Hey Kew wrote:
If you don't like Indians then you shouldn't have moved here, because Us Indians plan on staying here!! Don't go to Chiloquin if you don't like it. Besides most of the people living there are white anyway. Most of our relatives got shipped off when their land was stolen from them when the settlers came here and squatted on the Modoc's land!! Loaded them up like cattle and shipped our people off on trains like cattle, then cut the heads off the few that tried to fight for their way of life and their land , then put there heads on display in a museum !!!! I am sorry if your child was assaulted. If that was my kid that did that I would have warmed his butt up for him , as I know most of the other Indian parent's in Chiloquin would have also. I do not condone any violence on anyone especially a child. I will have a talk with my children about racism.. Sorry if I started rambling but your post was a little insulting to Chiloquin People.. A lot of Californians that move here try to rule all the land that isn't even a part of their property with fences claiming it's private property when it is not. I am a Klamath Modoc Tribal member from Chiloquin and have lived here for 42 years all of my life, and have seen it all.. I also attended Chiloquin Schools and graduated from them which was a great place to grow up.. Unfortunately it takes one kid or incident like this to make people hate the Indians and talk foul about Chiloquin. Chiloquin is a beautiful place to live and grow up, and I am not just saying that because I am Indian, because I am a light colored Indian, way lighter skinned than the rest of my family, and was never beaten up or picked on in Chiloquin schools. If it ever happens again maybe you should talk to the parent's of the kid that did the wrong, because I know all the Indian people I know would correct their child the way it should be done...
You forgot Kintpuash otherwise known as Captain Jack, a son of a Modoc chief that held off the US Army and for all intents and purposes beat the US. The only way that the army could get ahead of Captain Jack and his relatively small force was to use an over whelming amount of troops, surround them in what is now the Lava Beds National Park and starve them out. The Army couldn't beat them in normal combat.

As far as Klamath Falls is concerned, it would depend on what time frame one is discussing. I have no idea how it is now. I was born there and lived there during the 40s and 50s. It used to be a tough town with corrupt police, back woods rednecks, and the usual idiots that were always looking for trouble. Much of the town still had boardwalks instead of sidewalks. An old hotel at the north end of main-street still had bullet holes in it's walls that the owner was proud to display. Klamath Union High School was the only high school for miles around and pulled students in from the surrounding woods, farms, and ranches. I was granted a restricted drivers license for going only to school and groceries when I was 14 years old because there was no school or regular bus transportation from where I lived to school. Many of the kids only went to school one half day because they had to go home and help with farm or ranch chores.

Until I was 15, I never lived in a house that had electricity or running water. There was a pump in the back yard. The toilet was a 2 hole outhouse some 75 feet behind the house.

Klamath began as a timber town, it was very 'rustic' for a long time and had a personality to match. Sort of the wild west meets timber country. I suspect that today it is no worse or better than any other town of it's size....