Legislators struggle to deal with fai...

Legislators struggle to deal with failing state hospitals - Haw...

There are 34 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Legislators struggle to deal with failing state hospitals - Haw.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Lawmakers in the House want to abolish the Hawaii Health Systems Corp. and temporarily move the 13 public hospitals back to the state Health Department -- a move Health Director Chiyome Fukino says would be "catastrophic." AT RISK Hawaii Health System Corp.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wiliki

Honolulu, HI

#21 Apr 27, 2009
Bad policy to go backwards. At least, we should learn from our errors.
wendell

San Jose, CA

#22 Apr 27, 2009
Mike wrote:
Actually this is a terrific opportunity to show that a government supervised health care system could work just fine. Take the for profit health insurance out of the equation and Hawaii could clean this mess up in 6 months and be a model for the nation. All the average Canadians I've talked to like the Canadian health care system just fine. And Canada devotes far less of it's GDP to health care than we do. Just because an effective model for government supervised health care in this country has not been acheived does not mean that it cannot be done. Many modern industrialized countries have already succeeded in that endeavor.
You must be kidding. Right?

Are you aware that many Canadians come down across for care, especially when they need an MRI, cardiac cath, etc? I never heard of Americans going north to Canada for treatment. Have you?

The UK system is notorious for its quality. Think the Queen uses it?

When traveling to Europe, Expedia and Travelocity encourages you to buy the health insurance package, so you can get a Medevac back to the US for treatment, in case something bad happens. I wonder why?

But I may have missed something. Name me the "many countries" that have a better quality of healthcare service than in the US.
Mike

Ronan, MT

#23 Apr 27, 2009
Yes Wendall 45 million people without insurance, millions of families one catastrohic illness away from bankruptcy and many of those families with insurance, to name just a couple of the things. Also faceless insurance company bureaucrats more dedicated to the shareholders dividend payments than the proper care of their clients Little control over blillions of dollars worth of fraud, and the fact that medicare generally works quite well.Gov ernment run medicare by the way.
wendell

San Jose, CA

#24 Apr 27, 2009
Mike wrote:
Yes Wendall 45 million people without insurance, millions of families one catastrohic illness away from bankruptcy and many of those families with insurance, to name just a couple of the things. Also faceless insurance company bureaucrats more dedicated to the shareholders dividend payments than the proper care of their clients Little control over blillions of dollars worth of fraud, and the fact that medicare generally works quite well.Gov ernment run medicare by the way.
Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Now I know you're a nut, with little more than talking points bereft of facts to espouse a questionable agenda.

Have a nice day anyway.
Voice of Reason

Kapolei, HI

#25 Apr 27, 2009
Let me get this straight. The Honolulu Star Bulletin is telling us our majority elected Democrat majority in the state legislature is failing to deal with another huge issue. And next election cycle the Star Bulletin will endorse every single democrat.!!!
alice

Pahoa, HI

#26 Apr 27, 2009
more incompetence from the state. Where is our no-show governor now that we need some leadership?
Mike

Ronan, MT

#27 Apr 27, 2009
Wendall, which K-Street health insurance lobbying firm did you say you work for? You have their talking points down pat. But as Republicrats are fond of saying, elections have consequences and as you may have noticed the Republicrats lost the most recent one rather badly. Your anecdotal attributions are one's repeated over and over again by opponents of health care reform. They are getting a little dated. You offered no factual refutations of my previous posting just a personal attack and that is not unusual for those of your ilk. I must say I had hoped for better.
lost for words

Pahoa, HI

#28 Apr 27, 2009
SB front page doesn't have a single article on what's looking like a killer flu pandemic? What in the heck is wrong with this newspaper?
Watcher

Honolulu, HI

#29 Apr 27, 2009
Mike wrote:
Actually this is a terrific opportunity to show that a government supervised health care system could work just fine. Take the for profit health insurance out of the equation and Hawaii could clean this mess up in 6 months and be a model for the nation. All the average Canadians I've talked to like the Canadian health care system just fine. And Canada devotes far less of it's GDP to health care than we do. Just because an effective model for government supervised health care in this country has not been acheived does not mean that it cannot be done. Many modern industrialized countries have already succeeded in that endeavor.
Would Americans tolerate rationing of health care & more limited access to specialized equipment such as CT scannners, specialty doctors & Medivac flights? Perhaps we should ask the family of the late actress Natasha Richardson what they think of Canda's socialized medicine.
kokua

Waianae, HI

#30 Apr 28, 2009
One thing the leg. failed to do was deal with tort reform & co-payments from health insurers like Medicare & HMSA. Until that issue is fixed public as well as private health care behind the 8 ball.
Dino

Koloa, HI

#31 Apr 28, 2009
Doesn't anyone have friends and / or relatives in any of these hospitals?! Since they've been under HHSC, the hospitals continue to improve and do quite well despite a most difficult situation (after inheriting a debt-ridden operation). Why go backwards and transfer them back under the DOH, even temporarily?!
puna guy

Waipahu, HI

#32 Apr 30, 2009
Mike wrote:
Actually this is a terrific opportunity to show that a government supervised health care system could work just fine. Take the for profit health insurance out of the equation and Hawaii could clean this mess up in 6 months and be a model for the nation. All the average Canadians I've talked to like the Canadian health care system just fine. And Canada devotes far less of it's GDP to health care than we do. Just because an effective model for government supervised health care in this country has not been acheived does not mean that it cannot be done. Many modern industrialized countries have already succeeded in that endeavor.
Having lived in Detroit for 40 years, yes a lot of the Canadians are happy, but being in the health care field, I can also state for a fact they are concerned that those that get stuck waiting for an MRI (typical in MANAGED HEALTH CARE) feel blessed they can come to the US today.

How can ANY sane person think an bureaucratic inept government can do a better job?

So we are all going to suffer due to some poor parent spending their money on smokes and brew rather than health care for their kids?

Get a clue Mikie!
Anonymous T Spooky

Waianae, HI

#33 Apr 30, 2009
Dino wrote:
Doesn't anyone have friends and / or relatives in any of these hospitals?! Since they've been under HHSC, the hospitals continue to improve and do quite well despite a most difficult situation (after inheriting a debt-ridden operation). Why go backwards and transfer them back under the DOH, even temporarily?!
Because the DOH will contract with people that some of you don't want on "your" island.
That's why.
Health Care Advocate

Kaneohe, HI

#35 May 1, 2009
Believe it or not, with the right CFO, CEO, & COO in place, HHSC could at least break even, instead of breaking the state's bank.

There are qualified individuals on the islands capable of improving the financial situation of some of these hospitals. Only problem is officials & health care professionals fail to recognize the talent, knowledge, and ability of those in the local population willing to address the problem.

I have, first hand, been witness to this.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... Mar '16 DILF 10
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Feb '16 Musikologist 12
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... Feb '16 ben 1
News Police and Fire - Hawaii News (Nov '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 4
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Oct '15 Musikologist 4
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3
News Maui Superferry Ruling a Blow to Company, a Vic... (Oct '07) Jun '15 Treetop rider 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kula Mortgages