Editorial | /2008/05/19/

There are 20 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from May 19, 2008, titled Editorial | /2008/05/19/. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Best ag land is for farmers Recent media statements have maligned the Important Agricultural Land bill as being a pro-development measure rather than an agricultural measure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Corrected Statement

Nevada City, CA

#1 May 19, 2008
WOW !
SO FAR.... this tells it perfectly why rail will NEVER work here.

according to the latest start bulletin online poll. http://starbulletin.com/poll/ so far 50% of the drivers polled said that they will continue to drive regardless of the cost of gas. eve if it goes over $8 a gallon.

taht pretty much sums up the fact taht people here are not interested in mass transportation. even at any cost.
clayton lum

Saint Paul, MN

#4 May 19, 2008
I agree with Jon White about St. Louis High School's taunting at their recent game. When I was in school during the 70's, it was a challenge to go up against them. You can ask anyone who attended ILH sports events. The opponents always had the feeling of the underdogs. You can email your LT. Gov., James "Duke" Aiona, he attended St. Louis in the 70's..The pride of The Crusaders will never go away.
sluggo

Kamuela, HI

#5 May 19, 2008
Corrected Statement wrote:
WOW !
according to the latest start bulletin online poll. http://starbulletin.com/poll/ so far 50% of the drivers polled said that they will continue to drive regardless of the cost of gas. eve if it goes over $8 a gallon.
taht pretty much sums up the fact taht people here are not interested in mass transportation. even at any cost.
wow tahts tru espeshaly for illiterate peeple frum callifornya.
sluggo

Kamuela, HI

#6 May 19, 2008
Brrr

Hilo, HI

#7 May 19, 2008
"...if it (gas) goes over $8 a gallon...."

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
Brrr

Hilo, HI

#8 May 19, 2008
Kahaluu

Honolulu, HI

#9 May 19, 2008
Thank you, Guy Belegaud, for your completely useless letter.

Garcia's rubber-stamp of Mufi's steel on steel "technology" means absolutely nothing.

Come November, the people will decide once and for all as to whether or not to stop Mufi's train of destruction, despite others wanting to prevent the people from putting this issue on the ballot.

Bruce Wong, mahalo for your letter pointing out the tremendous weight of the debt Mufi wants to sink our City into for the personal gain of his developer and contractor friends that Mufi expects campaign contributions from at the expense of the tax-payers.
Joe Blow

San Antonio, TX

#10 May 19, 2008
We'll see if Marsha Kitagawa feels the same way about Family Court proceedings after a member of her family is raped and murdered by a juvenile who then disappears into the Family Court system.

God forbid that anything should ever happen to a member of her family! I'm not asking for that. My point is that it is easy to speak in support of the status quo when it's somebody else's loved one who has been the victim of a juvenile rapist or murderer and the person who assaulted, raped or murdered them is benefiting from the way the status quo protects juveniles who have been charged with multiple felonies.

"Our community" expects that rapists and murders do lengthy prison time for their crimes, and that they not get a clean record on their 21st birthday.
Joe Blow

San Antonio, TX

#11 May 19, 2008
WOW !
Note that some people use their cars for work -- not just to go to and from their place of work, but also to do their jobs.

Find me something that will get me where I need to go 24/7 faster than my private car, and at a reasonable cost, and I'll use it.

Mufi's train isn't it.
Foster

Honolulu, HI

#12 May 19, 2008
Marsha Kitagawa...thanks for saying nothing. Can the judiciary please accept criticism without always rushing to defend itself? Let's get some real leadership at the top! Time for Moon to step aside and let Lingle appoint someone who can lead the judiciary to the next level...one of a functioning, transparent court system and third branch of Government.
Kailuaresident

Kaneohe, HI

#13 May 19, 2008
Hmmm, i just voted and 65 percent said either they have changed or 6 dollars a gallon would do it. Sounds like a good argument to build rail to me...
herbert morioka

Honolulu, HI

#14 May 19, 2008
To Marsha Kitagawa: Are you really saying that our judicial system is considering to give the offender a break because of his age? Are you implying that rape and murder is permissable if you are a juvenile? What are the people in the judicial system talking about in private? Please answer these questions.
bornin1962

Honolulu, HI

#15 May 19, 2008
Thank you Mr. Lum, Mr. Rego, and Mr. White for comments. I went round and round with several readers last week on what started on a similar subject, but expanded beyond what it should have.

I think that if the opportunity presents itself to Mr. Cummings, or anyone else who has a differing opinion, the next time you attend a high school, college, or professional baseball game, make it a point to sit near or behind the dugout of your favorite team. You'll be surprised at what goes on in there, taunting included.
Stan

Makawao, HI

#16 May 19, 2008
I can't get my computer to open the online poll.... I guess they don't like the way it's going and shut it down.
LOL
Incognito

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#17 May 19, 2008
Joe Blow wrote:
<quoted text>
Note that some people use their cars for work -- not just to go to and from their place of work, but also to do their jobs.
Find me something that will get me where I need to go 24/7 faster than my private car, and at a reasonable cost, and I'll use it.
Mufi's train isn't it.
If you live IN honolulu, you don't need the train. BUT if you live West of H-2 and need to get to Honolulu you WILL need the train in 7-10 years when there'll be more cars on that side of the island than on the EAST side. Now.... what was that you said?
Incognito

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#18 May 19, 2008
Kahaluu wrote:
Thank you, Guy Belegaud, for your completely useless letter.
Garcia's rubber-stamp of Mufi's steel on steel "technology" means absolutely nothing.
Come November, the people will decide once and for all as to whether or not to stop Mufi's train of destruction, despite others wanting to prevent the people from putting this issue on the ballot.
Bruce Wong, mahalo for your letter pointing out the tremendous weight of the debt Mufi wants to sink our City into for the personal gain of his developer and contractor friends that Mufi expects campaign contributions from at the expense of the tax-payers.
Nothing will be on the ballot unless they get another 38,000 VERIFIED signatures BY Aug. 1.(they have ONLY 8K now) I'm taking bets in Vegas, although the odds are like 30-1.
Kupono

Kapolei, HI

#19 May 19, 2008
Stop Inouye from trying to shove down our throats the Akaka Bill!
Stop Aiona from trying to shove down our throats another do nothing convention, we will have to pay for...to promote his run for office and give help to his party that is losing a lost cause.
Lingle is pro miliary and many are not, Lingle supports Bush and most people in Hawai'i don't for good reasons, the war in Iraq was wrong from the get go and now innocent people are being killed in their homelands losing their families. It's time to end the 120 years of illegal occupation, to resolve the Hawai'i question in a peaceful and diplomatic way...with aloha.
Corrected Statement

Honolulu, HI

#20 May 19, 2008
sluggo wrote:
<quoted text>
wow tahts tru espeshaly for illiterate peeple frum callifornya.
HEY
"SLUGGO" have you been hit in the head too many times or are you just naturally that arrogant and prejudiced ?

1) if you see the time stamp on the message, GENIUS, you will see that it was done at almost 3 am. the least of my concern is getting my spelling correct for the cyber nazi's like you.

2) if you had any level of intelligence, GENIUS, and were to BOTHER to drop your prejudice to learn anything... you would quickly find out that the "location" is based on the computers IP address. That is a relative thing as I was sitting in Waikiki on my laptop computer hooked to verizons wireless "broadband" internet connection. It gives me an IP address of the RANDOM LAND LINE that it connects to after it bounces off of a few satellites. I have lived in Waikiki for 3 years. Hence that is why I used the word "HERE" as the last word in my very first sentence. But you are too blind or dumb, or ignorant, or prejudice to even read and comprehend what is clearly sitting directly in front of you.

Your so prejudice and lack such a FUNDAMENTAL understanding of technology. You don't know what you don't know but yet are confident to announce to the world your opinion of ignorance. Since you just demonstrated your ignorance obviously you must be even more ignorant and prejudice about other things in life. Attitude such as yours is typically not isolated to a single incident or confined to a single fragment of your personality.

Too bad it doesn't show what YOUR IP address is then I can see if you were logged on from one of the city county buildings wasting my tax dollars while you play play on the internet while at work. It would be nice to call up the city and get some waste of tax dollars off the payroll.

Now at 10 AM... where does it say I am "located" ?
DUH !
Get some sleep

Honolulu, HI

#21 May 19, 2008
<quoted text>HEY
"SLUGGO" have you been hit in the head too many times or are you just naturally that arrogant and prejudiced ?
1) if you see the time stamp on the message, GENIUS, you will see that it was done at almost 3 am. the least of my concern is getting my spelling correct for the cyber nazi's like you.
2) if you had any level of intelligence, GENIUS, and were to BOTHER to drop your prejudice to learn anything... you would quickly find out that the "location" is based on the computers IP address. That is a relative thing as I was sitting in Waikiki on my laptop computer hooked to verizons wireless "broadband" internet connection. It gives me an IP address of the RANDOM LAND LINE that it connects to after it bounces off of a few satellites. I have lived in Waikiki for 3 years. Hence that is why I used the word "HERE" as the last word in my very first sentence. But you are too blind or dumb, or ignorant, or prejudice to even read and comprehend what is clearly sitting directly in front of you.
Your so prejudice and lack such a FUNDAMENTAL understanding of technology. You don't know what you don't know but yet are confident to announce to the world your opinion of ignorance. Since you just demonstrated your ignorance obviously you must be even more ignorant and prejudice about other things in life. Attitude such as yours is typically not isolated to a single incident or confined to a single fragment of your personality.
Too bad it doesn't show what YOUR IP address is then I can see if you were logged on from one of the city county buildings wasting my tax dollars while you play play on the internet while at work. It would be nice to call up the city and get some waste of tax dollars off the payroll.
Now at 10 AM... where does it say I am "located" ?
DUH !
No more coffee for you!
Kupuna

Honolulu, HI

#22 May 19, 2008
Kupono wrote:
Stop Inouye from trying to shove down our throats the Akaka Bill!
Stop Aiona from trying to shove down our throats another do nothing convention, we will have to pay for...to promote his run for office and give help to his party that is losing a lost cause.
Lingle is pro miliary and many are not, Lingle supports Bush and most people in Hawai'i don't for good reasons, the war in Iraq was wrong from the get go and now innocent people are being killed in their homelands losing their families. It's time to end the 120 years of illegal occupation, to resolve the Hawai'i question in a peaceful and diplomatic way...with aloha.
You're absolutely right! When our leaders finally come to their senses, we might even see some peaceful solutions in our lifetime.
Mahalo for sharing your aloha.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tam Ho not guilty in Maui incident - Hawaii News (Oct '09) Feb '15 Frustrated 43
Kula Music Thread Feb '15 Musikologist 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jan '15 Musikologist 10
News Police probing fatal jump (Jul '07) Jan '15 Keoni alfapada 16
Rudeness (Mar '14) Jan '15 SoontoRetire 3
News Hawaii homes not among top 10 (Sep '09) Dec '14 Bmused Artwork 4
News Monsanto files suit in effort to block Maui's G... Nov '14 Joe Balls 3
More from around the web

Kula People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]