No smooth political sailing for Hawaii ferry - The Honolulu Adv...

Comment on this story A special session of the state Legislature may be called depending on tomorrow's ruling by a Maui judge on the Hawaii Superferry. Full Story
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

Aiea, HI

#1 Oct 7, 2007
Lame
hilarious

San Antonio, TX

#2 Oct 7, 2007
Totally lame. Almost laughable.
John White-Honolulu

Keaau, HI

#3 Oct 7, 2007
---I hope Judge Cardoza will see the light and let the HSF sail without restriction during the EA. All the testimony really doesn't prove anything. Each side was able to counter against the other.
---Since the Judge had a hand in the go-ahead for the HSF in 2005 he should give the HSF his benefit of the doubt during the EA. The HSC has only ordered the EA and did not otherwise interpret the wording of the law "condition precedent" in their 104 pages of yadda yadda. The improvements are already done. Hall et. al. do not represent the rest of us who don't support the self-appointed environmental groups.
---If the Judge rules against the HSF or imposes speed restrictions that make the RT to Maui and the RT to Kauai impossible on a daily basis, then the legislature should step in to correct the law and fix all that got us to this point. However achieved, exemptions were made, plans were given the go-ahead, and the HSC's timing when they had the case for some while stinks. The right thing to do is to let HSF sail, either at the just hand of the judge, or by the will of the people through special legislative session.
Hawaiianjustice

Chadwick, IL

#4 Oct 7, 2007
If Lingle and her out-of-state business cronies call for a special session in the face of Judge Cardoza's decision, what ever his decision may be, watch out. What manipulations of the law will come next? What message does she send? If you have money and you want to thwart the law for your own profits, come on down, Lingle is here to help, Hawaii Law be damned.

GET AN EA/EIS FIRST.
Papa

Boston, MA

#5 Oct 7, 2007
If Cardoza doesn't rule in HSF's favor, it will send a loud and clear message to businesses on the other sides of the Big Pond that Hawaii is not business-friendly.
Then what? The malihini environmentalistas will go against NCL? Matson? Young Brothers? They all travel the same route, burn petrofuels, haul lots of passengers and vehicles (well, not NCL, but they more than make up in passenger numbers than what the HSF carries in cars) and use the same harbors. And if they whack a whale on the way to Kahului, do they report it? Haven't seen anything in all the years I've been here. Whalewatching boats? Oh, yeah, I've heard a lot about them hitting whales, even killing a passenger or two in the process!
Don't bite the hand that feeds ya, transplanted environmentalistas. Oh, yeah, right...your pakalolo farms will get you through times of no job and no money, especially when mommy & daddy withhold your trust fund money on the Mainland.
kapahi youth

Honolulu, HI

#6 Oct 7, 2007
oh the drama,what political theatre! the governor's on a ship in distress. the evil environmentals hold her hostage in the harbor. who will bail her and her corporate pirates out first before they send fukunaga to walk the plank above the surfer infested waters. send in the coast guard, call out the national guard. the legislature to the rescue!! this sets up the next us senate race very well. can't wait for the sequel! lmao ho ho hee hee
Chang

Dudley, NC

#7 Oct 7, 2007
Finally!

The Star-Bulletin has conducted the first ever independent poll of island attitudes toward the Superferry.
There were previous polls, but they were sponsored by Superferry so many people didn't find them credible.

They polled 600 people, 150 people each on Oahu, Maui, Big Island and Kauai.

67% of respondents overall said they would use the Ferry. It was most popular on Oahu and BI, where 70% were in favor. Half of Maui and Kauai residents said they would use it.

Q: Do you think SF should undergo Enviromental Assessment?

Oahu: Yes 36% No 46%
Maui: Yes 69% No 23%
BigI: Yes 48% No 37%
Kauai Yes 64% No 27%

Q. Should SF be allowed to operate right away while the EA is being done?

Oahu: Yes 68% No 18%
Maui: Yes 44% No 46%
BigI: Yes 62% No 30%
Kauai Yes 52% No 40%

Q. Do you consider the SF running into a whale a problem?

Big problem 20%
Small problem 30%
Not a problem 40%

*38% on Maui and 30% on Kauai thought it was a big problem

Q. Do you consider traffic and congestion during loading /unloading a problem?

Big problem 12%
Small problem 37%
Not a problem 44%

*40% on Maui and Kauai thought it was a big problem)

Q. Do you consider the SF bringing non-native species to each island a problem?

Big problem 18%
Small problem 29%
Not a problem 44%

*38% of Maui and 41% of Kauai thought it was a big problem.

To me, the major flaw in this poll is that they had equal numbers of people from each island. If it had been weighted for population, the results would look more pro-SF.

Food for thought if there's a special legislative session.

Full results here:
http://starbulletin.com/2007/10/07/news/story...
Super ferry supporter

Honolulu, HI

#8 Oct 7, 2007
I am definitely a supporter. Where can I sign up to PROTEST the Maui injunction of the supperferry and Kauai protesters. I am sick of hearing about the protest against the ferry when we the majority of hawaii wants and in some cases (in particular individuals who have medical care on Oahu) NEED the superferry. I am ready to STOP TRAFFIC and PROTEST at the legislature with my WHEELCHAIR if needed!!!
Westsideray in Waianae

Aiea, HI

#9 Oct 7, 2007
If Judge Cardoza says the Super Ferry can't sail, I hope you News Investigation Teams get out there and check his Bank Records to see if he deposited a LARGE amount of money from a gift from some Barge Co. Check to see if he bought a NEW HUMMER or some other expensive SUV. Maybe he will be taking a 1st Class Trip to some foreign country and stay at a 5 star hotel.Plenty money to blow in Vegas.

That would make some national and worldwide news to be talked about for months.
Kaipo

Kaunakakai, HI

#10 Oct 7, 2007
This is sickening. Let the boat sail! I'll bet that matson, yb, and the airlines are prompting these enivormentalists. Look at the case agianst mesa air.
What has this state come to?
Bill

United States

#11 Oct 7, 2007
Westsideray in Waianae wrote:
If Judge Cardoza says the Super Ferry can't sail, I hope you News Investigation Teams get out there and check his Bank Records to see if he deposited a LARGE amount of money from a gift from some Barge Co. Check to see if he bought a NEW HUMMER or some other expensive SUV. Maybe he will be taking a 1st Class Trip to some foreign country and stay at a 5 star hotel.Plenty money to blow in Vegas.
That would make some national and worldwide news to be talked about for months.
A corrupt judge or politician taking a bribe wouldn't make national or worldwide news. It wouldn't get a moments notice even if you're ridiculous scenario were found to be true.
Susie

United States

#12 Oct 7, 2007
Not only does this impact business and tourism, but killing the SF affects the local population also. The air line has already said it will raise prices. Affordable travel between the islands is a neccessity.
ovphoto

Honolulu, HI

#13 Oct 7, 2007
Hawaiianjustice wrote:
If Lingle and her out-of-state business cronies call for a special session in the face of Judge Cardoza's decision, what ever his decision may be, watch out. What manipulations of the law will come next? What message does she send? If you have money and you want to thwart the law for your own profits, come on down, Lingle is here to help, Hawaii Law be damned.
GET AN EA/EIS FIRST.
your from Illinois what the hell do you know about hawaii?
Yeah Right

United States

#14 Oct 7, 2007
Kaipo wrote:
This is sickening. Let the boat sail! I'll bet that matson, yb, and the airlines are prompting these enivormentalists. Look at the case agianst mesa air.
What has this state come to?
Conspiracy theorist?
Doraemon

Honolulu, HI

#15 Oct 7, 2007
Sure do want to take my gas guzzling 4X4 out!

Ack! Roadkill!

Just roll 'em in the bushes. Its make already.
Uncle

Haiku, HI

#16 Oct 7, 2007
kika3111 wrote:
Lame
I havent even read the story yet and I know it has to be right on! because sicko doesnt like it. Didnt judge Cardoza call the Lahainaluna vs.King Keaulike game last nite? Ok now I will go read the story! ;)
Uncle

Haiku, HI

#17 Oct 7, 2007
50% of the countys in the State want an EA. Just Do It!
Uncle

Haiku, HI

#18 Oct 7, 2007
Yeah Right wrote:
<quoted text>
Conspiracy theorist?
How does Matson propmpt me?
Uncle

Haiku, HI

#19 Oct 7, 2007
Susie wrote:
Not only does this impact business and tourism, but killing the SF affects the local population also. The air line has already said it will raise prices. Affordable travel between the islands is a neccessity.
My dear what gave you the impreesion the SewerFairy was affordable?
Uncle

Haiku, HI

#20 Oct 7, 2007
John Radcliffe, another Superferry lobbyist, circulated a survey at the state Capitol last week that showed that 72 percent of people interviewed believe the Legislature should intervene and save the Superferry.

The survey was paid for by Superferry and involved 300 people weighted in proportion to the state's population, with 71 percent of the respondents on O'ahu, where support for the project is considered stronger than on the Neighbor Islands. Ten percent of the survey's respondents were on Maui and 5 percent were on Kaua'i, where protesters blocked the ferry from Nawiliwili Harbor

These Sewrfairy guys are a complete nightmare!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Koloa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New record temperatures set at Lihue, Honolulu ... Oct '14 Joe Balls 1
Kauai Water Department wins approval of explora... (Oct '12) Sep '14 Seth Ashford 2
Insurer punished for failing to pay claim - News (Jan '09) May '14 Quakteanro Gugili... 49
Kauai Fire Department seeks more overtime funds (Apr '14) May '14 shara 2
Kauai man gets 30 days in jail for cruelty to a... (Feb '10) May '14 common sense 2
Proof on website proving Police Misconduct and ... (Apr '06) May '14 KauaiBatman 12
State timeshare properties prove popular with o... (Feb '09) May '14 Julia Anderson 3
Koloa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Koloa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Koloa News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Koloa

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:36 pm PST

CBS Sports 2:36PM