Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in 2010?

Posted in the La Follette Forum

Comments (Page 3,485)

Showing posts 69,681 - 69,700 of124,053
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Feb 13

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

“It matters who governs.” That was the mantra of the Tennessee House Republicans before we achieved a majority and we were asking Tennesseans to place their trust in us. We pledged that if given the monumental task of governing, we would implement reforms that taxpayers deserved and demanded. We promised to make government more efficient, to streamline our operations, and to continually strive to make improvements to the overall legislative process.

Tennessee is one of the most fiscally conservative states in the nation, with low taxes, very little debt, and a balanced budget every year. Because of that, our state has done an excellent job of attracting new businesses and inspiring local entrepreneurs. This year, we built on those good policies by reforming Tennessee’s workers’ compensation laws to ensure the system is fairer, more efficient, and provides better outcomes for both employers and employees.

When Governor Haslam and lawmakers met with small business owners all across the state prior to this year’s legislative session, they were in agreement that the top issue was Tennessee’s worker’s compensation system. Workers’ Compensation is an insurance program, adopted in Tennessee in 1919, that compensates employees for injuries they suffer on the job. Employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance to cover the costs of medical expenses and lost wages of employees when they suffer work-related injuries. There is no question, the workers’ compensation system itself is something our state needs and will always have in case a worker is injured on the job.

Recently, however, both employers and employees have discovered numerous problems with current workers’ compensation laws. Indeed, the current process for determining benefits is cumbersome for determining injury benefits, unpredictable and time-consuming, and employees are often unable to receive benefits and return to work in a timely manner. In addition, workers’ compensation rates for employers in Tennessee are higher than the national average and higher than all eight of our bordering states.

With these issues in mind, Tennessee Republicans committed to creating a workers’ compensation system that provides protection and faster service for employees, while creating a more fair and predictable environment in which to conduct business and create jobs. The Workers’ Compensation Reform Act of 2013 will give all Tennessean’s a more fair and streamlined system of reconciling workers’ compensation claims.

Under the new system, workers will see a reduction in the time it takes to receive permanent benefits and will also experience an improvement in medical treatment. The process for resolving disputes will be quicker, allowing injured workers to receive compensation and return to work sooner so they can continue to earn a paycheck and provide for their families. In addition, injured workers will have the services of an ombudsman whose role is to answer questions, explain the workers’ compensation process, and help employees complete paperwork.

On top of the improved benefits for employees, employers will also see a system that aids in creating an environment where businesses can grow and thrive. By making our workers’ compensation system more fair and efficient, Tennessee will continue on its path of becoming the number one state in the Southeast for high-quality jobs.

Your Tennessee General Assembly is committed to crafting a fiscally responsible, balanced budget, streamlining government, cutting taxes, and reforming the overall governmental process. This year, we are building on our prior successes by spearheading efforts like the Workers’ Compensation Reform Act to make Tennessee an even better place to live, work, and raise a family.

Rep. Kevin Brooks serves the 24th Legislative District in Cleveland, Tn
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> And all this happened since 2006 right ?
I guess we shouldn't help kids go to college, after all, they can all get one of those good jobs at McDonalds, or maybe Wal-mart where they make enough to qualify for food stamps and need government subsidized healthcare. Yes sir...that's the ticket to a middle class life ! Then there will be more of those folks "conservatives" can gripe about whenever the Federal Budget is mentioned.
Let's see, "conservatives" hate welfare, the social safety net, unions which drive up wages, minimum wage raises, and now government subsidized student loans which might just keep kids from needing any of those ! Priceless !
Here we go again."I guess we shouldn't help kids go to college," NOT FOR FREE! "Let's see, "conservatives" hate welfare".... No limit it with provisions that education and betterment of one self goes with it. Of course for those who simply cannot- we will by all means take care of them (called compassion),"the social safety net"....what is this, welfare for the unemployed), "unions which drive up wages"....NO they run business out of business. Higher wages, benefits, retirement packages regardless of whether the business can afford it.--Happens in cities as well (see California) "Minimum wage raises"...... When you raise minimum wages again you hurt the business. What most people complain about is the pay difference. If you raise minimum wage then the employer will almost assuredly have to raise every ones wage the same amount. Thus,the minimum wage workers will never catch up.(in most cases)
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
Been on both sides of the Union, I Understand how they work. Yes, the Dr. probably could increase hi/her staff, hire nurse practitioners to help. Liability would go though the roof, the gov is paying less... Why go through the stress. Just like a manufacturing company. Why should I increase my employees when I don't know what is coming down the road. That is a little reckless to me
Yes you are probably right about the government paying less......I'm sure you have seen how the hospitals mark up each item.
So now they will not get such a high mark-up, but instead they will be getting more clients.
I really don't think it would be a reckless thing to do for a hospital, Doctor, NP to get ready or at least have it in the back of their mind to expand.
"Stress", I'm not sure they are worried about that, the only thing they should be worried about is how much to expand.
I have never ever seen a good business turn away paying customers.
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Everyone who subscribed to "free trade" and globalization, along with American consumers who are the consumers of cheap Chinese junk imports, are responsible for the layoffs. SOOOO that includes members of both parties.
BTW, I wouldn't trust a person who took 25 years to become a doctor. And, for the record, you have no earthly idea how much I make a year, nor is that any of your business.
Lets get one more point in here. Those Chinese junks have raise the comfort level of the poor. Now everybody has a car, smokes cigarettes, TV, Freezer, Home, etc. You Bill C. sign the Nafta treaty. and OBamas GE is leading in the cheap junks.

To be honest with you (pardon the pun)I care less about what you make but you were crying about the Drs making 2-3 times the average person.
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Well thank-you very much for stepping up to the plate, and I accept.
Honestly, I know we all make mistakes, myself included, we are all human and that is the way God made us........but even God is still improving on us.
No one on this Forum is correct all of the time, but one thing we all are, all of the time, is the fact that we are all Americans.
Very Well said.
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> You called me "supid" !
You may have been called worse, but not by me.
Get off your high horse!!!! I did not say you called me stupid. dem/lib wit
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
We keep bringing up the lies of the past,,, WMDs COngress and Senate voted to invade because of WMDs. The Intel officers were handpicked by BILL C. He shut everything else down.
Come on,,, Let me help yo get out of a rut.
Well you brought up how much time President Obama plays golf(can't stand it myself)compared to dealing with issues. I just gave an example of how he can deal with the issues and play golf on the side.
Playing golf, gives some people the illusion that he is slacking off.....but trust me, with a nod of his head on the golf course he could change the world forever.
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Nuh_ wrote:
“It matters who governs.” That was the mantra of the Tennessee House Republicans before we achieved a majority and we were asking Tennesseans to place their trust in us. We pledged that if given the monumental task of governing, we would implement reforms that taxpayers deserved and demanded. We promised to make government more efficient, to streamline our operations, and to continually strive to make improvements to the overall legislative process.
That is good to hear however, I have not received any information about it. WC cost me and arm and leg each year and do not use it YET?
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Yes you are probably right about the government paying less......I'm sure you have seen how the hospitals mark up each item.
So now they will not get such a high mark-up, but instead they will be getting more clients.
I really don't think it would be a reckless thing to do for a hospital, Doctor, NP to get ready or at least have it in the back of their mind to expand.
"Stress", I'm not sure they are worried about that, the only thing they should be worried about is how much to expand.
I have never ever seen a good business turn away paying customers.
The problem with marking up other items that are not covered by insurance is that the people have to pay it. Now, If oBamacare prevents that then the hospitals(alot of them) are simply going to go out of business. You see, Medicare, medicaid pay very little for any procedure. They will be in the red all the time. Not good!

We will see if this 'SoothSayer' is correct. lol
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Well you brought up how much time President Obama plays golf(can't stand it myself)compared to dealing with issues. I just gave an example of how he can deal with the issues and play golf on the side.
Playing golf, gives some people the illusion that he is slacking off.....but trust me, with a nod of his head on the golf course he could change the world forever.
Pres. Bush never played another round of golf after 911 during his tenure at the white house. With all the suffering you would think Obama could at least cut back a little.

If used this a a measuring stick, OBama loses

“IMNTBHO”

Since: Dec 10

On The Road Again

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Well you brought up how much time President Obama plays golf(can't stand it myself)compared to dealing with issues. I just gave an example of how he can deal with the issues and play golf on the side.
You call being 2 months late submitting a budget, "dealing with issues"? Maybe he should have golfed and vacationed less and done his job being sure the budget was prepared on time.

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

NTMD8OR wrote:
<quoted text>You call being 2 months late submitting a budget, "dealing with issues"? Maybe he should have golfed and vacationed less and done his job being sure the budget was prepared on time.
For the record...in Obama's "budget" he proposed 2-months late (in violation of the law, mind you)- the FAA would get LESS money than it is currently getting during the so-called sequestration that caused all those awful delays at airports.
Scarlett Pimple

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

The unemployment insurance program in the U.S. offers benefits to workers if they lose their jobs through no fault of their own. In 2011, this program cost $108 billion, of which nearly $3.3 billion was spent on overpayments due to fraud.

Unemployment insurance fraud occurs when an ineligible individual collects benefits after intentionally misreporting his or her eligibility. Recent headlines have brought attention to extreme forms of fraud, such as the collection of unemployment benefits by prisoners. The dominant form of unemployment insurance fraud, however, is what's called concealed earnings fraud. This fraud occurs when individuals collect unemployment benefits while they are employed and are earning wages. The overpayments due to concealed earnings accounted for almost $2.2 billion in 2011, two-thirds of the total overpayments due to all categories of fraud.[...]

Among those committing concealed earnings fraud, 18,000 (roughly 20 percent) earned less than $300 per week, and 12,000 (14 percent) earned more than $900 per week.

http://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/re/art...

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Scarlett Pimple wrote:
The unemployment insurance program in the U.S. offers benefits to workers if they lose their jobs through no fault of their own. In 2011, this program cost $108 billion, of which nearly $3.3 billion was spent on overpayments due to fraud.
Unemployment insurance fraud occurs when an ineligible individual collects benefits after intentionally misreporting his or her eligibility. Recent headlines have brought attention to extreme forms of fraud, such as the collection of unemployment benefits by prisoners. The dominant form of unemployment insurance fraud, however, is what's called concealed earnings fraud. This fraud occurs when individuals collect unemployment benefits while they are employed and are earning wages. The overpayments due to concealed earnings accounted for almost $2.2 billion in 2011, two-thirds of the total overpayments due to all categories of fraud.[...]
Among those committing concealed earnings fraud, 18,000 (roughly 20 percent) earned less than $300 per week, and 12,000 (14 percent) earned more than $900 per week.
http://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/re/art...
Oh, there's no unemployment fraud - just like there's no voter fraud.
Scarlett Pimple

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

On December 21, 2011, the man who would be president, Joe Biden, said:

“Look, the Taliban per se is not our enemy. That’s critical,” he continued.“There is not a single statement that the president has ever made in any of our policy assertions that the Taliban is our enemy because it threatens U.S. interests.”

Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell the Taliban:

Taliban marks start of 'monumental' spring offensive with deadly attack

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/28...

"In addition to suicide bombings, insurgents warned of coordinating ‘insider’ attacks against ‘foreign transgressors’," the Taliban said in a statement on Sunday.

They also claimed responsibility for an early-morning attack in the eastern part of Afghanistan that killed at least three police officers.

Well, no one ever accused ole Joe of bein’ smart….
Awesome

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Honest
Scarlett Pimple

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
Actually, I would prefer it that he spend all of his time on the golf course or traveling around.

Given the success rate of his policies, it is to the country's benefit that he spend as little time as possible governing.
Scarlett Pimple

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

We hear a lot about America losing manufacturing jobs to other countries. Did you know that one of the last bastions of American manufacturing is the gun industry? 5.5 Million guns are mfg'd in the US, and almost all of them are sold to Americans.

98,000 people in this country owe their jobs to the gun industry.

http://www.onlinemba.com/blog/business-of-gun...

Maybe they'll all prefer unemployment and food stamps.
Scarlett Pimple

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Ahhh, spring has sprung, and the finch’s have turned a pretty yellow, and the cardinals are bright red. So beautiful.

I bought a bird feeder, hung It on my back porch and filled it with bird seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the free and easily accessible food.

But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue.

Then came the poop. It was everywhere. On the patio tile, the chairs, the table ..
Everywhere!

Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket.

And other birds were boisterous and loud. They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night, demanding that I fill it when it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn't even sit on my own back porch anymore.

So I took down the bird feeder and in three days, the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like it used to be. Quiet and serene, and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

Now let's see. Our government gives out free food, subsidized housing, free medical care and free education, and allows anyone born here to be an automatic citizen.

Then the illegal's came by the tens of thousands. Suddenly our taxes went up to pay for free services, Small apartments are housing 5 families. You have to wait 6 hours to be seen by an emergency room doctor. Your child's second grade class is behind other schools because over half the class doesn't speak English.

Corn Flakes now come in a bilingual box. I have to 'press one ' to hear my bank talk to me in English, and people waving flags other than 'Old Glory' are squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties.

Just my opinion, but maybe it's time for the government to take down the bird feeder.
name

Kingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 69,681 - 69,700 of124,053
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the La Follette Forum right now

Search the La Follette Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The Real Sheirff Robbie Goins 5 min haha 15
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 44 min Get Real 8,463
shepards home thrift store 4 hr Get-real 15
Ready to get off! 8 hr lol 2
Sentimental motherhood Gifts on Mother’s Day 8 hr what 2
sno ball place 8 hr ugh 5
Beerbottle Bailey 11 hr Get-real 10
•••
•••
•••
•••

La Follette Jobs

•••
•••