Maui demonstrators protest vet care

Maui demonstrators protest vet care

There are 15 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from May 31, 2008, titled Maui demonstrators protest vet care. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

KAHULUI Some 20 people demonstrated outside a veterans clinic yesterday to complain about what they see as deteriorating medical services on Maui.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Koolau

San Diego, CA

#1 May 31, 2008
It's unforgiveable when the treatment between Vietnam and Iraq veterans are compared! Vietnam vets went to battle understanding it was an unpopular war, but they did because it was their duty when called upon by their leaders. They now receive the same trash treatment, but now by the same leaders who once relied on their loyalty. I guess you need to become a Presidential candidate to receive preferential Vet treatment!
Disgusted

Hilo, HI

#2 May 31, 2008
What's new? For the last 16 yrs., our nation has been led by gutless wonders who shirked their duties when it was their turn to fight. Yet, especially the current Resident in the White House, they have had no compunction in ordering others to fight and put their lives on the line. Most shamefully, the current Resident has an abominable reputation for taking of those who did.
manini

Honolulu, HI

#3 May 31, 2008
Where is Dan Akaka who just happens to be chairperson of the Senate Veteran Affairs committee. I'll tell you where he is. He's in DC trying to pass legislation to give pensions to citizens of a foreigh country for their 4 years of service during WWII and doing nothing for the vets who have served in wars and conflicts since WWII. Dan is Chair of the Senate Veterans Committee. It's time he focuses on the problems our vets face in America and especially in his own back yard.
Maxima

Honolulu, HI

#4 May 31, 2008
For you McCain supporters, he was part of the Republican Revolution and majority including Bush & Chaney.
The result, no major legislation for the vets for all wars past and present.
You can point the blame @ the democrats but the other fingers are pointing right back at you.
Experience???ha. Try "bad experience".
McCain is like Akaka, retire and take your meds.
L_Sherrod SFC Retired

Arlington, TN

#5 May 31, 2008
Hey! If you are o longer on active duty, this country has no further use for you. They can't pay for your medical care and give your elected politicians all their benefits and raises and pensions, so guess who gets left out. The only thing that has a chance of straightening out this country is an intra-country war; and its coming. Right after Obama is elected!
Mokebla

Portland, OR

#6 May 31, 2008
I think its call demographic's. I'm a disable veitnam vet, living here in Portland Oregon, and have great service here. Even when I went home earlier this month I forgot my insulin and went to Tripler and in an hour I got me a bottle of insulin while on vacation in Hawaii. Yes Akaka could do more, but I think Hawaii needs a change, to many liberals. A conservative would take care of their own.
ainokea4u

Aiea, HI

#7 May 31, 2008
The very reason why I moved back to Honolulu. I felt that I would not get the service or care if I stayed on Maui.

Though I love the Valley Isle and have spent 1/3 of my life on that island, the infrastructure does not support the growing needs of the people and especially veterans.

The next move if any will be to the mainland; as Hawaii is getting way out of line and costs continue to rise. If not for my military retired pay and veteran's disability pay, I don't think I could survive here... and those are supporting my work pay monthly.

crazy, no?

Maui needs at least 3 physicians at minimum. On Oahu they rotate them there is so many.

Bruddah's... I feel for you. But you gotta think about this whole situation.... The VA suppose to support the Vets; but on the other hand, they are suppose to be vigilant and cut costs for the government. So services are one of those things that are cut, since payroll adds to expenses; whether they hire another one is to be seen.
ainokea4u

Aiea, HI

#8 May 31, 2008
manini wrote:
Where is Dan Akaka who just happens to be chairperson of the Senate Veteran Affairs committee. I'll tell you where he is. He's in DC trying to pass legislation to give pensions to citizens of a foreigh country for their 4 years of service during WWII and doing nothing for the vets who have served in wars and conflicts since WWII. Dan is Chair of the Senate Veterans Committee. It's time he focuses on the problems our vets face in America and especially in his own back yard.
come on now.... Dan?

how's the Akaka bill....?

Did you expect him to do any better with running a committee? LOL
willie

North Little Rock, AR

#9 May 31, 2008
Maxima wrote:
For you McCain supporters, he was part of the Republican Revolution and majority including Bush & Chaney.
The result, no major legislation for the vets for all wars past and present.
You can point the blame @ the democrats but the other fingers are pointing right back at you.
Experience???ha. Try "bad experience".
McCain is like Akaka, retire and take your meds.
Last I checked the Democrats controled both houses AND the purse strings...they decide how much to spend not ONE senator or the president.

Ask Pelosi why he funds aren't there...
Pono

Kihei, HI

#10 May 31, 2008
This cant be a real problem. Yesterday McCain said the surge is over and all the marines are home now. So by republican logic, veteran care is actually getting better and not worse. He also believes that trained professionals misdiagnose PTSD when really soldiers are just experiencing "normal traumatic stress" from combat and don't need any special help. I guess that's why he voted against the veterans bill, but approved hundereds of billions to create new messed up veterans.

I read a rumor that McCain has been diagnosed as having the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Anyone heard anything about this?
Maxima

Honolulu, HI

#11 May 31, 2008
willie wrote:
<quoted text>
Last I checked the Democrats controled both houses AND the purse strings...they decide how much to spend not ONE senator or the president.
Ask Pelosi why he funds aren't there...
Pelosi is a she, and the republicans consisted of the majority of the House and Senate, which included McCain.
Anyway, they did nothing so go check your facts and see if you can produce one legislation that improved and increase the benefits for all vets.
Nada's.
Carole

Fort Worth, TX

#12 May 31, 2008
manini wrote:
Where is Dan Akaka who just happens to be chairperson of the Senate Veteran Affairs committee. I'll tell you where he is. He's in DC trying to pass legislation to give pensions to citizens of a foreigh country for their 4 years of service during WWII and doing nothing for the vets who have served in wars and conflicts since WWII. Dan is Chair of the Senate Veterans Committee. It's time he focuses on the problems our vets face in America and especially in his own back yard.
I could not agree with you more! Shame on Akaka !!!!!!!!!!
Carole

Fort Worth, TX

#13 May 31, 2008
Pono wrote:
This cant be a real problem. Yesterday McCain said the surge is over and all the marines are home now. So by republican logic, veteran care is actually getting better and not worse. He also believes that trained professionals misdiagnose PTSD when really soldiers are just experiencing "normal traumatic stress" from combat and don't need any special help. I guess that's why he voted against the veterans bill, but approved hundereds of billions to create new messed up veterans.
I read a rumor that McCain has been diagnosed as having the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Anyone heard anything about this?
Pono, that would not surprise me! The guy is OLD!!!!! During one on TV interview (I don't remember specifically what he said), but I remember feeling total and utter disgust at this man who had himself been a Prisoner of War. He basically stated that he was NOT going to give additional support to our Vets...... that was IT for me. And this mini-Bush a s s hole wants to be Chief and Commander of our Armed Forces?.....
GODLYWISDOM

Honolulu, HI

#14 Jun 1, 2008
SHAME ON US!
willie

Little Rock, AR

#15 Jun 1, 2008
Maxima wrote:
<quoted text>
Pelosi is a she, and the republicans consisted of the majority of the House and Senate, which included McCain.
Anyway, they did nothing so go check your facts and see if you can produce one legislation that improved and increase the benefits for all vets.
Nada's.
No kidding, she is a she? The word I misstyped was syupoosed to be THE but thanks for letting me know a person named Nancy is a she.

The facts remain, the Democrats are the majority and still NADA as you say has been done. stuff that up your pipe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Jul 29 Musikologist 5
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... Mar '16 DILF 10
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Feb '16 Musikologist 12
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Police and Fire - Hawaii News (Nov '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 4
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3
News Maui Superferry Ruling a Blow to Company, a Vic... (Oct '07) Jun '15 Treetop rider 3

Kula Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kula Mortgages