First Prev
of 2
Next Last
know it all

Spanish Fort, AL

#21 May 28, 2010
susan is now working at sea scape. the last word i got its now almost brock.?????????
Yankee

Rockville, VA

#22 May 29, 2010
Sea Scape the golf course or Sea Scape the villas?
KNOW IT ALL

Spanish Fort, AL

#23 May 30, 2010
VILLAS
Yankee

Potomac, MD

#24 May 30, 2010
Selling time shares or cleaning I'm sorry that was rude. I've never met her and am sure she is a normal person who realized her mistake when she married dougie. Oh I do entertain myself!!
kdher

Manteo, NC

#25 May 31, 2010
too bad you have to have a subscription to read the article
your mom

Linden, NC

#26 Jun 2, 2010
Yankee wrote:
Selling time shares or cleaning I'm sorry that was rude. I've never met her and am sure she is a normal person who realized her mistake when she married dougie. Oh I do entertain myself!!
I entertained your mom last night.
Yankee

Manteo, NC

#27 Jun 7, 2010
Here comes the name calling.
Kenny

Virginia Beach, VA

#28 Jul 1, 2010
I was wondering if that was the same Susan Seay that is working at Sea Scape. I am an owner of one week at Sea Scape and I am concerned about what's happening over there. If she is the same person, I have to wonder why our Sea Scape board would hire someone who has a lawsuit pending against them due to mishandling an associations's money.

I have the article from the Sentinel and I got curious after reading the pending lawsuit against the Seays. You can do a Google search and find copies of the lawsuit.
Kenny

Virginia Beach, VA

#29 Jul 1, 2010
Article from Outer Banks Sentinel dated 10/1/09

Homeowners association takes legal action
BY SANDY SEMANS | SENTINEL STAFF


The Sandpiper Cay Condominium Owners Association Inc. has filed a civil suit against its former president, property manager and management company - Douglas Seay, Susan Seay and Sandpiper Management Co., respectively.

According to the suit filed on behalf of the association by attorney John Leidy of the firm Hornthal, Riley, Ellis & Maland of Elizabeth City, Douglas Seay served on the association's board of directors from 1991 until he resigned in 2007. From 1991 to 1994, he served as secretary; after that, he served as president until his departure.

The suit alleges that Douglas Seay diverted a portion of hurricane insurance proceeds to his own accounts between 1999 and 2004. The complaint states that hurricane damage was repaired by unqualified contractors without warranties and the remainder of the proceeds was taken by Douglas Seay without authority or knowledge of the board. The complaints estimates that $100,000 was diverted to his use.

The court document also claims that Douglas Seay failed to keep accurate books and records and did not arrange for an independent audit of the association's financial records. And, states the complaint, he failed to assess adequate association dues and to maintain a capital reserve account.

Susan Seay, Douglas Seay's former wife, and her management company, Sandpiper Management Co., the complaint claims, was contracted in 1993 to serve as the exclusive managing agent and the chief executive officer of the association "with broad authority to manage the operations and affiars of plaintiff."

Incorporation documents for the company filed with the North Carolina Secretary of State show that both of the Seays were officers in the corporation before the company entered into the contract with the association and two years before the couple married in 1995.

According to the complaint, Susan Seay failed to perform her duties, which included hiring and paying contracts, maintaining proper record-keeping, collect and properly record assessments, furnish monthly financial statements, arrange for annual independent audits, and schedule maintenance work.


The plaintiffs also allege that Susan Seay paid herself $13,479 more than she was owed under the contract terms.

In addition, the complaint alleges she allowed Douglas Seay to breach his fiduciary duties to the plaintiffs and did not report such to the board.

According to the complaint, both of the Seays converted property owned by the association to their own use and took the items with them when they were terminated.

The complaint asks that the court order the repayment of funds, court costs, and the cost of reconstructing the association's books, as well as pay other damages.

Attempts to reach the Seays were unsuccessful.
Kitty

Snow Hill, NC

#30 Aug 18, 2010
Kenny wrote:
I was wondering if that was the same Susan Seay that is working at Sea Scape. I am an owner of one week at Sea Scape and I am concerned about what's happening over there. If she is the same person, I have to wonder why our Sea Scape board would hire someone who has a lawsuit pending against them due to mishandling an associations's money.
I have the article from the Sentinel and I got curious after reading the pending lawsuit against the Seays. You can do a Google search and find copies of the lawsuit.
Yes...this is teh same person.
Joe

Manteo, NC

#31 Aug 18, 2010
he is the biggest slumlord around.
flags

Roanoke Rapids, NC

#32 Aug 19, 2010
Kenny wrote:
Article from Outer Banks Sentinel dated 10/1/09
Homeowners association takes legal action
BY SANDY SEMANS | SENTINEL STAFF
The Sandpiper Cay Condominium Owners Association Inc. has filed a civil suit against its former president, property manager and management company - Douglas Seay, Susan Seay and Sandpiper Management Co., respectively.
According to the suit filed on behalf of the association by attorney John Leidy of the firm Hornthal, Riley, Ellis & Maland of Elizabeth City, Douglas Seay served on the association's board of directors from 1991 until he resigned in 2007. From 1991 to 1994, he served as secretary; after that, he served as president until his departure.
The suit alleges that Douglas Seay diverted a portion of hurricane insurance proceeds to his own accounts between 1999 and 2004. The complaint states that hurricane damage was repaired by unqualified contractors without warranties and the remainder of the proceeds was taken by Douglas Seay without authority or knowledge of the board. The complaints estimates that $100,000 was diverted to his use.
The court document also claims that Douglas Seay failed to keep accurate books and records and did not arrange for an independent audit of the association's financial records. And, states the complaint, he failed to assess adequate association dues and to maintain a capital reserve account.
Susan Seay, Douglas Seay's former wife, and her management company, Sandpiper Management Co., the complaint claims, was contracted in 1993 to serve as the exclusive managing agent and the chief executive officer of the association "with broad authority to manage the operations and affiars of plaintiff."
Incorporation documents for the company filed with the North Carolina Secretary of State show that both of the Seays were officers in the corporation before the company entered into the contract with the association and two years before the couple married in 1995.
According to the complaint, Susan Seay failed to perform her duties, which included hiring and paying contracts, maintaining proper record-keeping, collect and properly record assessments, furnish monthly financial statements, arrange for annual independent audits, and schedule maintenance work.
The plaintiffs also allege that Susan Seay paid herself $13,479 more than she was owed under the contract terms.
In addition, the complaint alleges she allowed Douglas Seay to breach his fiduciary duties to the plaintiffs and did not report such to the board.
According to the complaint, both of the Seays converted property owned by the association to their own use and took the items with them when they were terminated.
The complaint asks that the court order the repayment of funds, court costs, and the cost of reconstructing the association's books, as well as pay other damages.
Attempts to reach the Seays were unsuccessful.
Very interesting. Thank you for the info. I agree with a prior post that this is NOT a CIVIL matter, it is a CRIMINAL one if the allegations can be proven. I have many many friends living in the Cay and have heard that association dues are pretty steep... I will suggest that they attend the next association meeting to revisit the dues and ask exactly what they are going for after reading this info.
Sandpiper Cay Civil Suit

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#33 Feb 3, 2011
Sandpiper Cay Condominium Owners Association Inc. vs. Douglas and Susan Seay. Has this civil suit gone anywhere? Does anyone have updated information?
virtuallee

Manteo, NC

#34 Mar 15, 2011
Truth is, he stole way more than the amount stated in the article. Don't know why he's getting off so easy. Susan... well, she's just plain stupid. Fake tits look nice, though.
Golden guy

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#35 Jul 10, 2012
Does anyone know what happened In court?
Golden guy

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#36 Jul 10, 2012
I heard Doug had to pay $1.00
How much money did the current board pay for attorney fees?
Paul

Manteo, NC

#37 Jul 10, 2012
Golden guy wrote:
I heard Doug had to pay $1.00
How much money did the current board pay for attorney fees?
The owners of Sandpiper Cay themselves are the ones who are ultimately paying this price via the association dues and the black mark on this community as a whole after what the Seay's LACK of management did for the reputation of such a wonderful community. Things don't just go away overnight. And this one will not either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kitty Hawk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spring cleaning for real estate companies Jan 17 obx77 2
News Remember the Nags Head Casino? (Apr '10) Jan 9 Ray 19
gaybx Jan 7 Mr Slave 4
missy marvin (Feb '13) Jan 1 Hootsky palladootsky 83
Manteo popo boohoo Dec 28 Boss hog 1
Nate Beane Dec '16 Maj Skidmark 4
W1 and W3 and MHS involved in Manteo shooting, ... (Jun '13) Dec '16 bigdawgg 39

Kitty Hawk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kitty Hawk Mortgages