Clash over new ferry exposes Hawaii d...

Clash over new ferry exposes Hawaii divide - The Honolulu Adver...

There are 343 comments on the The Honolulu Advertiser story from Sep 23, 2007, titled Clash over new ferry exposes Hawaii divide - The Honolulu Adver.... In it, The Honolulu Advertiser reports that:

Comment on this story People gathered at the County Building in Lihu'e on Kaua'i Thursday to attend a meeting called by Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Honolulu Advertiser.

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
The commentator

Maunaloa, HI

#1 Sep 23, 2007
I bet a lot of people are going to comment on this story
sally

Haleiwa, HI

#2 Sep 23, 2007
well done article, truly reaching sources for frustrations felt on neighbor islands regarding development and the super ferry.

there is a difference between travel by plane and the superferry: allowing the unloading of cars, trucks and vehicles that may or may not be in condition to return. There is no examination of these vehicles in place that equals the airport security.
Kimo Werner von Takazawa

San Diego, CA

#3 Sep 23, 2007
Governor Lingle's condescending talk on Kaua'i reeked of the good 'ole days when the plantation luna told you what was good for you. There was no discussion or collaborative dialogue back then - it just seems that Lingle's "new beginning" is just a return to a time and place punctuated by events such as the Massie murder, the plantation store and the ethnic camps on the plantation. We've been there; we've done that. But I suppose that the model for Lingle's actions derive in large part from that of her mentor and friend in Washington D.C., George W. Bush. Governor Lingle has lost the confidence of neighbor islands in her handling of this Superferry incident. This is the "new beginning" coming to the same old ending.
Ron Stanford

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Sep 23, 2007
Congratulations to all who successfully resisted the corporate interests that have turned Oahu and now the other islands into a privatized, concrete jungle.

The ferry would simply accelerate the mass tourism frenzy that makes ALL Hawaiian islands a less desirable place to visit.

I'm much more likely to return with my family to Hawaii if such projects as the Ferry are defeated.
Kimo Werner von Takazawa

San Diego, CA

#5 Sep 23, 2007
I agree with Sally - the article attempts to identify the sources of frustration regarding development. I am however disappointed in the hesitancy of the major daily newspapers in being more aggressive in researching and investigating how and why the Lingle Administration got involved in promoting the Superferry in this state. Someone needs to hold Linda Lingle's administration accountable. Yes, it is painful, but it needs to be done. No one has investigated or reported on this how and why aspect. Don't you think that the senior editors and publishers of the two major dailies should quit capitulating to Lenny Klompus and Russell Pang and start looking at documentation in the DOT's and the Governor's files?
Hawaiianjustice

Moline, IL

#6 Sep 23, 2007
Kimo Werner von Takazawa wrote:
I agree with Sally - the article attempts to identify the sources of frustration regarding development. I am however disappointed in the hesitancy of the major daily newspapers in being more aggressive in researching and investigating how and why the Lingle Administration got involved in promoting the Superferry in this state. Someone needs to hold Linda Lingle's administration accountable. Yes, it is painful, but it needs to be done. No one has investigated or reported on this how and why aspect. Don't you think that the senior editors and publishers of the two major dailies should quit capitulating to Lenny Klompus and Russell Pang and start looking at documentation in the DOT's and the Governor's files?
Kimo, you hit on a good point, investigate what Lingles true motives are. We on Kauai have been fighting her and her greed based cronies for years. They wanted to bulldoze Kokee and construct mega hotels up there, she never said a word when our local nurses were fighting for patient care, she reduced the library hours for our kids. Kauaians are fed up. She promised state funds to releive traffic in the Wailua corridor. Never happened to date. But she can find the time and money to travel to New York and Tel Aviv to solicit big money. The Superferry is another swipe at the degradation of Kauaians lives for the profits of the greedy friends of Lingle.
haleiwa7

Hawthorne, CA

#7 Sep 23, 2007
i can understand some of the complaints that the people of Kauai and Maui has BUT lets take a look as some points WHO are the ones allowing the massive expensive homes on the beachs to be built by the rich individuals and corportaints??? maybe the first place to look is stopping this. who are the real people that are disagreeing with this the mainland transplants who MOVED to the islands and built these homes (2nd homes perhaps) that caused the increas of property taxes; made is hard for the local individual to afford in the beach communities? GET rid of the super ferry and have the opposing side pay higher taxes; pay for the unemployment;of the people of Hawaii. start there; i feel the superferry may bring more cars and tourist to the islands BUT won't that help the financial economy on those islands OR do these people just like getting by montly. i had to move to the mainland to make a living for myself because the islands could not do that for me i have been here for 25 years and go back yearly; i read the newspaper daily. i would like to move back BUT the economy there still SUCKS. i see how the rich have built homes on the beachs of the North Shore of Oahu like they did in Malibu and make it hard to get to the beaches and it disgusts me. So lets start there let them pay the increase taxes let them pay for unemploymnet and housing welfare.
Cat Manapua

Saint George, UT

#8 Sep 23, 2007
The problems of Hawaii did not appear overnight. They are the end result of decisions taken over the past 50 years.

Interesting that the same political party has been in office during that time. Interesting that the same cast of characters gets voted back into office each election. You know the guys - the ones who buddy up to support the unions, encourage rampant development, ignore the limitations imposed by finite resources such as water, bring home monstrously huge pork barrel funds for construction, transit and military projects.

We keep putting the same guys into office and we keep expecting a different result - the classic definition of insanity. Everybody talks about wanting change.

You really want change? Simply decide to vote out every single incumbent you can. Boot 'em. Start over. Impose your will as the electorate. Send a message that this is the end of business as usual. No exceptions, they all got to go. Now, there's a real protest!
No Supa Ferry

United States

#9 Sep 23, 2007
I don't want to be a suburb of Oahu.
Luis Raul

East Stroudsburg, PA

#10 Sep 23, 2007
Their are few areas in our country that is as beautiful than the Hawaiian islands. It just makes sense to preserve this idyllic setting from over development. As it is, the only people who will be able to enjoy its richness are the wealthy. Property values are so inflated that its becoming a haven for the rich. Regular middles class folk in a few years won't be able to see theese beautiful islands. It seems it just more and more expensive to live and visit the Hawaiin Islands. Except for the greedy developers and the rich.
manini_fish

Henderson, NV

#11 Sep 23, 2007
Again and again the "first haole syndrome" continues to surface. In this syndrome every haole that comes to Hawaii Nei thinks he/she is the first haole to come here. He/she in due time wants to make rules or other impediments to keep all the other haoles out. Trying to block a viable alternate means of transportation is unamerican.
sjcresident

Sunnyvale, CA

#12 Sep 23, 2007
What is needed is non-tourist business growth than can employ residents. Local city councils could support small scale software development, translation services and more, given the diversity in backgrounds and cultures of residents. Small scale will more readily connect residents with their futures and avoid the "big corporation" feelings that often drive additional large real estate development.

Also show some real independence, and replace the Union Jack on the state flag with a more local symbol while you're at it ...
No Supa Ferry

United States

#13 Sep 23, 2007
manini_fish wrote:
Again and again the "first haole syndrome" continues to surface. In this syndrome every haole that comes to Hawaii Nei thinks he/she is the first haole to come here. He/she in due time wants to make rules or other impediments to keep all the other haoles out. Trying to block a viable alternate means of transportation is unamerican.
Wow. That's amazing. You've got every single "haole" figured out. So, they're un-american and obviously ignorant too since they all think they are the only "haole" in the state.
News flash. There are just as many natives opposed to the SF as there are "haoles". Probably more so.
And by the way, your governor is a haole, the SF people are haoles, and the builders of the SF are haoles. How does this work into your theory?

And since you said this: "He/she in due time wants to make rules or other impediments to keep all the other haoles out. "

What about the countless reports of Hawaiian native violence toward "haoles" when defending "their" beaches and surf spots. Are they trying to keep them out? Isn't that un-american? "This is a local beach haole. We were grown here, you were flown here."

Your hypocrisy is staggering.
Wake up

AOL

#14 Sep 23, 2007
Finally people are waking up to the OVER development of the islands for rich mainland/asian types. ITs sad the SF which will probably help out locals more than tourists have gotten the anger, when it should have been done years ago when the islands were being paved over for new homes/condos for the RICH only.

People the SF is not the problem its the goverment that keeps rezoning land and are more than happy when new developments come to the islands with huge $$$$ and prices for homes that maybe a few locals will buy.

Hawaii is the place for all the Rich from the mainland/asia come for second homes and investments.
That is where the problem comes from not the SF.
the tax man

Honolulu, HI

#15 Sep 23, 2007
we paid taxes to keep our roads pot hole free. with more cars coming to our island, and running on our roads, we will get more pot holes than normal. this in turn means higher road taxes.
Todd

Kapaau, HI

#16 Sep 23, 2007
Absolutely the most retarded story I've ever heard. Let's be clear here. There is a very vocal minority of people who oppose the fairy and unfortunately the media always latches onto this and plays it up. It makes great news. Most people in Hawaii and I mean a large percentage want the Superferry because it is good for us and good for business. So quit writing retarded stories and making retarded assumptions.
Jim Jam

North Little Rock, AR

#17 Sep 23, 2007
Don't worry. Before you know it Hawaii will be a sewer like New Jersey and people will stop coming. You can't roll back the clock but if you don't stop the development (the ferry is not the problem you know, it is just the proverbial straw that broke the back) then yes, your limited resources will be strained to the point of no return. When your primary industry is tourism (and peole wanting to live there after visiting) you are in a downward sprial already.
Reward for Lost Kitten

Honolulu, HI

#18 Sep 23, 2007
Cat Manapua wrote:
The problems of Hawaii did not appear overnight. They are the end result of decisions taken over the past 50 years.
Interesting that the same political party has been in office during that time. Interesting that the same cast of characters gets voted back into office each election. You know the guys - the ones who buddy up to support the unions, encourage rampant development, ignore the limitations imposed by finite resources such as water, bring home monstrously huge pork barrel funds for construction, transit and military projects.
We keep putting the same guys into office and we keep expecting a different result - the classic definition of insanity. Everybody talks about wanting change.
You really want change? Simply decide to vote out every single incumbent you can. Boot 'em. Start over. Impose your will as the electorate. Send a message that this is the end of business as usual. No exceptions, they all got to go. Now, there's a real protest!
I think your description of the usual cast of characters is WHY they are voted into office. The average voter is either apathetic when it comes to environmental/growth issues, or effectively slanted pro-development. He/she cares more about construction & government jobs, having a WalMart to shop at, more roads as a perceived solution to more traffic, a convenient Superferry for interisland trips, and new subdivisions for their kids/grandkids to live in. They may give lip service to things like preserving the environment, but it's not a priority, so long as their "backyard" is left alone. I think more often than we may realize or want to admit, we basically get what we want from life. And for better or worse, what you see here is pretty much a collective reflection of that.
Tempest

Honolulu, HI

#19 Sep 23, 2007
I'm only sure of these 4 things.

1) Super Ferry will eventually leave Hawaii within a year.

2) The rich and powerful will still have their way on building developments and homes they want on all the islands.

3) We will always have low voter turn-out and the status-quo will always be in office (same people running for council, mayor, congress,legislature...)

4) If you are born in Hawaii today (or even 20+ years ago) your chance of buying a home is zilch.
The Silicon Empire

Honolulu, HI

#20 Sep 23, 2007
No Supa Ferry wrote:
I don't want to be a suburb of Oahu.
You're not. You're a suburb of San Jose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Koloa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Join a focus group on Kaua'i transportation on ... Feb '17 kauaifocusgroup 1
Omao Music Thread (Sep '15) Feb '17 Musikologist 4
Eleele Music Thread (Feb '16) Oct '16 Musikologist 2
Proof on website proving Police Misconduct and ... (Apr '06) Sep '16 anaon 13
News Former church secretary jailed for theft - Hawa... (Dec '08) Jan '16 Victim 12
News Insurer punished for failing to pay claim - News (Jan '09) May '15 Joe Balls 51
News New record temperatures set at Lihue, Honolulu ... (Oct '14) May '15 Joe Balls 3

Koloa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Koloa Mortgages