Trees give way to stores

Trees give way to stores

There are 15 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 5, 2008, titled Trees give way to stores. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Monkeypods that Koloa residents tried to save are cut down By Tom Finnegan [email protected] KOLOA, Kauai After years of wrangling, months of candlelight vigils and at least two lawsuits, a number of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Kahanamoku

Ventura, CA

#1 Mar 5, 2008
Our people are in great great danger now!
Love Waianae

Ewa Beach, HI

#2 Mar 5, 2008
Just what Hawaii needs, another mall so we can shop for more junk shipped in from China. Another coffee shop next to a hair salon, with parking spaces so narrow your car door can't be opened without scratching something. Man, that's nice. The owners should be proud of what they're doing for the Aina.
KANAKA NUI

Lihue, HI

#3 Mar 5, 2008
What happened to save da tree people from Honolulu? How come they never go Kauai and save the trees.
BEAU TOICHI

Honolulu, HI

#4 Mar 5, 2008
Why do people think they "own" the trees if they don't own the property? Just because they are used to it being there and the property owners never developed their property doesn't mean the people own the trees. If it was my property i would have cut down a branch one at a time and laugh at everybody.
KBoy

Washington, DC

#5 Mar 5, 2008
I lived right there, behind Surf N Cycle, in the 70s. We'd have lunch under those trees. There was a big movement to save the aina. Everyone celebrated because they thought they stopped development. Now look...cane fields all gone, Shipwreck's all gone, Mahalepu all gone. Now it's all hotels for the rich. I moved to Oahu where I expected rampant development. I can't go back to Kauai anymore. It breaks my heart to see the lack of respect for the aina and the chase after the might dollar. Soon, Kauai, you will just be another suburb. They paved paradise...
Muffin Hanumanu

Honolulu, HI

#6 Mar 5, 2008
KANAKA NUI wrote:
What happened to save da tree people from Honolulu? How come they never go Kauai and save the trees.
hey I thought you didn't want people from Honolulu in Kauai, remember the superferry incident? now you need us there? well screw you and your funky island deal with it is called evolution.
Doug Wampole

AOL

#7 Mar 5, 2008
We visit Hawaii each year , staying on Maui one week and rotating the other islands the second week. We always considered Kauai the last real Hawaii holdout. Slowly it goes away. Sorry to see this area develop.
Pitchfork

San Diego, CA

#8 Mar 5, 2008
KBoy wrote:
I lived right there, behind Surf N Cycle, in the 70s..
Then I probably know you....I lived behind Yamamoto Store (now Crazy Shirts). Regardless, the Koloa that we knew is long gone.
Koloa Localboy

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Mar 6, 2008
Pitchfork wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I probably know you....I lived behind Yamamoto Store (now Crazy Shirts). Regardless, the Koloa that we knew is long gone.

Howzit? Ahhh, da good old days and I probably know you guys too! I grew up in Koloa(Kawamoto Store now Tomcats, Koloa Broiler and Chang Fook Store.)was my favorite stops before development took over. Sad but at least I enjoyed the fun times of playing in these trees as a boy!
BEAU TOICHI

Honolulu, HI

#10 Mar 6, 2008
But as okay, think of today's kids and the future ones, now they won't have the scoldings of no go climb the tree and fall down so we can sue. Now they will have safe good memories of growing up hanging out in the strip mall parking lot where it is safe.
Tree Saver

Kaneohe, HI

#11 Mar 6, 2008
We failed. But not because we didn't fight. The Kauai Outdoor Circle joined with Koloa residents and others to try to save the trees. The efforts were exhaustive and expensive but in the end the Michigan developer and the local Knudsen Family Trust turned their backs on Kauai, Koloa and on common sense. Let's hope the community does everything possible to make this new shopping center as successful as it deserves to be.
BEAU TOICHI

Honolulu, HI

#12 Mar 6, 2008
We didn't fail. We now will have a new shopping center! Now no need drive to Lihue! Hopefully they put in a good restaurant like McDonalds.
Pitchfork

San Diego, CA

#13 Mar 6, 2008
Koloa Localboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Howzit? Ahhh, da good old days and I probably know you guys too! I grew up in Koloa(Kawamoto Store now Tomcats, Koloa Broiler and Chang Fook Store.)was my favorite stops before development took over. Sad but at least I enjoyed the fun times of playing in these trees as a boy!
Right on koloa Localboy! One day when we retire, we'll be neighbors again. Hopefully some trees will still be there.
Kahikokeiki

Melrose Park, IL

#14 Mar 8, 2008
It sickens me that they cut down those beautiful trees. I remember when I saw them for the first time 10 years ago,(25 visits ago), and I thought how wonderful it was to see a land that was not overdeveloped, to see trees so old. Shame on the developers who were so interested in making a buck, that they could not find a way to include the trees in their nearsighted plan. Pave Paradise Put Up A Parking Lot ! Less paradise = less tourists to shop at their mall. Those trees were loved by so many people! I had hoped to show them to my grandchildren's children some day. Another shopping mall made of ticky tacky -(and they all look just the same), is not what Kaua'i needs. I hope that the people of Kaua'i can stop the overdevelopement, and save their Aina before it is all paved. My sympathies to the people of Koloa.
Jeru

Addison, IL

#15 Mar 9, 2008
Makes as much sense as opening up a neiman marcus in Waianae.

If developers are so hard up for land, then why dont we start digging up cemetaries and develop that land?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Koloa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Proof on website proving Police Misconduct and ... (Apr '06) Sep 16 anaon 13
Omao Music Thread (Sep '15) Jun '16 Musikologist 3
Eleele Music Thread (Feb '16) Feb '16 Musikologist 1
News Former church secretary jailed for theft - Hawa... (Dec '08) Jan '16 Victim 12
News Insurer punished for failing to pay claim - News (Jan '09) May '15 Joe Balls 51
News New record temperatures set at Lihue, Honolulu ... (Oct '14) May '15 Joe Balls 3
News Walgreens scraps plans for first Kauai store at... (May '15) May '15 Mole 1

Koloa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Koloa Mortgages