Asked & Answered: Omar Bradley

Feb 28, 2008 Full story: Wave Newspapers 21

“I think if I had a downfall, it was that I loved too much.”

Former Compton Mayor Omar Bradley, who served 11 months in prison for misusing city funds for personal purposes, says more than half that time was spent in solitary confinement. via Wave Newspapers

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ComptonResident

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Feb 28, 2008
Life is a pay back. What you did to our city now you are paying? When you was the mayor of Compton, there was corruption and everything was just ugly and dirty. You spend how many money on that statue on Willowbrook and Compton? Which we didnt need. You didn't made no difference in Compton. You made Compton look like every single resident of Compton was a gangbanger or involve in illegal activities. I am going to graduate from High School. Compton is safer than 5 years ago. In 2004 you could walk from 6:00 without seeing no gangsters in the streets now you see them but they all scared. Still, Compton officials has its weakness but the city is changing. What happen to the street maintance division, I dont know if it was you but you purchase some mall maintance street washers instead of real street washers.

Do you people think that Omar Bradley still have contacts with gangbangers?
Think

Fullerton, CA

#2 Mar 3, 2008
If you are about to graduate from high school then the system has truly failed you. Please read your work before you post such a hateful, ill-informed message again. You will be an adult in the world soon enough and you cannot always believe what you read.

The reason that your streets are so safe is because Omar Bradley fired the corrupt Compton Police Department and hired the Sheriff's Department. Your new mayor is reaping the benefits of Omar Bradley's work.

If you travel outside of this state, the ugly reputation that was created about Compton is the result of the music that Ice Cube, Snoop Dog, Easy-E and others created. I bet you have it in your I-Pod right now. Omar Bradley didn't create Compton's reputation and he will be vindicated for the terrible wrongs that have been inflicted on his life.
ComptonResident

Santa Monica, CA

#3 Mar 3, 2008
Think wrote:
If you are about to graduate from high school then the system has truly failed you. Please read your work before you post such a hateful, ill-informed message again. You will be an adult in the world soon enough and you cannot always believe what you read.
The reason that your streets are so safe is because Omar Bradley fired the corrupt Compton Police Department and hired the Sheriff's Department. Your new mayor is reaping the benefits of Omar Bradley's work.
If you travel outside of this state, the ugly reputation that was created about Compton is the result of the music that Ice Cube, Snoop Dog, Easy-E and others created. I bet you have it in your I-Pod right now. Omar Bradley didn't create Compton's reputation and he will be vindicated for the terrible wrongs that have been inflicted on his life.
Sorry, according to my knowledge Eric Perrodin (2001-??)was the one whom fired the corrupted police officers, he was a police officer and he saw what was going on so he decide to run as the mayor and so he got elected. OMG! LoL That is so 90s. I don't listen to that kind of nonsence. I have more like Justin Timberlake and I have audiobooks; just finish listening The Grapes of Grapth. I am more into the techno and hip-hop. Despite you are stereo typing me because you assume I am a gangster or a stupid dopey individual from Compton;however, I am not. Well, you could call me ignorant or young and stupid but when Omar Bradley was the mayor of Compton, Compton was different. There were more violence in the streets. I truly admire the new mayor of Compton. Are you a residence of Compton? I mean not Willowbrook or Rancho Dominguez resident.
Not True

Fullerton, CA

#4 Mar 3, 2008
Mayor Perrodin did not fire the Compton Police Department. He was not a police officer, he was a district attorney. FYI - when Eric ran for office he accepted a campaign donation from Death Row Records while Suge Knight was being investigated by the DA's office that he worked for. Hmmmmmm?

Omar was charged with using a city issued credit card, while doing city business. He didn't steal any money. He repaid the city all that he owed, as per the city charter's instructions. He bought a bowl of oatmeal and played golf with some other city officials just like most other politicians do. Mayor Perrodin uses that same credit card today for city business.

I am trying to explain to you that because you don't know the history of what really happened, you are willing to make a public comment about someone who didn't do what he was charged with doing. Here you are giving Eric Perrodin credit for firing the Compton PD when it was Omar that did it. The sheriffs came in and cleaned up the crime and now you are enjoying the benefits and giving Eric the credit. My point to you is that you are admiring Mayor Perrodin and you really don't know what or if he has accomplished anything.

When Omar took office, the city was a mess. It takes awhile to make major changes a cit that has been ruined by the rap industry images. He will be vindicated.

In the meantime, blame hip hop for Compton's image problems, not Omar Bradley.
ComptonResident wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, according to my knowledge Eric Perrodin (2001-??)was the one whom fired the corrupted police officers, he was a police officer and he saw what was going on so he decide to run as the mayor and so he got elected. OMG! LoL That is so 90s. I don't listen to that kind of nonsence. I have more like Justin Timberlake and I have audiobooks; just finish listening The Grapes of Grapth. I am more into the techno and hip-hop. Despite you are stereo typing me because you assume I am a gangster or a stupid dopey individual from Compton;however, I am not. Well, you could call me ignorant or young and stupid but when Omar Bradley was the mayor of Compton, Compton was different. There were more violence in the streets. I truly admire the new mayor of Compton. Are you a residence of Compton? I mean not Willowbrook or Rancho Dominguez resident.
ComptonResident

Santa Monica, CA

#5 Mar 4, 2008
I am sorry Omar Bradley but I am just saying what I know from the resources from the media and some residents. But that is what I know. Iam going to get more involve in Compton politics. I am going to research more about Omar Bradley accomplishments and disasters. But again the stupid music made Compton get the reputation.
china white

Orange, CA

#6 Mar 19, 2008
Wow!!! I'm so embarrassed. Omar Bradley was a great leader and accomplished many feats in the great city of Compton. Compton Resident obviously has received most of his information by word of mouth and opinion. The Compton Police Department was dismantled under Bradley's term that is why Percy Perrodin and the former police chief Hurry Taylor ran Eric Perrodin against Bradley. They thought Eric would be able to reinstate the police department and get their jobs back. Now, Eric Perrodin, it is said was a Compton Police Officer for a very short time and is currently a DA, but what does that mean. Bradley not Perrodin cleaned up the streets of Compton. The extensive violence and graffiti that we see now, we did not see when Bradley was in office because he actually lived in Compton and patrolled the streets.
Bradley made extensive contributions to the city and it is unfair for the community to forget that. Perrodin is not as aggressive or politically savvy as Bradley, but his lack of presence in the media, is what most consider admirable.
I was at the elections, the primary and the run off and it was a crime that the people of Compton allowed themselves to be cheated, like America was when Bush stole the election from Gore. There is no way, Perrodin won that election legally, it didn't add up. Look at the stats. In the primary, Bradley had 46% of the vote and Perrodin had 19% with 9 other candidates. In 4 weeks he increased his votes by 31% with minimal campaigning and no one knew who he was??? Right. When Bradley took the case to court and won, Perrodin immediately appealed the decision and was allowed to remain in the seat until the appeal. Unfortunately, just before the appeal, Bradley was indicted for those erroneous credit card charges, that he repaid, that came to a whapping total of ~$1,300.00. Also, Perrodin made the same charges on his card, but the DA collected all of the records so that citizens had no access to view them. A few of the privileged few, me included, have copies of those statements, but if you see what happened to the others that went up against Perrodin, you realize you keep some things to yourself. Now if you wish to debate political accounts, please do your research and read. Do not take my word for it, read.
Compton310

North Hollywood, CA

#7 Mar 19, 2008
I got to agree when we had the police department, there were mor violence in the streets. I remember that the gangbangers were always talking to the police like if they were friends. The mayor wants to put back the PD which I dont want. If Compton turns back like how it was in the 90s I am moving, I could afford to live in Mahanttan Beach but I want to live here and help the community but not with a police department. The Municipal Law Enforcement they the same like the police department, I have seen them with the gangster of my street in the alley. Sorry, Omar Bradley. I disagree with Lee Baca. Too.
Concerned

AOL

#8 Mar 30, 2008
I am very discouraged with the political games that have been played. Based on what I've researched, the politicians are profiting from the criminals. It is not to their advantage to clean up Compton or any other high crime area. They put the fear in good people but quoting statistics, but in the meantime - getting their palms greased by the bad guys.

A good and decent black man is still their fear. I'm really sorry the Mayor Bradley had to indure such inhumane treatment.
Perrodin Is Corrupt

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Apr 7, 2008
Eric Perrodin is nothing more than a typical corrupt politician. Look up his educational experience: business school. He moonlights as a DA so he can claim that he is "tough on crime" to further his political aspirations. But it is typical selfish, self-promoting political posturing, leaving truth and the well-being of the less-fortunate behind. He cares about one thing, ultimately: HIMSELF.

Maybe Bradley wasn't a saint but he was a concerned, enlightened leader. Perrodin is a politician in the worst sense of the word, a leach, bottom-feeder, and ultimately a liability to Compton and LA, not to mention the criminal justice system.
LRJ

Austin, TX

#10 Apr 21, 2008
Bradley was my English teacher at Lynwood H.S. He always talked about COMPTON. He had lots of love for the CPT, though he hardly ever taught us anything. I lived in the CPT in the 90's, it was rough, it was almost Biblical...young males on porches mad dogging, with nothing lose. Older folk trying to hold on. Bradley needed more than a city budget to counter the ill effects of Capitalism and trickle up economics on the "other" America. I don't see Compton changing into a leafy suburb, ever...too many things went wrong, way too fast...
Concerned Citizen

San Francisco, CA

#11 Apr 22, 2008
Bradley was a good Mayor. He did a lot of good for Compton. When you are a product of the area you are policing you have a better understanding of how to deal with the city's problems. The Sherrif's Dept. is definitely a plus....Eric is also so a good Mayor whom I think is just loyal to his family as well as the corrupted CPD just like the gangs we are dealing with now. Compton has changed with a dominant Latino population soon no Omars or Eric's....
Former Compton Resident

Corvallis, OR

#12 Jun 3, 2008
I grew up in Compton in the 60s and saw it slide into the gang infested cess pool it became. I gradutated from Dominguez in 1967 and it got to the point we couldn't venture out of our house after dark. It wasn't corrupt politicians that caused Compton to decline; it was gang bangers and ineffective courts and an ever more permissive society.

I left Compton as quickly as I could after graduation. I went to college out of state and then joined the Marine Corps. I am sad that my kids could never really visit the town I grew up in.

Omar Bradley, like Marion Berry and many others is nothing more than a common criminal who found himself in a position to take advantage of the situation. He betrayed the trust of the people and deserved much more than he received in the way of punishment.

He wrote a book entitled "The King of Compton" in which he whines about big brother and how he was mistreated. What a joke.
china white

Brea, CA

#13 Jul 28, 2008
How can an individual, that was not present during an era, comment on the conditions of a community? Former Resident of Compton, if you left Compton after you graduated from High School in 1967, What merit do your words have for the time period that Bradley was Mayor? He became Mayor nearly 25 years after you moved. What bothers me, is not so much the absence of thought in your statements, but that you honestly believe they are valid. I pray that you do not have children that you teach to think the way that you do, because that would be scarey. You have made statements based on what? Do you have any valid evidence or facts to support your statements? What does his book have to do with what you are saying? Nothing. What is more frightening is your need to express your ignorance publicly. I'm glad you left Compton. If you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem. You my friend, are part of the problem.
Former Compton Resident wrote:
I grew up in Compton in the 60s and saw it slide into the gang infested cess pool it became. I gradutated from Dominguez in 1967 and it got to the point we couldn't venture out of our house after dark. It wasn't corrupt politicians that caused Compton to decline; it was gang bangers and ineffective courts and an ever more permissive society.
I left Compton as quickly as I could after graduation. I went to college out of state and then joined the Marine Corps. I am sad that my kids could never really visit the town I grew up in.
Omar Bradley, like Marion Berry and many others is nothing more than a common criminal who found himself in a position to take advantage of the situation. He betrayed the trust of the people and deserved much more than he received in the way of punishment.
He wrote a book entitled "The King of Compton" in which he whines about big brother and how he was mistreated. What a joke.
china white

Brea, CA

#14 Jul 28, 2008
Why can't "Former Resident" bring his children to visit Compton? And what was that comparison of Bradley to Marion Berry? The only relationship the two have are ethnicity, which gives me the opinion that the individual that made it, is racist. You see, Compton was primarily White before the Watts Riot. There are still laws on the books that indicate that Blacks could not purchase property in the city of Compton. Minorities were treated as second class citizens and were tortured and threatened by the white gangs during the 50's and 60's. In fact, those quasi Klu Klux Klan gangs attempted to create such a fear in minorities that they could not leave their homes or go into certain neighborhoods after dark. The joke is, that those gangbangers that were referenced, joined together to protect themselves from the then White majority in Compton, that caused them so much grief. Now, I do not care what your ethnicity is, right is right and wrong is wrong, and no man deserves to go to prison for what Bradley went to prison for. It was a waist of tax payers money and resources, but you probably would not care about that, you do not live here. Prison is an institution designed to litterally dissolve an individuals ability to be a productive citizen. It robs society as a whole, all the way around when you house and feed people at $50,000 per year per person for an alleged monetary crime that was repaid. Please keep your racist opinions and ignorance to yourself.
Get it right

United States

#15 Aug 17, 2008
You think you know but you have no idea. the next time you decide to blast my father with pathetic lies think of how his family will be effected. I grew up in Compton just like all of you and I never saw my father and when I did it was when he was comming home from working an 18 hour day with blisters on his feet. My father has ppaid for many funerals of young people in Compton out of his own pocket and some were even dear friend of mine. Before you decide to judge my dad ask your self some questions: Would his daughter have to walk the street of east las vegas to and from work and school every night and every day with no money for books when she decided to get a higher educaton? Would his son be suffering from a terrible disease called angio adema with no suficien medical care if he stole money? I think not.
Former Compton Resident wrote:
I grew up in Compton in the 60s and saw it slide into the gang infested cess pool it became. I gradutated from Dominguez in 1967 and it got to the point we couldn't venture out of our house after dark. It wasn't corrupt politicians that caused Compton to decline; it was gang bangers and ineffective courts and an ever more permissive society.
I left Compton as quickly as I could after graduation. I went to college out of state and then joined the Marine Corps. I am sad that my kids could never really visit the town I grew up in.
Omar Bradley, like Marion Berry and many others is nothing more than a common criminal who found himself in a position to take advantage of the situation. He betrayed the trust of the people and deserved much more than he received in the way of punishment.
He wrote a book entitled "The King of Compton" in which he whines about big brother and how he was mistreated. What a joke.
VeeWhite

United States

#16 Aug 18, 2008
Omar is a great man who has been more than humbled by this experience. Even if a person thinks that he is guilty, how much should a person pay for their transgressions? I am a personal friend of Omar's and I know how much he and his family are suffering. What I really hate is to hear how much black people love to lead the mob. White people love their people through thick and thin. There is no legislative crime that is worth destroying someone's life forever. Guilty or not. Omar will rise again, it will just take time. Hang on big O. Want some coffee?
Get better little Omar. This too shall pass.
COMPTONCHANGE

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Aug 20, 2008
I am mad. I am mad that the city of Compton politicians are still playing with our future. The mayor of Compton said in the previous months that we the residents of Compton are going to be able to pay our water bills online;however, it we still need to go to the city hall and send our check via mail. I don not know if you have observed that the crime and violence has increase in the last month or so. But the city nor the mayor who is "tough is crime" is doing nothing to reduce crime. Now, when elections come I am now know who I am going to support financially and with my vote. Compton does not need to be like this. Go to college. Get involve. Be productive.
Love

San Pedro, CA

#18 Jun 15, 2010
I love Compton
ComptonNorm

Long Beach, CA

#19 Jul 14, 2010
look i'm not here to comment on omar bradley of eric perrodin hell i dont know either man and dont really care for promoting politicians their work can do that. I will say that some of YOU our the reason compton is and has been in the state its been in not a high school graduate who's commenting on something they dont know about and you people tried tearing them down calling them names and saying the system has failed them. Educate the person dont tear them down, inform them all of you who say Omar did a great job will he ended up in prison for his good job and all who admire perrodin and thinks he does a good job havent seen compton after dark. Mayors and police depts wont help the city HIGHSCHOOL GRADUATES WILL congrats COMPTONRESIDENT but hit the books learn the info then comment goodluck in college
ComptonResident

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Jul 14, 2010
Think wrote:
If you are about to graduate from high school then the system has truly failed you. Please read your work before you post such a hateful, ill-informed message again. You will be an adult in the world soon enough and you cannot always believe what you read.
The reason that your streets are so safe is because Omar Bradley fired the corrupt Compton Police Department and hired the Sheriff's Department. Your new mayor is reaping the benefits of Omar Bradley's work.
If you travel outside of this state, the ugly reputation that was created about Compton is the result of the music that Ice Cube, Snoop Dog, Easy-E and others created. I bet you have it in your I-Pod right now. Omar Bradley didn't create Compton's reputation and he will be vindicated for the terrible wrongs that have been inflicted on his life.
I am deeply sorry. I have to agree with you now. Not everything you read is true. You were correct!

Thank You.
Love Compton.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La-Crescenta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Band director accused of rape (Jul '08) 3 hr to steven sucks d... 530
Aziz Ansari should be ashamed to show his face 8 hr ricky spanish 2
why is alfredo becerra such a hopeless tweeker 8 hr fomer partner 3
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 hr Trojan 29,271
News Carlton Gebbia implies Kyle Richards doesn't se... (Mar '14) 18 hr Frank Lee 3
i m sameer Fri Gilligan 2
Bathroom Remodeling / La Crescenta / Kitchen Re... (Feb '11) Feb '15 Tylequious Jackson 3

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at March 28 at 3:07PM PDT

La-Crescenta Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

La-Crescenta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]