Rural Alaska Steeped in Sexual Violence

Rural Alaska Steeped in Sexual Violence

There are 9 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 29, 2008, titled Rural Alaska Steeped in Sexual Violence. In it, Newsday reports that:

The state has long suffered the highest sexual assault rate in the nation, and the problem is worst in rural areas, according to a report released Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

LIer

Hicksville, NY

#1 Jan 30, 2008
Long, cold winters?
Idea

Washington, DC

#2 Jan 30, 2008
North to Alaska!
jenny

United States

#4 Feb 22, 2008
LIer wrote:
Long, cold winters?
not long cold winters. Lack of consequences. Sexual assault is an accepted practice. To quote an elder who brought small children in to the ER for a sexual assualt exam "they will be ok. It happened to me and I am ok".
Brian

Moravian Falls, NC

#6 Dec 8, 2008
I guess that's one part of the culture that actually needs to be changed.
John McCain

White Plains, NY

#7 Dec 8, 2008
What do you expect with a republican governor?
Freezin em Off

Coram, NY

#8 Dec 8, 2008
Sexual violence in rural Alaska?

Is the sex crimes unit getting complaints from caribou?

If you're a predator and you have to wait behind a pine tree for a few decades until someone goes by, I guess it could get real ugly.
Yeah right

Fort Lee, NJ

#9 Dec 8, 2008
Bend ovah, barbie...
joe

Denver, CO

#10 Jan 7, 2009
Sorry bastard! Don't let me pull you over!
Fux you

Anchorage, AK

#11 Jan 27, 2009
You are all so dumb its not part of culture, it is just there. We can say you guys are druggies, and that its apart of your culture, wel its not its just there! Loser.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kotzebue Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rare visit from Interior secretary, top politic... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Kerry 1
News Iditarod restart in Fairbanks has communities r... (Feb '15) Feb '15 22 ski doo 1
News Unusual Seismic Activity Continues Near Noatak (Jun '14) Jun '14 Sneaky Pete 6
News Strange 'swarm' of earthquakes near Noatak conf... (Jun '14) Jun '14 SimplyLoveYou 2
News Decline of Western Arctic caribou herd raises q... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Kotzebue 1
News Seismologists answer the call to rural Alaska (Jun '14) Jun '14 Kotzebue 1
News Strange 'swarm' of earthquakes near Noatak conf... (Jun '14) Jun '14 other reading 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kotzebue Mortgages