No Loko a No Waho - Hawaii Editorials

No Loko a No Waho - Hawaii Editorials

There are 25 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jul 18, 2009, titled No Loko a No Waho - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

I nA makahiki 1820, ua kA kulu 'ia he mau kula 'A lelo PelekA nia no nA keiki a nA mikionali 'ili ke'oke'o, akA , i ka MH 1839, ua ho'okumu 'ia ke kula no nA keiki ali'i Hawai'i i Moanalua a a'o 'ia ma ka 'A lelo PelekA nia wale nA .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
aloha

Honolulu, HI

#1 Jul 18, 2009
the people would like equal time--translations in ilocano, spanish, french, japanese, mandarin, and portuguese to start---

“Kokokahi -We are all one blood”

Since: Mar 08

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jul 18, 2009
E nana 'oukou i keia:

"Was Hawaiian Language Illegal? Did the Evil Haoles Suppress Hawaiian Language As A Way of Oppressing Kanaka Maoli and Destroying Their Culture?"

http://tinyurl.com/6zrka

“Hawai'i loa kulike 'oukou.”

Since: Feb 09

London, Na mokupuni Beretannia

#3 Jul 18, 2009
-A Hawaiian National wrote: "It pains me to witness the schools and statues that have been erected in the missionaries honor. To this day Hawaiians are being cheated out of what is rightfully theirs." The missionaries done some good the translation of Hawaiian language into print being one example, in context and overall however their effect has been mostly adverse. As Robert G. Ingersoll once said: "The hands that help are better than the lips that pray." www.infidels.org/library/historical/robert~in... Belief in the 4 Primary Hawaiian Akua was strongly discouraged in favor of the Western Yaweh. Did you know there are over 1,000 "gods" in the world? How do we know which is the right one? How many bibles have we read? To find out who are the enemies of reason please view: www.richarddawkins.net/ Mahalo.
dewdalohajoey

United States

#4 Jul 18, 2009
I going Ooof alice.
coolalohajoe

Mililani, HI

#5 Jul 18, 2009
dewdalohajoey wrote:
I going Ooof alice.
Jus' tap me on the shoulder first so I can finish up and get going. And remind me to ask her to pay me. She fergot last time.
alice

Kahului, HI

#6 Jul 18, 2009
Missionaries preserved the language hon. And the missionary schools in the 1820's-1840's were bi-lingual schools sanctioned by the monarchy. Haw Haw loves to invent history.

“Hawai'i loa kulike 'oukou.”

Since: Feb 09

London, Na mokupuni Beretannia

#7 Jul 18, 2009
alice wrote:
Missionaries preserved the language hon. And the missionary schools in the 1820's-1840's were bi-lingual schools sanctioned by the monarchy. Haw Haw loves to invent history.
-Alice hon please read the comment above interpretively, it states: "The missionaries done some good the translation of the Hawaiian language into print being one example." Adjust your reading glasses Alice please, or you will once again make a "spectacle" of yourself.[Haw-Haw]
elijahhawaii

Easley, SC

#8 Jul 18, 2009
Ken Conklin wrote:
blah blah blah
been there ignored that. Aohe o'u nana.
elijahhawaii

Easley, SC

#9 Jul 18, 2009
aloha wrote:
the people would like equal time--translations in ilocano, spanish, french, japanese, mandarin, and portuguese to start---
This has been rehashed 20 times over in topix via other Kauakukalahale columns.

1) Those languages are neither an indigenous language of these islands nor an official language, as Hawaiian is.

2) There exists in Hawaii newspapers in many of those other languages, and they are completely in said languages WITHOUT translaions.

3) It is a column to promote the learning and use of Hawaiian as a stand alone language. Translation would negate said purpose.

You're welcome.
elijahhawaii

Easley, SC

#11 Jul 18, 2009
coolalohajoe wrote:
<quoted text>Jus' tap me on the shoulder first so I can finish up and get going. And remind me to ask her to pay me. She fergot last time.
Uhhh excuse me but...
bestiality is against the law.
moooooolelo

San Diego, CA

#12 Jul 18, 2009
Ua palapala au i ku'u mana'o i keia auinala a 'a'ole i loa'a!'A'ohe o'u ho'ohalahala. Ua aha 'ia?
alice

Kahului, HI

#13 Jul 18, 2009
Lord HawHaw wrote:
<quoted text>-Alice hon please read the comment above interpretively, it states: "The missionaries done some good the translation of the Hawaiian language into print being one example." Adjust your reading glasses Alice please, or you will once again make a "spectacle" of yourself.[Haw-Haw]
well, I do skim in here because I am always multi-tasking. I also think the missionaries did well to itnroduce western medicine, constitutional democracy, literarcy and human kindness. Few hawaiians today would erase any of those things.
dewdalohajoey

United States

#14 Jul 18, 2009
Im pretty sure they'd prefer how it was before the white man came.
nigiri roll

Honolulu, HI

#15 Jul 18, 2009
alice wrote:
<quoted text>well, I do skim in here because I am always multi-tasking. I also think the missionaries did well to itnroduce western medicine, constitutional democracy, literarcy and human kindness. Few hawaiians today would erase any of those things.
Funny you should say how great the Missionaries were. There was no mosquitoes here in Hawaii up until 1840. Same about termites. These samll additions among many more including deseases like small pox,leprosy,and the common cold dessimated these people. What about that Alice? Better keep that partime job doing little dances for commission if I were you. School is not your thing..
dewdalohajoey

United States

#16 Jul 18, 2009
nigiri roll wrote:
<quoted text>Funny you should say how great the Missionaries were. There was no mosquitoes here in Hawaii up until 1840. Same about termites. These samll additions among many more including deseases like small pox,leprosy,and the common cold dessimated these people. What about that Alice? Better keep that partime job doing little dances for commission if I were you. School is not your thing..
wow, u must've been waiting to pounce as soon as she posted this one.
dewdalohajoey

United States

#17 Jul 18, 2009
Too many people with sad, boring lives wasting their time reading/posting on these msg boards.
alice

Kahului, HI

#18 Jul 18, 2009
nigiri roll wrote:
<quoted text>Funny you should say how great the Missionaries were. There was no mosquitoes here in Hawaii up until 1840. Same about termites. These samll additions among many more including deseases like small pox,leprosy,and the common cold dessimated these people. What about that Alice? Better keep that partime job doing little dances for commission if I were you. School is not your thing..
You confuse importations from Asia, Europe and America with the role of the missionaries. Much of this disaease came from 1778-1820, before the missionaries arrived. I know..I took hawaiian studies.
Leeward Lolo

Elgin, IL

#19 Jul 18, 2009
alice wrote:
<quoted text>well, I do skim in here because I am always multi-tasking. I also think the missionaries did well to itnroduce western medicine, constitutional democracy, literarcy and human kindness. Few hawaiians today would erase any of those things.
Just how was the number of Hawaiians reduced from estimates of a million down to 50,000.

Capt. Cook allowing his men to ***** native Hawaiians even though he knew they carried STD.
Leeward Lolo

Elgin, IL

#20 Jul 18, 2009
dewdalohajoey wrote:
Too many people with sad, boring lives wasting their time reading/posting on these msg boards.
Yes dude, it takes all of ten minutes to check out if anything interesting is going on here.
But many are so busy watching MJ developing stories that we have fallen behind.
elijahhawaii

Easley, SC

#21 Jul 18, 2009
moooooolelo wrote:
Ua palapala au i ku'u mana'o i keia auinala a 'a'ole i loa'a!'A'ohe o'u ho'ohalahala. Ua aha 'ia?
Ina oe e hele aku i ka aoao hou ae a aole oe e kali me ka hoomanawanui, aole e palapala ia a paa kou manao. I ka manawa e pai ai i ka "post comment" e kali wale i na kekona he umi.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If you Like Haiku Stairs, Speak Up (Sep '14) Dec 5 FreeTheStairs 30
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov 12 Musikologist 13
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Jul '16 Musikologist 5
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... (Mar '16) Mar '16 DILF 10
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Police and Fire - Hawaii News (Nov '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 4
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3

Kula Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kula Mortgages