't get off I-75 in La Follette without two dozen gaytards trying suck your dick. You hellbound Satanists should keep your nasty personas off churches.
HellFerCertain

Hazard, KY

#60 Dec 15, 2013
Don't you crotch gobbling gaytards have anything else to whine about?
Nookie

Knoxville, TN

#61 Dec 25, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
It's interesting that you are so hung up on wrinkles.
Why is that?
Afraid of aging?
You are the one worried about getting a date and being attractive to men.
I have a life that revolves around what *I* want, not some man and what he wants.
I do what I please, not depending on a male to support me financially, emotionally or physically.
Honey, the only wrinkles I have are from smiling.
What's going on with that case now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Follette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor Evaluation 1 min hahaha 6
More trouble at animal shelter? 5 min sam 52
Kinky 15 min youknow 7
Stephan mcChulla 1 hr Wow 8
darick benoit (Dec '10) 2 hr Lisa JF 61
Hubbards 7 hr drafter1411 1
mike silcox 8 hr Ralf swain 1
More from around the web

La Follette People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]