Hawaiian language has gained, but mis...

Hawaiian language has gained, but mispronunciations abound - Ha...

There are 3 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 27, 2009, titled Hawaiian language has gained, but mispronunciations abound - Ha.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Sometimes we feel like we are making great strides in the perpetuation and correct usage of the Hawaiian language.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Railfan

Piscataway, NJ

#1 Dec 21, 2009
And, of course, if you moved to NJ, you might need to learn names such as "Amboy" and "Manalapan" and "Matchaponix" and "Secaucus" and "Metuchen" and "Manhattan". Not to mention: Tulpehocken, Hoboken, Throgs Neck, Verazzano, Staten Island, Long Island (pronounced "Lung Guyland"), etc. And I admit that I don't know how to pronounce all of them (particularly "Metuchen", to which I've taken to calling May-touch-en, but how do I know it isn't Mee-tooshen?)
Ewa Forever

Ewa Beach, HI

#2 Dec 21, 2009
How do we know if today's Hawaiian pronunciation is correct? Like other languages, there could have been different dialects. Take, for example, Ni'ihau's Hawaiians. I've heard that the Hawaiians there have a vocabulary that many other Hawaiians don't understand. Hawaiians from the Big Island could have had another dialect too. What constitutes correctness?
alice

United States

#3 Dec 22, 2009
It is a good language..thanks to the missionaries for translating it and preserving it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia Jan '17 Fukmi 1
You took down my post? Jan '17 Fukme 1
News If you Like Haiku Stairs, Speak Up (Sep '14) Dec '16 FreeTheStairs 30
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 13
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... (Mar '16) Mar '16 DILF 10

Kula Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kula Mortgages