Rat out bad neighbors with click of a...

Rat out bad neighbors with click of a mouse

There are 47 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 1, 2008, titled Rat out bad neighbors with click of a mouse. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Annoying neighbors, beware: You may be known as the jerk next door. What was once over-the-fence gossip is showing up on a Web site that lets residents in Central Florida and nationwide vent about their nasty ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Since: Nov 07

Cocoa, FL

#23 Feb 1, 2008
Earthling wrote:
dont like my barking dogs and my napping cats..so what?
You sound like the person who the web site was developed for.

You would be the first to complain if they blasted music at all hours, why don't you control your yapping mutts?
Jammer

Orlando, FL

#24 Feb 1, 2008
Allison wrote:
<quoted text>
It's pretty obvious this site and its comments are OPINIONS. Opinions are protected from slander and libel...you can't sue someone for having a nasty opinion of you, even if they do tell the world about it.
This may or may not be true....However, it doesn't mean the site owner(s) themselves can't be sued for having the site.....although I haven't visited the site (and don't plan too) I'm sure it is in their "terms and conditions" that users are responsible for comments which pushes the blame off onto commenter/posters in the event there is a lawsuit. The internet is changing at the speed of light, there are more and more instances we are hearing of people being sued for remarks and comments being made on blogs and the like...I suspect it won't be long until the internet is handled like another slander/libelous suit.....Care should always be taken in situations where you are "reporting" or commenting on other people...You never know when the lawyer will come knocking on your door......

Since: Nov 07

Cocoa, FL

#25 Feb 1, 2008
Jim wrote:
This is in the sites own words an "adult " site. Minors are not allowed on. Yet there are no protective measures to control this, other than to put it the terms and conditions. This is irresponsible of the site owners.
Not monitoring your kid's internet use is much more irresponsible than anything on that site. If you can't control your kids don't ask a site such as that one to do it for you!
Anonymous

Oviedo, FL

#26 Feb 1, 2008
Allison wrote:
<quoted text>
It's pretty obvious this site and its comments are OPINIONS. Opinions are protected from slander and libel...you can't sue someone for having a nasty opinion of you, even if they do tell the world about it.
It depends on how you word your comments as to whether the law will recognize them as opinions are not. There is absolutely potential for libel and slander with this website.
Native Downtowner

Orlando, FL

#27 Feb 1, 2008
white trash reporting about white trash. very slow. glorified google map
Angel Sanchez

Dallas, TX

#28 Feb 1, 2008
sunnydaze wrote:
Does rottenneighbor allow for other languages than English so the neighbors we are speaking of understand? I hope so.
Adios
Learn some english!
Don

Clearwater, FL

#29 Feb 1, 2008
Allison wrote:
<quoted text>
If those "opinions" interfere with someone's ability to make a living, sell a house, or otherwise causes them damage, it is no longer an opinion. You should read up on it and its effect on blogging.
Law abiding

Orlando, FL

#30 Feb 1, 2008
Fred wrote:
Another website for the anal retentive.
Well said.
Cousin Elmo

Lady Lake, FL

#33 Feb 1, 2008
Chauncey wrote:
Your best bet is to get some muscle and go over and just beat the merde out of some of these jerks because like the previous poster said, you won't get any satisfaction out of reporting code violations or calling the cops. Most of these creeps are renters with slum landlords who could care less. Calling the landlords get you cursed at and insulted and called names. The only thing a lot of these kids understand is broken bones and promises to be floaters in the swamp if they don't quit and / or pack up and leave. Sorry to say, but citizen vigilantes are having to be the answer increasingly because the authorities themselves in too many cases are PR jerks and ciminals themselvs. Sometimes, like it or not, maybe it takes burning out a rat pack to get them gone.
What you are suggesting makes you a criminal. And I see by your "PR" statement you are one of our fine upstanding bigots. You'd be a great neighbor !
Allison

United States

#34 Feb 1, 2008
Jammer wrote:
<quoted text>
This may or may not be true....However, it doesn't mean the site owner(s) themselves can't be sued for having the site.....although I haven't visited the site (and don't plan too) I'm sure it is in their "terms and conditions" that users are responsible for comments which pushes the blame off onto commenter/posters in the event there is a lawsuit. The internet is changing at the speed of light, there are more and more instances we are hearing of people being sued for remarks and comments being made on blogs and the like...I suspect it won't be long until the internet is handled like another slander/libelous suit.....Care should always be taken in situations where you are "reporting" or commenting on other people...You never know when the lawyer will come knocking on your door......
I AM the lawyer...which is why I state that there is no case for publishing your opinions.
Allison

United States

#35 Feb 1, 2008
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
If those "opinions" interfere with someone's ability to make a living, sell a house, or otherwise causes them damage, it is no longer an opinion. You should read up on it and its effect on blogging.
That's a different cause of action...i.e. tortious interference with _______(insert action here).
Change Agent

Columbia, SC

#36 Feb 1, 2008
Donna U wrote:
WHAT A GREAT IDEA! WISH I HAD THOUGHT OF IT FIRST! NOW WE ARE NO LONGER GOING BLINDLY INTO THE DARK, BUT ARE ARMED WITH VITAL INFORMATION ABOUT OUR SAFETY IN A NEIGHBORHOOD WHERE SOME OF US HAVE CHILDREN PLAYING.
BRING IT ON.
CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED.
and what do you do when someone posts lies about your children?
this site will no more provide you with valid information about your neighbors or prospective neighborhood than the national enquirer publishes legitimate news.

this is a horribe concept. i understand it is legal. but it underscores the miserable society we have become.
Jammer

Orlando, FL

#37 Feb 1, 2008
Allison wrote:
<quoted text>
I AM the lawyer...which is why I state that there is no case for publishing your opinions.
As long as they are "opinions" (you know the old saying.......). However, I expect things will be changing in the near future in regards to the way blogs and the like are handled....Especially if it impedes on someone or something because of something someone wrote about a certain person....
Dieseldan

Anchorage, AK

#38 Feb 1, 2008
I hope this site has an automatic method to purge outdated comments and postings after some period - like 6 months or a year.

Just imagine how outdated and untrue posted comments all over this site would become of not automatically deleted. Without such a mechanism this site would quickly lose any sense of accuracy and relevance by becoming totally outdated and overcome by life's events.

The offended (or pleased) neighbors could always re-post new current comments if they still had an opinion to share about a property or its occupants - say 6 months later, after the expiration of their original posting.
Choo Choo

Winnemucca, NV

#39 Feb 10, 2008
Do they have one for Rednecks?
garym1

Naples, FL

#40 Feb 10, 2008
Great ideal. I must use it
Jim

Tampa, FL

#41 Feb 11, 2008
Iso wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you take responsibility for your own "minors" instead of wanting the rest of the world to do it?
Unwilling to help in the community? I do not object to your freedom of speech, however you are speaking in public. When you do not guard your words it impacts the place I live. It impacts my rights. Police yourself or the Freeking government will do it for us. Your attitude brings the legalist idiots upon us.
Denise

Shreveport, LA

#42 Apr 1, 2008
I think it would be a good idea to call a neighborhood meeting & sit down & discuss rationally things that bother each other & simply agree to fix it. But, sounds like fantasy right? United we stand-United States, all balogna. If we were this so called union, people would realize noone would have to suffer if we really could work together. It is maturity when asked to turn down your music that you simply ablige. Your dogs are barking loudly then feed them or walk them. Don't we have enough problems in this world than to have to be so spiteful. I believe we need to stick together & stop bickering over such rediculous things & just deal with neighbor problems like adults. Bless you all.
steve

San Luis Obispo, CA

#43 Jun 5, 2008
so whos going to build the website?
i know 100s of people who say yes!
june

AOL

#44 Jun 12, 2008
chill you are the worst neighbor i have ever encountered, your arogant and self serving and lazy ----- clean up your own messes and stop thinking everyone has to be your servent...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kissimmee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Settling cruise bill has been rough sailing (Mar '08) Jun 24 GFL 262
Review: Celebration Mobile Pet Grooming Jun 24 AshleySawyer1983 5
ARMORED CATFISH aka BROWN HOPLO, CASCADU, HASSA (Sep '09) Jun 23 Jay 17
Living in Poinciana, FL (May '07) Jun 20 ashmoe2387 176
News Woman accused of stealing identity of dental hy... Jun 17 Day 1
News Family's excruciating Orlando journey ends in f... Jun 17 atheist 1
does anyone know dewey rowe ministries (Jan '12) Jun 15 Fat guy with pony... 50
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kissimmee Mortgages